Rotoiti

Page  <1 1112131415 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:32am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gees other way around - ive got all the gear but not that much idea
Yes that's my plan mate - Saturday Tarawera looking good that southern end but probably Moose lodge area Rotoiti will be sheltered too - if I do ok on thur at Rotoiti probably go back sat but want to have a look at Okataina Friday in the rain but wind is ok then. fly fish log pool maybe?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:29am
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

you have a plan , we won't be into rotorua until lunch time sat , and most likely will hit Tarawera for the arvo 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:15pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome to call or text me on 021443055
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:33am
Silver
Silver

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:11am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate is down there again at the mo. Sent me a photo of 8 nice fat fishfrom Monday nights fishing. Sounds like it is starting to happen pretty good now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 3:42pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was down fishing Rotoiti Thursday and Friday and also managed Okataina.
Thursday we had a west about 10-15knots - a bit more at times - found some fish at Hauparu bay - caught a few but nothing startling - Hamils killer best fly - fish were in 25-30m
Friday went to Okataina - horrendous conditions to start with but settled down nicely - lost a beaut fly fishing a glow bug at Raynors 1 (small stream entering lake) that busted me off - hard to find any fish jigging at all.
Late afternoon effort on way back at Rotoiti - similar to Thursday - caught a few at Hauparu bay in similar depth on same fly but lost the fish after a while and couldnt find them again

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 3:42pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 4:52pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just off the phone from my mate who fished 5 nights last week. If I remember correctly went 8, 0, 2, 1, 4over the 5 nights fishing from the shore. Was moaning about an XOS fish that pulled the hook after a long fight. Apparently I have fresh smoked trout arriving tomorrow!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:31pm
Silver
Silver

down for the last 3 days , sorry redfinger my phone sucked it on Friday and had zero back up so didn't catch up Ouch, from all the fishos we ran into the fishing was tough. 
Fished 3 mornings on Tarawera ( as the wind beat us each arvo )  new to jigging it was the first try on the boat with my uncle ( guy in the photos )  .
5 fish over the 3 mornings , most in the 5lb mark very good nick and lots on fight in them . hope to hit the lakes again from october , but for now off sea fishing tomorrow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:40pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Eating smoked Rotoiti trout right now as I write this. Very,very nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 7:17pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice John- you did better than us- best just under and probably not as many as you!We will sort something out next season for sure!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 2:11pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Guys
I haven't been fly fishing/Trout fishing in general for nearly 6 years - just purchased a Winter Licence this week and am keen for some tips for where/when/what to use. 
I think my last decent fish I caught was on a cold wet and windy morning (around 6am from memory) wading out beside a big old Pine or Macrocarpa at the end of Tamatea St at the Eastern end of Rotoiti near a pipe ("The Pipe"?). I'm guessing that's as good a place as any to start, especially while the wind is coming from that end of the lake? 
I also have a jet ski that I currently do most of my sea fishing from and am wondering whether I should also bring that over since the lakes don't close to boats until the end of June. Any input appreciated. 
Cheers
Cliff
(weather is not that flash in Tauranga at the moment, so I was thinking "cold wet and windy - time to head over to Rotoiti and check to see that my waders don't have a leak!")
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:01pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Cliff, good to hear you're going to get back into the trout fishing. I'm pretty keen for some shoreline fly or lure flinging also. I've done my back in again, so no boating for me for awhile, so very keen to have a crack from the shore - pending permission from my physio. There was a good thread on this site last year about winter shoreline fishing around the lakes, with some good info. Heaps of spots - the bleaker the night the better! 

Unfortunately never got to have a jig on Rotoiti this year because of the blimmin' back. Might catch you soon. Steve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 7:47pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Im keen on a shoreline cast also, PM me if your going

http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 2:49pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone been out this season yet? Hoping to get out on the lake after labour weekend!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:53pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im down for a few days after labour weekend - tue to Thursday - Pat has been out at least once and did well 2-3kg fattys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:49pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGXI0FuC7kk     

Hi All     Has anyone done any jigging at Rotoiti or Okataina lately?    

Rob Fort and I are keen to  start another season with our kayaks.     Water temperature is coming up but are the fish still spread out or stacking up in the usual places?    Any information would be most appreciated as coming to Rotoiti from the Coro or New Plymouth takes a fair while and needs to be justified with decent prospects

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:59pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I tried last Tuesday and failed miserably - saw a few fish Gisborne pt and down eastern end but despite numerous follows by fish on the sounder screen no hits sorry to report - tried green flies, bully flies, smelt flies - nada. Fish we saw were with the smelt schools close to bottom around 20m mark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:45pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was down at Rotoiti last weekend, much the same as Redfinger. Shot out for 2 or 3 brief sessions for an hour at a time for nothing. Really struggled to find the fish to be honest. From what I hear, your best chances are the Western end of the lake from West Bank down towards the Ohau Channel at the moment. Saw very little trout or smelt sign at Hauparu etc. 

When I did find fish they were 5-10m down in 20-25m of water, certainly not on or near the bottom. Would suggest harling or fly fishing from the boat would be a bit more effective at the moment as there are a few fish in close smelting from what I could see. 

I always find October and November to be the 2 toughest months of the open season for boat fishing Rotoiti. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:37pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard luck, Big Man (aka RF). I'm sure it wasn't for the lack of trying.
Page  <1 1112131415 31>