Shimano Ocea braid EX8 pe8/121lb

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grovo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shimano Ocea braid EX8 pe8/121lb
    Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 11:08pm
Grovo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Has anyone used this? Or currently using this? and has caught big fish on it?
Has it performed well? No light breakages?
Am heading up to the Kings on May, and have this stuff on the dogfight, have caught a few kings to 20kg and it seems fine so far. Just heard a disturbing sorry about a guy up there who had it breaking very easily, and on dry land popping at 18/19kg. I'm hoping this was a one off, or have others had issues with this product?
Am going to head down the gym and test the breaking strain of my spool, but was after some other real life experience.

Cheers, Mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grovo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 9:50pm
Grovo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bump, anyone?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 8:03am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven't used the PE8 but have caught plenty of kingis on PE4 both jigging and stickbait. 

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 7:35pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was waiting to see if anyone whos had first hand experience with it would reply before i put my spoke in.
Haven't fished with it myself but have been thinking about respooling a couple of reels used for topwater & jigging with it down the track.
From guys i know/have spoken to though they rate it pretty high for its price range and haven't had any of the issues you mentioned - these are guys chasing XXL GT's  in Aussie(40kg + fish)   and using the PE8 121lb stuff on stella 18,000's etc.

Have a look at the vid below if you get a sec 1:30 onwards, using the ocea braid on some decent fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 7:37pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Its super thin and supple. I hear its made by YGK
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 8:11pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:23pm
bush billy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have been running Ocea pe8 on the Epic adventures boat Coroking and its doing the job well day in day out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:02pm
Gatekeeper View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

If it can handle an EPIC session it can handle anything!!
There is never a better time to go fishing than now, live the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grovo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:22pm
Grovo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome Billy, that was exactly what I was after. Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 1:22pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I haven't had direct experience with using it but have heard those same rumours about it. One of the deckys on Enchanter said to me that they had a charter at The Kings with some guys having issues with it.

however if Owen is using day in day out with no issues perhaps just a bad batch. 
cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 5:52pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheeko- I'd take what some decky on Undersize Snapper & Co. Charters says with a grain a salt really(yes that's a dig)Shocked

As i said above, i havn't used the ocea braid yet, but personally know guys using it who i trust their word and have had zero bust offs due to the braid breaking, this is is on over a dozen popping and jigging combos being used for targeting XL GT's etc in Aus and around the world.
Ill probably run it on my next addition(saltiga 6500/or stella 18k) if i don't go for jerry brown solid instead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 7:06pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Cheeko Cheeko wrote:

I haven't had direct experience with using it but have heard those same rumours about it. One of the deckys on Enchanter said to me that they had a charter at The Kings with some guys having issues with it.

however if Owen is using day in day out with no issues perhaps just a bad batch. 
cheers 

I did a charter with Enchanter late jan 2016.. one of the guys was using this stuff on one of Lances super duper bass honey holes.. Lets just say there was some yelling after 4x fish lost with some jewelery attached.. usually in the form of a 1200grm earring. The ygk and daiwa boat braid held out with some thumping fish. bad batch maybe i dunno. Like shimano stuff but hmm might stick to me usual artillery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:00pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah but there is a big difference between being busted off from being run to ground/reefed or user area/ tackle used and the actual braid failing, sure that was the case?
I'd be willing to bet $$$ in a legit test that the ocea PE8 breaks higher than PE8 Boat braid, have seen that boat braid tested in front of me and there are plenty of results online that show it breakng around true breaking strain of 80lb(most tests between 75 and 85lb) where as i would be pretty suprised if you could get the PE8 ocea to break sub 100lb...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:47pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Fishy11 Fishy11 wrote:

Cheeko- I'd take what some decky on Undersize Snapper & Co. Charters says with a grain a salt really(yes that's a dig)Shocked

Thanks for the dig Clap Not sure how Enchanter is classed as Undersize Snapper and Co Charters though? 

Like I said, it was only what I have heard and have nothing against it as having not used it. 

cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 1:02pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah but there is a big difference between being busted off from being run to ground/reefed or user area/ tackle used and the actual braid failing, sure that was the case?
I'd be willing to bet $$$ in a legit test that the ocea PE8 breaks higher than PE8 Boat braid, have seen that boat braid tested in front of me and there are plenty of results online that show it breakng around true breaking strain of 80lb(most tests between 75 and 85lb) where as i would be pretty suprised if you could get the PE8 ocea to break sub 100lb...

