Buy more milk to help suffering NZ dairy farmers !

Page  <1234 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robbosaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 7:50pm
robbosaur View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You just answered you own question.

One or more of the Aus dairies must have a surplus of production which is offered out to buyers.
One of our two supermarkets has picked up some of the surplus and can sell it cheaper than local
shrug - you choose to save a bit or not
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 7:54pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Do fish drink milk or something?

The Captain Morgan Briny Bar 
The place for general chat on saltwater fishing! (incase you forgot)

So yeah i hear the marlin are in town? anyone wana chat about that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 8:38pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by hookerpuka hookerpuka wrote:

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

If the big sign and the steady stream of cars stopping in on there way home from work each night is anything to go by I would say it's completely legal and very popular.
Local cafes and restaurants are useing it too and from what I gather it could be the local hub for paddock to consumer products .
People really like knowing where there food comes from and that the animals are treated well etc
It's kinda like the old days really.

Yeah I get all that with the knowing thing, we grow our own veges have our own chickens for eggs etc... its a good thing for sure, I really did think you weren't legally supposed to by un processed milk for some reason... Not because of all the LBD **** but something to do with Bacteria, maybe just some BS hype I read somewhere... Must look into it locally... 

Oh back on topic... Yes Aussie milk in NZ super markets = Bad bad company :P 

There is some kind of loophole mate, you buy a share in a cow with a few other consumers, so you pay off the share in the cow weekly and you get your milk from YOUR cow delivered, so you aren't buying milk, you are HP'ing a jersey.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 9:11pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It is legal to sell a small amount of raw milk for human consumption, I have heard that people get around the limit by selling more as bathing milk or pet milk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Flakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 9:21pm
Fish Flakes View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm with laid backdood. I rearly drink milk or consume any dairy products. Dairy is unnecessarily added to so much packaged and processed food these days. How can cows milk, which is growth formula for a calf, be good for a human??? For example. New zealand has one of the highest (if not the highest) rates of osteoporosis in the world. This has been proven to be the direct result of high dairy intake and cost the country an estimated $1billion per year. There are many other side affects of high dairy consumption. If only more people were aware of what they were eating and the effects it has. I love dairy but don't need it in every meal, or every day , or even every week.

Back on topic though. Can't believe its more cost effective to import from a Australia. Have noticed a lot of imported produce at contdown.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 9:28pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The TPPA will sort all this out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, I know it is the milk powder suppliers that are the worst off but figured buying any form of milk product would go towards helping the overall situation.

Do a little digging... I think u will find that most of NZ milk supply is re constituted milk powder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:24am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From 1st March 2016 new regulations come into force regarding the sale of Raw Milk to the public, for more information follow this link http://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/industry/sectors/dairy/raw-milk/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:28am
Titanium
Titanium

Here is a list of current Raw Milk suppliers in NZ http://www.tuiheightshealth.co.nz/resource-centre/milk/raw-milk-suppliers/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:50am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

OK, I know it is the milk powder suppliers that are the worst off but figured buying any form of milk product would go towards helping the overall situation.

Do a little digging... I think u will find that most of NZ milk supply is re constituted milk powder.

Surely not ...... what would be the point in putting fresh milk through the rather expensive process of converting it to powder then reconstituting it back again to what it was originally ? Could understand it if powder is being converted back again to liquid in order to process food products such as ice cream etc. but surely not for domestic supply.

Altho guess nothing is impossible in this country.

Anyone here connected to the milk supply that can confirm or deny this is actually happening ?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 9:42am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well no, it isn't, but town milk supply farms are very limited in number, 99% of our milk is not sold as whole milk.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 9:48am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think Steps is confusing milk products exported with what is sold for domestic use.  Milk powder sold domestically is another issue but would not I think amount to anything like the number Steps has mentioned.  I could be wrong of course....
This article is interesting and sets out what is actually in our various types of domestic milk :
http://https://www.organicnz.org.nz/node/959

Edit:  There is nothing in this document to indicate town milk is reconstituted from powdered milk.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 11:00am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bazza you are more loyal than I .
When there's a drought or flood we help out our farming friends (corporate welfare) and when we complain about the price of milk they tell us it's a global market economy reflected in our prices.
When the price of milk product goes down (way down) milk prices remain high here?
They have and seem to support a co operative that actively sets up rival business to it's own farmers world wide and act surprised at oversupply.
They are (nz farmers) one of the big users of palm kernel which is a nasty nasty business.
I have reduced my milk intake by about 80% and would buy aussie milk in a second if it's cheaper and equal product....after all it's a global economy!

