Chatham Islands

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chatham Islands
    Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:37am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hope this is not considered to be scamming as has content copied from another post in the "painting by numbers" thread but saves having to type it out again.

I know quite a few forum members have been to the Chathams & it remains high on my bucket list so am trying hard to justify the expense involved therefore would like to hear from anyone that has been particularly if they found an affordable deal. Due to the cost I have not been able to interest anyone else to come along so that compounds the overall costs of things like vehicle hire without someone to share the cost with.

The cheapest deal I have found so far is backpackers accommodation but even that is $75 pp,  pn. however would be happy to make do with that if the overall package was affordable. It would seem that March / April would be out inasmuch as the crayfish season is closed for that period & had been looking forward to a meal or two of fresh crayfish. Not sure what the weather is likely to be from May onwards & that would need to be a consideration as from what I understand the weather there, can often be decidedly unfriendly for extended periods of time.

Below is the aforementioned copy of another post that illustrates the comparative cost of alterative destinations :-
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
It has been for some time a destination high on my bucket list, but each time I think seriously about going, end up going to alternative destinations such as Niue, Tonga, Raro, Norfolk, Fiji etc at under half the cost including a hire car.

EG In April are booked to go to China & the package includes :-
19 days & return flights from NZ
5 star hotel accommodation & 95% of meals
2  internal flights to major cities
All other transport such as linking coaches
A 4 day Yangste ( spelling ? ) river cruise
Not only the admission to major attractions such as Gt Wall, TC warriors, Panda zoo, Chinese opera ( might give that a miss ) & a Banquet but includes all the tips required or expected.
Vis required & travel insurance essential so will take both into account.

Compare this to the cost of visiting the Chathams including :-

One week in the Chathams with accommodation & return air fare.
Add on a couple of fishing trips.
Car hire as no transport available
Insurance essential due to high chance of weather delaying flights resulting in extra charges.
A day trip flying to Pitt Is

Now to compare the costs :- Would you believe to go to the Chathams for one week as described is 
2 1/2 to 3 times the cost of a 19 day trip to China as listed re the details above.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Asking the question of why the costs are so high the answer is invariably that almost everything needs to be shipped in. However so does it to many of the other Islands where the costs on consumer goods are only marginally more expensive & accommodation / meals / vehicle hire packages much more affordable. EG ever wondered why on the flight to Norfolk Is if the flight is not full, then most of the  passengers are seated towards the back & this is to help balance the weight of the milk in the forward hold, being brought in from NZ which probably is the same to the other islands as well.

Anyway would be grateful for any info, as am at the stage I will have to once & for all, decide to bite the bullet & go, or flag away the idea all together.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 3:30pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bazza, suggest you look at the number of folk that fly to China from NZ on one day probably exceeds the number of folk who visit the Chathams in one year.            Just think how many people visit the Panda Zoo yearly in China......
The costs will come down with an increased number of persons visiting the island. At the moment it is very few - Air Chathams schedule is very thin and they fly a small aircraft (50 seats) http://www.airchathams.co.nz/Airline-Info/flight-schedule/
Increase the demand for visiting the island, more accommodation, more flights daily and more fishing charters offered and more folks flying there, then costs will come down. It will then be like the Panda Zoo...
At the moment it is virgin territory, due to so few visitors......and as Bazza knows virgins can cost a lot!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 4:24pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Don18025 Don18025 wrote:

Bazza, suggest you look at the number of folk that fly to China from NZ on one day probably exceeds the number of folk who visit the Chathams in one year.            Just think how many people visit the Panda Zoo yearly in China......
The costs will come down with an increased number of persons visiting the island. At the moment it is very few - Air Chathams schedule is very thin and they fly a small aircraft (50 seats) http://www.airchathams.co.nz/Airline-Info/flight-schedule/
Increase the demand for visiting the island, more accommodation, more flights daily and more fishing charters offered and more folks flying there, then costs will come down. It will then be like the Panda Zoo...
At the moment it is virgin territory, due to so few visitors......and as Bazza knows virgins can cost a lot!

But are they guaranteed as part of the experience ?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 5:15pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So what is the overall about ball park price Bazza? 2 days fishing out of 7 sounds pitiful unless there is heaps of other activities for the fisher/hunter gatherer types.

How about Stewart Is... didn't Moggy organise a big trip there or was it Fiordland?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robbosaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 6:28pm
robbosaur View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

lol Bazza - you're buying into an absolutely unique experience.
Virgins - well I dunno if there's too many of them down there - but I stray ot, yet again.
The price is whatever it is.

Matey, about now is good for the Chats - about as good as it gets.
Anytime after Marchish and it's a lottery weather wise.
If you do get there make sure you get out to Pitt.