Mate im well aware of the different scenarios, have done a few trips to the kings now so just sharing my experiences with what i seen first hand.. not just heard about. Firstly, the angler was an accomplished jigger ( he even caught an est 125kg stripey on a 460grm fallings last year, on jm monster pe6 no less.. which im told is made in the same factory as daiwa boat braid and pretty much the same stuff)but whether the ocea is better or breaks at higher breaking strain than dbb then thats another argument, it quite possibly is. all im saying is dbb has never let me down and i have seen the ocea fail.  sometimes no matter how good you are theres going to be fish that reef you even with heavy quality braid. In this situation the angler had some 3 or 4 fish up well up off the bottom out of the danger zone and line popped. pr knots and connections were solid. rod eyes were mint 2 with no nicks.  
Again, Nothing against shimano. Maybe it was just a bad batch.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 1:12pm
BigMike View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by pirate pirate wrote:

Mate im well aware of the different scenarios, have done a few trips to the kings now so just sharing my experiences with what i seen first hand.. not just heard about. Firstly, the angler was an accomplished jigger ( he even caught an est 125kg stripey on a 460grm fallings last year, on jm monster pe6 no less.. which im told is made in the same factory as daiwa boat braid and pretty much the same stuff)but whether the ocea is better or breaks at higher breaking strain than dbb then thats another argument, it quite possibly is. all im saying is dbb has never let me down and i have seen the ocea fail.  sometimes no matter how good you are theres going to be fish that reef you even with heavy quality braid. In this situation the angler had some 3 or 4 fish up well up off the bottom out of the danger zone and line popped. pr knots and connections were solid. rod eyes were mint 2 with no nicks.  
Again, Nothing against shimano. Maybe it was just a bad batch.

Actual experience vs hearsay? That's gotta be worth something
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 1:40pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd take actual experience anyway. And digs are not required
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 3:32pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Might not be first hand experience, but is from guys i am mates with / know personally and trust 100% when it comes to anything fishing related. Guys who have caught 60kg+ GT's, 80+kg Dogtooth tuna, 400+lb bluefin tuna all on jigs and topwater around the world so they know their sh*t.
Take it for what you will, everyone has an opinion on tackle and whats best, no biggie.

In regards to the 'dig'  it's called a joke manLOL, and that shady illegal goings on actually happened so is a fact plain and simple. For those that don't know google is your friend or ask around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rikki44852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 7:26pm
Rikki44852 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi I'm heading out to the kings and have this on a talica 25 was setting drag and just thought I'd check how it went at full drag and it snapped in the braid no where near the knot so tried again a couple of times and same result each time so hooked up to a set of scales and tested again while recording in slow motion and broke at 50 lbs every time and all about 100mm away from knot. But in a panic now as heading up Monday but not going to trust this line need to get it re spooled tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 2:12am
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rikki44852 Rikki44852 wrote:

Hi I'm heading out to the kings and have this on a talica 25 was setting drag and just thought I'd check how it went at full drag and it snapped in the braid no where near the knot so tried again a couple of times and same result each time so hooked up to a set of scales and tested again while recording in slow motion and broke at 50 lbs every time and all about 100mm away from knot. But in a panic now as heading up Monday but not going to trust this line need to get it re spooled tomorrow.

Would be interested to see this recording and how you had the test setup? For one talica 25's are meant to make 44lbs(20kg) max drag and you supposedly had the drag at max and the line was breaking at 50lbs.....(which is still obviously far less than it should be, just sounds really odd to me???)

Having now used it myself over the last 3-4 months up to drag levels that would stop 40kg+ GT's i can say first hand it is good stuffThumbs Up(since some a while back on here think people you know using it, and catching monsters with it on video isn't good enough).

I've used both the PE5 & PE8 on overseas trips (the PE5 more so) on multiple GT's in the 20-30kg range, landed a topwater 100lb+ yf tuna in 6-7 minutes on the PE5 as well as several others, dogtooth tuna etc etc as well as kings here in NZ and had zero bust offs due to line failure...Not bragging at all, just an example (waiting for the still not good enough evidence postsLOL).
Not taking a dig at you Rikki44852 - just thought i'd say that as i may come across as being a bit confrontational to some on here at times. But honestly intrigued as to some of these issues people have with various braids.
Page  12>