Rotoiti

Page  <1 89101112 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 4:28pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah - wonder if he sort of regrets that post now as only negative post in 9 pages on here. Bit strange really - maybe he wants to start a thread as what is trout fishing  really and why .
To the purist dry fly fisherman I can understand not his cup of tea and I know some other fly fisherman in rotorua and taupo areas that are anti jigging too.
There are plenty of fish for everyone really - jigging is fun for the family, anyone can do it , young, old and the infirm. 
Me personally - i concentrate on fly fishing in the winter mainly, do plenty of all sorts of other fishing in the meantime - jigging really only summer and a bit of Autumn and really enjoy it. Even finding the fish doent mean you will automatically catch them in numbers - presentation, the right rig and fishing it the right way are the key - sounds a wee bit like fly fishing ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 6:22pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

At the end of the day, the trout put up a much better fight on light spinning or jigging gear than the do on the 7-8wt gear the guys use to swing flies around the river mouths, actually I feel that spin fishing in general is much more sporting than fly fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 5:41am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry but I put a wink emoji. I intended it as a joke, not a serious criticsm.
I've done jigging as well as spinning and totally agree that there is skill involved in every way of fishing.
Again, apologies.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 11:08am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No apologies needed Big smile- I could hardly see detail of your emoji and couldnt see the wink  - eyesight going sorry!
 jigging isnt flyfishing really I agree  just another form of trout fishing that uses flies mostly so shares some presentation characteristics.
All good

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 1:32pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aha, thanks for letting us know. No worries in that case Fishb8!

On my screen there's just a tiny square after your question mark - technology thwarted your intended humour. With no smiley face or wink visible I was thinking 'what the?'.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 2:53pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TTK - How are you going designing the neverfail (ever) Rotoiti/Taupo smelt fly?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

I've got something in mind using the hair I just clipped out of my ears, some Christmas tinsel, and eyes from the neighbour's toddler's Barbie doll (left close to our back fence).
Mind you, I reckon Geoff was on to it with his orange Kaveman kabura. I didn't actually check whether he cut that off before he started.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:21pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have never jigged for trout before but I reckon a pair of 2" Flash J's with a strikepro cyber vibe as the weight would be what I tried with first
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 10:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

I picked up a few of those when you mentioned them on another thread, can't remember which, Makka. Maybe to do with sea runs?

This colour below looks like the real McCoy. The only question mark we had when discussing silicon lures etc was the paddle tail. Not sure if the little jiggling motion would activate them enough.

And Far Quirk would have a severe allergic reaction to $15 for a packet of them!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 7:41am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I find the paddle tails best for spinning. Not sure about jigging as never done it for trout.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 10:59am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Black magic jelly beans are very similar and come in 4-5 colours - however havent done muc good on them but probably user error!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 2:24pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was down at Rotoiti for a few days just after new years, once the storm had passed got out for a couple of jigging sessions. Not much luck around Gisborne Point, Hauparu etc. Got on to a few at West Bank but nothing big, most in the 3-4lb range. That area should fire up over the next couple of weeks though. Small silver smelt flies and ginger micks did the business. 

As a side note re: kaburas, I have thought recently they could be a good option when targeting kura feeders particularly down the hinehopu cliffs.... Probably the smaller 40g sizes. 

Just need to check the regs for Eastern re: 2 hook skirts as I'm not sure what the deal is there...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Here you go, Russell.

The prominent lateral line was inspired by Rainbow's photos of Rotoiti adult smelt early on this thread, and the ones in the fish I got a few weeks back. Pattern is based on the Jelly Bean Minnow in Flylife magazine 2012. The fly's designer mainly used it to imitate immature anchovies in the salt, but also commented on using the fly in suitable smelt proportions in the North Island lakes.

My first go with UV-cured resin (on the head and the first part of the wing materials), reasonably happy with the results. A bit of UV
Krystal Flash in there too, and the white wool I used for the underbody (under a Vinyl Rib overlay) glows under the UV light - always a good feature in my opinion. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:20pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice work Lester, they should do the trickBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:46am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Uncle. I haven't tied any trout flies for a while, and I initially struggled a bit with tying using the reading glasses I now use. Really tough at night, without a powerful light.

I also needed to get back up to speed about leaving room at the head - that old beginners' mistake. But also I'm used to tying very neat slim heads with nymphs etc and you need a bit of bulk on these patterns to attach the eyes to.
Got into the swing of it after the first couple...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 2:53pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gee Lester you are very talented , nice work- might pay to have someone that can actually catch fish test them (that is not me at moment).
Looking good for saturday if you are keen (mad enough) for another mission.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 3:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

You bet!

I earned pocket money as a teenager tying flies for an old outdoors and tackle store which used to be in downtown - near what is now Britomart precinct. Can't remember its name. Rabbits, Parsons Glories, Hare & Coppers etc. by the dozens on the old Mustad hooks. 

Tying has always been something I've loved doing, in particular trying to come up with a new recipe that slays em. It's probably cheaper to buy flies, particularly with the price of the synthetic materials out of the US, but it's just fun catching on something I've tied myself.

Let's find out on Saturday if these work! Hope the storm has passed through by then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:18pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice looking flies.     Hopefully the trout will think the same.    It is always satisfying to come up with something new and double so if it actually works.     I did a lot of winter fishing in the Tongariro and always wet lined the same pool.    The first couple of trips I slayed swinging smallish globugs then they went dead.    As the pool was full of snags I used the opportunity to  clean out one of my well stocked wet fly boxes.    In the process I rediscovered the Red Setters and replenished them when I lost the lot out of the fly box.   Again I got a heap of fish on the Setters and Variants but on the last trip I could not buy a bite on them so changed to a more Burgler  pattern in mainly green with a bit of flash.     Just goes to show that different flies have their day.    I found the same with smelt flies at Rotoiti last year.     Have not been there lately so have no idea if the fish are concentrating in certain places and at depths.
We are going to Kuratau for five days and I shall do some jigging with the kayak.
Have been out several times chasing tuna but have yet to score.    Got a 10,2kg king fish the other day but the tuna proving to be elusive despite water temp up to 23degrees yesterday and good colour too.

Good luck with the new flies

Cheers to all

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 7:04am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Top looking flies Lester - you're a multitalented man!
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:47am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Geoff, they look the part, but as Herb said, the proof will be in the smoker.

I've tied up a few Sparkle Rabbits and fluoro green Yellow Ladies in case the Jelly Belly Smelts are a fizzer.
Page  <1 89101112 31>