Shimano Ocea braid EX8 pe8/121lb

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 7:50am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Never used Ocea braid but personally i would stick to a manufacturer that makes braid for a living, not a rod and reel company trying to add another string to their bow.
Try Tasline Elite braid, this stuff is one of the best braids made and every batch is tested and average breaking strain is written on the spool.
 Thin yet ultra strong and very silky to the touch. Never had a wind knot personally using this braid either
Check out:
www.paulusjustfishing.com for a totally unbiased review of nearly every braid made and you will see why Paul rates this braid as number One.
 Prices are cheaper than Ocea braid too.
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 2:34pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Never used Ocea braid but personally i would stick to a manufacturer that makes braid for a living, not a rod and reel company trying to add another string to their bow.
Try Tasline Elite braid, this stuff is one of the best braids made and every batch is tested and average breaking strain is written on the spool.
 Thin yet ultra strong and very silky to the touch. Never had a wind knot personally using this braid either
Check out:
www.paulusjustfishing.com for a totally unbiased review of nearly every braid made and you will see why Paul rates this braid as number One.

"Never used Ocea braid" Ermm
Well that sums it up...
"Stick to a manufacturer that makes braid or a living"
Like YGK? who as far as i'm aware make it for Shimano.... LOL

"Trying to add another string to their bow"
Oh yeah because it's the first braid/superline the've sold....LOL
The've been selling power pro which is strong as sh*t (although a bit wire like compared to newer 'braids') for how long??? Once again made by a manufacture who knows what their doing(Innovative textiles i believe).

To be clear i'm not saying to Rikki use braid X, or don't use braid Y.
I have no affiliation with Shimano and have used the majority of the top end brands of 'braid' while you sell Tasline-just saying.
I've been on trips with guys using the Tasline, and yeah it's good stuffThumbs Up Only thing i see is if you're wanting coloured braid for jigging/deep drops then it's not available in the Tasline.

Kaveman - Just find it funny the whole bagging on a product thing with no knowledge of the product. It seems no matter how much evidence there is to support the product being up to scratch that's not good enough for some.

By all means Rikki, if you're not comfortable using it then change it out, you want to be able to trust your gear. Am still interested in your testing method though because something does not add up there. Good luck on the trip by the way.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 11:18pm
fishmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think the unfortunate reality is, that its often difficult to know how good the line is (that is on your specific reel) until its comes under pressure.. We were at the kings a few weeks ago and broke Varivas, Sunline, YGK and Ocea, dropped 8 fish over 7 days. All of that line except for the YGK was brand new. The Sunline was respooled and broke again? 

Our assumption was bad batches? nicks or wear in the line caused by crossovers under tension? hard to say...checking the leaders after a few crosses is worthwhile as we found more damage than we expected from those crossovers. 

We had YGK PE6 go at Ranfurly last week..again hard to know why but when I checked the drag on the guys reel (OJ 4000P - New, not modified) it pulled the scale to 24/25 kg at FULL SPOOL..we were in 130 so would of been higher than that.

The ideal but not easily viable would be to tie off your chosen rig, walk out 200m and pull up whatever you think you need for your fishing location..argument sake 30kg, you will soon see if there is anything over that 100 or 200 m that is weak.

The lines are all getting thinner and supposedly stronger but you have to wonder about the durability of the line. At $50/$60/$70 per 100m you would hope that the line would have a level of durability....what they need is a standard test for durability and market that...no use having the thinnest line break all the time..

www.hi-ika.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 2:04am
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

+1 Clem.
Definitely some lines seem to be more durable than others (atleast in my experience) odd though some of these issuesErmm
End of the day everyones got their own preference, i'm running half a dozen different types on various reels, maybe i've been lucky so farLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 9:54pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I avoid the "thinnest line" because they have less abrasion resistance.   The most reliable braids don't tend to be the thinnest around.

If you really want good advice, phone Lance on Enchanter.  He has real world experience on the braids that are reliable and braids that are not.  027 4800181.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 8:34am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fishy11 Fishy11 wrote:

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Check out:

"Never used Ocea braid" Ermm
Well that sums it up...
"Stick to a manufacturer that makes braid or a living"
Like YGK? who as far as i'm aware make it for Shimano.... LOL

"Trying to add another string to their bow"
Oh yeah because it's the first braid/superline the've sold....LOL
The've been selling power pro which is strong as sh*t (although a bit wire like compared to newer 'braids') for how long??? Once again made by a manufacture who knows what their doing(Innovative textiles i believe).

Bang on mate,

People also forget braid line hates heat, And ive seen countless stores using a rag on the spool to hold tension (generating heat) while spooling and causing the braid to weaken. Funny how things like this get forgotten.

Also things like not laying the line tightly on the spool will cause the braid to cut into itself which also causes breakages and is very common - I see it here several times a week 
I'll act my age when im 69
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 9:03am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

People get too caught up in using name brands....

I've been getting braid in from Aliexpress for sometime.
Saratoga, Anglers choice & other names 8 strand 500m for $14 (Aus)
plus free shipping mate!! my 2 best mates like it..... 10, 20, 30, 80. 100 for a friend too who went to the Kings said was great never had any probs.... Gosen is very nice stuff.

Ordered some Tasline elite in 30lb 750m at $151 incl postage... Mussel rope is unforgiving... I like to try diff line, hooks, set ups...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 4:35pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Does the Ocea cast ok? Heard that wind knots might be a problem cause its limp? Want to use it far both jigging and casting...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 1:15am
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Stefan Stefan wrote:

Does the Ocea cast ok? Heard that wind knots might be a problem cause its limp? Want to use it far both jigging and casting...

Yeah casts mint, as good as any of the other decent quality braids.
Didn't seem to get any more wind knots than anything else i've used, for reference have used ygk, daiwa boat braid, daiwa j braid, varivas, power pro solid and hollow, jerry brown solid and hollow, suffix plus a heap of others.

Only time i've ever had a actual tangle/knot with it was my own fault, trying to break the line with a line tensioner after getting a lure snagged in the reef and let out a heap of line which got caught on other stuff around meEmbarrassed

Ties a real good FG knot tooThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:41am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have stuck to what i can trust.....YGK Jigman x 8 /Diawa Boat Braid/Tasline elite for casting.........The YGK has been the most consistent....have used at white/ranfurly and the three kings and YGK has been excellent.

"Also things like not laying the line tightly on the spool will cause the braid to cut into itself which also causes breakages and is very common - I see it here several times a week "
YEP.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 6:57am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers fellas, want to get a fair amount on my Shimano stradic 5000. I ll give it a go
Page  <12