Rotoiti

Page  <1 910111213 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 3:09pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If we dont catch any fish we could stick those flies of yours in flour and some egg and eat them instead! They look that realistic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 11:20am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, another very interesting day trip on Saturday to Lake Rotoiti with Redfinger on his well set up FC430CC fishing machine, thanks to his generous invitation. 
Tough work despite big numbers of fish on RF's fish finder, but as you can see below, I took home a lovely 2.5kg jack which made for a delicious lunch on Sunday with fresh bread (the photo was after our 2-year-old helped himself to some near the tail when I had my back turned - he loves it).
Redfinger will no doubt post a report about his success trialling a new technique. I won't steal his thunder.
A real highlight was bumping into (not literally, fortuitously given he's on a kayak!) Herb (aka 'Rainbow' off the forum) who has generously sent both me and Russell flies over the years.
I thought I recognised Herb from his NZ Fishing News articles and forum posts, and sure enough, it was the master drifting towards us. We had a nice chat and found he was having a similarly tough day, despite doing exactly the same thing, in the same place, as he had done two days earlier for 20 fish.
That's fishing, as they say! We struggled to answer why they just weren't biting.
Incidentally, my fish were caught on my own ties - a Green Sparkle Rabbit, and a fluoro green/brown back version of the smelt flies pictured above. Great company, good to be out in a beautiful spot, and with a stunning lunch as the end result.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 1:12pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was down at Rotoiti 2 weekends ago, minimal fishing as the wind wasn't great and had some golfing / family commitments. Got an hour in on the Sat avo and managed 3 fish all around 4lb jigging, then short out for an hour Sunday morning solo and got 2 fish, 1 a nice 7lb jack and another smaller one. The 7lber was my best fish off there in recent months so happy with that. All caught on small silver smelt flies, they didn't want to touch the bigger flies. Like you saw good sign on the sounder with the fish generally holding near the bottom in 18 - 23m. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 1:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one, that 7lber would be a very nice fish given the condition Rotoiti fish seem to have.
At one point Redfinger had a triple hook up - or that's what he called it on the match tally at the end! LOL - which were actually giant smelt. It was like watching someone pulling in jack mackerels on a sabiki rig.

RF said the smelt grow much bigger there, but I've never seen anything like them while fly fishing in the shallows. Very white, shiny belly, and a big purple/mauve slash down the side.
It makes me wonder why trout would even bother with a tiny morsel like a size 10 smelt fly when those anchovy sized smelt are around in big schools.
But the reports like yours don't lie.Another one of those mysteries.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lester Lester - yes at one stage you may have been 2 nil up using your jig rig - however my new - SPLY- rig (consisting of softbait rod , wee sinker, 2m trace and ONE fly) bought me flying past you on the home straight.
A beautiful 2.5kg fatty on a wooly bugger, and two smaller specimens on Brown jelly bean made it a comprehensive thrashing 3-2.
If we count my trick fishing catching the 3 smelt on my 3 jig hooks - well too much!

Nothing worse than having 10 fish on sounder milling around your gear but not biting!

Thanks Lester for a fun filled day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 8:30pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

we snag those massive smelt regularly when they are stacked up, and your right I have no idea why the trout ignore the big rabbit fly I always have on to match the hatch in favour of a tiny sparse smelt fly...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 8:35pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yes nice to meet you guys in person after sort of knowing so much about you from this forum      Two days before chancing into you I did some filming with Rob Fort for his YouTube series    "Reel Screaming Kayaks"  and we had a ball.     It ill be out in the April edition.     I am constantly learning about trout jigging since I only occasionally do it as a break from sea fishing or throwing flies into the Tongariro.    My fish finder is a Lowrance Elite 5 Chirp and in the past I have only used the sonar screen.    Where we were the lake was full of arches which in the past has translated into lots of fish.    At times my flies were right in among them and no arch showed any interest.     It was not until I included the down scan screen along side the sonar screen that I got a much clearer picture of what were fish and what were not.     On the down scan if a fish or the kayak is  moving fish show up as dots.    However if everything is more or less stationary fish show up as short lines.   When compared with the arches it becomes clearer what arches are fish.    This helped me a lot to target the right fish signs.   I also changed the DS screen to green/yellow for a better definition.  
At last I got all the Insight Genesis maps of the lakes on Mchip cards thanks to Ken Parker of Rotorua 021946554.   He installs fish finders and train users.   So if you have any issues with your electronics or want to know how to get the best from them give him a call     He is most instructive and helpful
Must get my gear ready because we are going out wide tomorrow chasing tuna .
Cheers to all
Rainbow 
Incidentally the day after the lean day when I met you guys the fish were biting quite well but on Sunday it was even better and I hooked 15 and took home 8 prime specimen.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:07pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Happy to report I nailed a ripper of an 11lb jack jigging this morning. First trophy fish so absolutely stoked! 100s of hours went into that one! Took a small smelt fly in 16m and is destined for the wall at the bach
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:21pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well done Rich, congrats..
Any pics?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 1:45pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Congratulations there Rich - me too would love to see a photo and of the finished product on the wall.
You have certainly put in the hard yards - well deserved
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 1:56pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[IMG][/IMG]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 1:57pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys, will try upload one from the computer later!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 3:17pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 3:28pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yep, will look nice on the wall.
Cracker fish Rich, well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

Great effort, mate. All good things come to he who doesn't give up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:55pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did it go like hell when you hooked it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:16pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

surprisingly it went straight for the surface mate, it looked a good fish when it thrashed about 20m off the back of the boat and I knew it was a 7lb plus model, but wasn't til it dug down deep and I felt the weight on that I realised it was all of that. couple of runs then cruised in until all he'll broke loose at the boat when it tried to run me under the motor haha. was solo so fair to say there was some nervous moments!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:18pm
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, great stuff. I bet your hands were shaking once you had it in the bag.
I'm just surprised it didn't have 'Property of Pat Swift' stamped on its back Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 7:38am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great trout RC17Thumbs Up
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 1:43pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Beauty fish mate!

Page  <1 910111213 31>