Time for squid yet?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for squid yet?
    Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:30am
FOM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all,

I know it's a bit early, but I'm really keen to get going with squid fishing. I did some very limited squid fishing in the South African navy more than 25 years ago and now I've been obsessing about it for the past few weeks. I've gotten myself 5 jigs and I've tried twice from the kayak and once from a wharf in Tamaki drive, but nothing, only managed to lose my 6th jig. Catching in shallow water is nothing like catching in deep water from a navy ship, so I'm pretty keen to see what someone else is doing and see where they're doing it.

So... Has anyone been out squiding lately and when would be a reasonable time to start looking for the critters?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stripstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 9:12am
Stripstrike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi,

I usually start squid fishing in mid May each year, although people have already been fishing for the last couple of weeks and it seems that reasonable numbers of squid are being caught in the usual places, Tamaki Drive, North Shore bays and up at Leigh. As you would expect they are still reasonably small at this time of year, and will tend to take smaller fast sinking jigs 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0

Just a matter of picking the right tide and moon after dusk and you should be good to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:16am
FOM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Stripstrike, that's good to know. I'll head up to the Northshore when next I get a chance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wikipeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 6:56am
Wikipeter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Stripstrike Stripstrike wrote:

Hi,

I usually start squid fishing in mid May each year, although people have already been fishing for the last couple of weeks and it seems that reasonable numbers of squid are being caught in the usual places, Tamaki Drive, North Shore bays and up at Leigh. As you would expect they are still reasonably small at this time of year, and will tend to take smaller fast sinking jigs 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0

Just a matter of picking the right tide and moon after dusk and you should be good to go.

What is a good moon for this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stripstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 9:47am
Stripstrike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Wikipeter Wikipeter wrote:

What is a good moon for this?

Ideally a full moon, or a couple of days either side of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 10:56am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its definitely time to squid.went out last night for a sesh and got a nice haul of 17 in total.. i got 11 and my mate got 6. North shore area. yo-zuri 2.5 rattle in orange and natural yama****a 2.5 pillie colour doing the damage

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dukeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:47pm
Dukeas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If fishing from a boat at night with underwater light, what basic area do you think suitable please? As in harbour, open ocean?
I'm Whangaroa. Just setting up boat with lights.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:55pm
FOM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by DenimViper DenimViper wrote:

its definitely time to squid.went out last night for a sesh and got a nice haul of 17 in total.. i got 11 and my mate got 6. North shore area. yo-zuri 2.5 rattle in orange and natural yama****a 2.5 pillie colour doing the damage

Damn that's looking good!

So you're not particularly worried about the weather? I thought people say you need fairly calm weather for squid, but last night was not particularly calm according to WindGuru.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 9:43pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try and find shelter from wind.usually its fine 10 - 12 knots. Dont have to cast too far so if wind in your face just move to another spot