They can change my attitude with change of their own but I don't see that happening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 11:18am
Titanium
Titanium

Gary - the farmers themselves have absolutely no say in the price you pay for dairy products in the shops that is essentially set by the two supermarket chains and these barstools hide behind commercial sensitivity when questioned about their markup on any product Also because it is essentially a duopoly any supplier to them is scared to say anything because if they rock the boat too much they will lose supply contracts and will have nobody to supply their product to.

During the period of very high overseas milk prices a couple of years ago Fonterra kept domestic milk prices it charged to the domestic companies it supplied at much lower prices than comparable export prices so the NZ dairy farmer was subsidizing your consumption of dairy products, but you would never consider that as an issue.

Dairy Farmers and also virtually every other primary producer in NZ are Price Takers i.e. they have virtually no say in what they get paid for their products. 

With respect to Palm Kernel (PKE) it is a waste product from the oil extraction process, and as such NZ farmers using it has absolutely nothing to do with deforestation in Asia. There is so much PKE in Asia that it is actually used to fire thermal power stations.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 2:06pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes Marligator thanks for the re focus.
I am not averse to farmers and regret that I implied I am.
I do struggle with corporations and their elected govts .
Like the rest of us farmers have been seduced over time by larger interests.
I understand what you are saying and am aware it is largely correct.
I am annoyed by people bagging Americans as the cause of all evil when in fact they are largely powerless in terms of cause and effect.
In that vain I am guilty of the same thing with my previous post.
Frustrated some I guess.
As to PKE I don't know the ins and outs and feel somewhat better having read your post.
I do think though that the farm every blade of grass style I see now and burn tons of fuel to move more stock food than is naturally produced around the world is environmentally indefensible.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 2:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

Gary I understand your frustrations as they are very similar to mine.

With respect to the farm every blade of grass style you refer to this is a direct result of the fact that farming in NZ is becoming more and more difficult due to the ever increasing costs associated with producing anything with very little increase in product sales prices, so the only way to increase income is to produce more per unit area.

As you may have guessed I work in the agricultural sector and see all the good and bad side of this stuff. My main area of work is trying to minimize environmental impacts from farming plus provide independent science based fertilizer advice to farmers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 5:33pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think Steps is confusing milk products exported with what is sold for domestic use.

Surely not ...... what would be the point in putting fresh milk through the rather expensive process of converting it to powder then reconstituting it back again to what it was originally ?

Well no, it isn't, but town milk supply farms are very limited in number, 99% of our milk is not sold as whole milk.

And what is sold  (blue top) is of a consistent  LEGAL milk fat level .. which is generally at the old min summer level when the fat content ex gate is low back in the day.
And how do they get the fat down? evaporate.. how do they make power .. evaporate.. little over simplified....and the recovery of the excess fats for selling off else where is worth more than the extra handling cost of reconstituting.
This is NOT NEW.. it has been going on for at least 15 / 20 yrs now.

How do I know this stuff?... my wife used to attend manufactures factory tours/ marketing pitches of different companies As the Snr management deli/ chiller i manager/ purchasing in a major supermarket chain, and also worked for Fonteria for a while, as did my Brother.
 The brand that is not reconstituted is Farm something (there are a couple brands with "farm " in the name) and from memory a small company from down highway 2 or 27 somewhere....get a bottle of that and u will taste the difference straight way... will shake up the memory banks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 6:02pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

Bazza you are more loyal than I .
When there's a drought or flood we help out our farming friends (corporate welfare)

I wouldn't call be able to delay tax payments corporate welfare, they aren't let off paying.
They only farmers that get handouts are the ones who need help buying food etc for the family
And any NZer can apply for deferred tax payments and hardship grants, even non-dairy farmers like me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 6:22pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tonyg26 Tonyg26 wrote:

Do fish drink milk or something?

The Captain Morgan Briny Bar 
The place for general chat on saltwater fishing! (incase you forgot)

So yeah i hear the marlin are in town? anyone wana chat about that?

To be fair if you start talking about marlin in the briny bar it'll probably get moved to the work up forum any wayPinch
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote catch1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 7:43pm
catch1t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

milk is dearer than petrol in NZ..
Page  <1234 10>