Rotoiti

Page  <1 1011121314 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 5:03pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just returned from a good stint at Rotoiti with a bin full of fantastic fish mostly 3kg and over.     As they say at the hatchery the fish are right now in the best condition before some of it gets converted into roe and milt.    Fish are mainly holding between 23-25 m but some are also in  shallower water.     Place to be is off the point to the right of Ruato Bay.

Cheers Rainbow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 7:49am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to hear, Herb. They sound like superb fish. Well done.
Were you jigging with your own green smelt creation?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:43pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Some fish from the trip.    all flies are my own made from feathers or synthetic living fiber  

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 9:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

nice one, Rainbow. 
looks like beautiful conditions for a paddle, and the fish look in superb nick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 12:10pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

would love to be flicking a fly around the shorelines today after all that rain, sure to be some fish moving in! nice fish there Rainbow!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 1:38pm
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great minds think alike RC...I've just told my office lady that I've got some "clients" to see this afternoon, and probably won't be back in the office today Wink lol.
Will post a report if anything interesting happens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 3:34pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I have been fishing pretty much all my life but never stopped learning.   Over the last couple of years I have been envying the boaties with their Minn Kota I Anchor electric motor.     They hold over fish or slowly move their flies through them.    Well, last week I met a local school teacher fishing from his kayak who achieved the same effect without spending an additional cent.    When the stiff westerly kicked in he simply lined his bow up into the wind and waves and with  easy paddle strokes held the kayak in position to maintain a vertical line to the fish.    By contrast I was using a drogue and still drifted too fast even with a 3 once sinker.     So I changed over to my "Armstrong Two Stroke" motor,  jammed the rod under my legs and let the waves move my flies.   I am still surprised how easy and how affective that was.   With me holding the yak in position and the waves working my flies I did not have to wait long before the rod buckled over.     Problem solved.     Now before someone asks why I didn't use a rod holder to hang the rod out the answer is that I had left it in the car sitting in the Ruato carpark.
Cheers
Rainbow
Ps    Although I am now gearing up for coming Tongariro winter I am really not looking forward to catching scaled down trout models. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

haha, well done Rainbow.
One of my first posts on the forum was about doing the same with oars and an old dinghy on Tarawera a few years ago.
Nose into the stiff SW wind in approx 20m, little choppy strokes and the rod between my feet, resting on a towel over the stern (no rod holders in the bach dinghy). I tried to keep the line vertical, and the sinker bouncing on the bottom. Every so often, the rod would buckle - fish on. Best fish was a 6lber on the Woolly Bugger on the bottom, the others were in the 3.5lb class. I didn't have a fish finder, so was blind fishing - but a lot of fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:18pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Most of my smelt flies are white, off white and grey.   With some I top them off with an olive wing.   As I have said before I use feathers and an English  product called Synthetic Living Fibres.    They all work but overall the grey ones work best.   I use chartreuse thread and pearl Mylar for the body.  It really glows under UV light.   Lately I have added stick on eyes encased in UV epoxy     It is a hassle and takes more time but I think the eyes add to the appeal.    As we all know every day is different on Wednesday when Adam Clancey was filming with Pat Swift the fishing was hard.    However Pat and his mate still ended up with some good fish, while I was struggling.    I am looking forward to see Adams videos on his TV channel.  
Cheers
Rainbow  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outram Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:41pm
Outram Nugget View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any luck today kooza?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 10:52am
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nope!...didn't make it out to Ruato/Transformer like I wanted to, will hopefully get there today.  Checked out Tarawera landing and Waitangi, and all quiet there.  Bit of a mess at the landing with a big slip coming down at the end of the carpark across the entrance to the track...you can still get across though.  

Fished Te Wairoa for a couple of hours but no signs of life.  There have been a couple of half decent runs through the trap, but sounds like the fish are moving straight through rather than hanging around off the mouth at the moment.  Reports from Bugsy and Bob were that things have been quiet, even with all the rain. 

Also fished Waitangi for a couple of hours and there is some good flow coming through, however all quiet there as well.  The combination of the warm days (20 degrees here today) and full moon aren't helping much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:21pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nothing much hapening at the pipe,Ruato and Okataina last night and this morning.Non of the regular fishos either so must have died off or has it even started yet??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 4:00pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate of mine is reasonably regular down there and came back from a 3 or 4 day trip just recently with a few fish. Think he averaged 2 or 3 per night shore fishing. Average around 6 - 6.5lbs from what I saw in the photos. One nicely smoked fillet kept my snack cravings at bay until I finished it yesterday. Love smoked trout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 5:13pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm down there Thursday to sunday so something better be making the fish moving! I'm so good at timing my trips for the slow fishing periods
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 5:23pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah no the feeling,All of last season i timed it when the fish were not in.Rain or not it didnt seem to matter!Let us know how you get on PM if you like
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:05pm
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Down sat to tues. See a few of u on the lake maybe 🤔
Blue ali side console
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:17pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

will keep eye out for you- current very average forecasting is steering me towards rotoiti thur, okataina Friday maybe tarawera sat as quite fresh south west sat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:08pm
Silver
Silver

staying at blue lake top 10 , drop me a txt  over the weekend for a catch up on a lake 021704373
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:52pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

stayed there once - really nice spot. Are you planning on going anywhere other than Rotoiti? Never been on Okataina so will have a look - maybe fly fish the log pool for a bit but mainly jiggy jiggy . Going to be a bit breezy I feel but I'm coming anyway.
I'm staying with our fly fishing club up the ngongotaha at the lodge. - will have boat of course.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:47am
Silver
Silver

WE are keeping it open, subject to weather , to fish any and all lakes around the area , so happy to catch u where ever and get the hot tips. Clap 
Page  <1 1011121314 31>