Turangi mid april

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonesybarra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turangi mid april
    Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 12:18pm
jonesybarra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Howdy all,it's been a while,6 years since my last trip over,time flies!

Dads having a 60th bash in Queenstown for a week, so will try and hire a car one day and fish the Mataura or something if I can escape the pub. 

The second week I am heading North to catch up with some friends,and will be in Turangi for 3-4 days. Was wondering what the stream mouths are like after dark then (april 9-12)? I enjoy that type of fishing. Also what other options I might have there next month? It's a fraction early for the spawn run yeah? 

Many thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 12:57pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stream mouths should be pretty good with fish gathering in the vicinity for spawning purposes or just feeding fish generally. Right now very good reports from stream mouths.
 Spawning runs vary alot depending on river, flow etc and generally speaking a little early for Tongariro but there is always fish there, TT  maybe but the smaller rivers  can start early. eg Hine.
If you are lucky and time it after a bit of a fresh will be a fewfresh fish in most rivers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 1:23pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big browns in the Tongariro... best time of the year for 'em!... Hmmmm browns....
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 4:52pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes but you are one of the few that can regularly catch themSmile
Tough to beat the last big one you caught there - was it last year?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonesybarra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 8:19pm
jonesybarra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks fella's, sounds promising. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 8:33pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

April 24 I think Russell, April has always been a great month for us on the browns, have caught some crackers over the years, but none as good as that one at just under 6kg for sure. 

I think a lot of people underestimate the sight fishing opportunities on the Tongariro, it has excellent spotting opportunities if you take the time to look and use lighter gear, water is very clear and those browns really stand out well, fresh Rainbows a bit harder to see of course.

Don't forget the TT either, fish run all year round these days, just not in the numbers you see in Aug/Sep/Nov and even Dec these days.

Redfinger is spot on though, time it after some rain, even mild rain when the water is a deep-greeny colour and it can be "game-on" any time of the year.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 1:34pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im also going be in Turangi mid April. Hoping to hook me one of those brown submarines. Going to do wet lining/spey casting mostly.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 7:22pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone had a crack lately , I will be going down for a few days next week. Will be based in Taupo , more than likely Hine and TT  , just can't get excited about waitahanui . Probably nymphing or is still feasible to have a go with dry maybe as an indicator with small nymph below?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 8:39pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if they dont get any rain and rivers remain low and clear, fishing the shallows with dry and dropper maybe a good option.
River mouths fishing well..... I havent been down for a while so hopefully someone else can help.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:45pm
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just got back. I didn't do too well on the Tongariro..and neither did anyone else by all accounts. I fished mainly the upper pools (red hut bridge upwards). Only had a few smallish rainbows.

had a great afternoon at lake O though. Just stripping lures in the outlet canal. plenty of rainbows averaging about 4-5lbs

Fished the Hine on Monday morning before heading home. The river was absolutely chock full of fish. I think the long weekend fishing pressure had taken it's toll though. The fish were very wary.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 1:28pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got back yesterday 
Had just over half a day on Tonga, fished similar area as Chad51 , did not see another angler so had it all to myself. Managed to wade across to access a likely spot to come across a pool that had about 30 big brown trout in it , up to 10lb being conservative. Threw everything at them but no cigar , must of been really dumb fishOuch Not the best photo taken on phone , but all the dark shapes are the aforementioned fish , I could see them clearly with naked eye. 
Next day had 3 or 4 hours at the Hinemaia , first time fishing above winter limit for me so good to learn this section of river , low water and educated spooky fish were a challenge but managed a couple nice fish and released couple of small fish. Highlight of trip for me managing to sight , cast and catch which makes a change , progress possiblyBig smile