Jigging Smelt Flies

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jigging Smelt Flies
    Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 9:38pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

One has to have a lot of confidence in a fly to tie 30+of Herb's Smelt.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 9:49pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice...for Taupo Herb?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 2:27pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Uncle   I had both knees replaced 6 month ago and still find it painful to bend my left knee beyond 90degrees, which makes it impossible to climb over even small boulders for river fishing.

We had a holiday at Kuratau in Jan and I tried jigging from the kayak for the first time.    Not my favourite way of catching trout but under the circumstance it is better than sitting at home.

I had read enough about the practice and once I tied on the above flies I caught fish wherever I tried, landing more than a hundred in less than 4 days .     However, only 1:15 would have been worth killing.   (Tied them on Black Magic D10 hooks but these may not be strong enough for bigger trout)   I still got the silicone smelt flies you sent me but keep them as samples of fly tying perfection rather than getting them munted by trout.      

The above flies did the job at Taupo and by all accounts catch fish at Rotoiti.    I gave a few to my neighbours who fished with them off Gisborne Point and caught most of their fish on those flies.

I also sent AP some to try out and am awaiting his report.      Currently I am nutted on Albacore from the kayak and trout fishing has taken a back seat.     Off to the Coro on Tuesday for 10 days of snapper bashing.     May have a go at Roto lakes later in the year.        If you like a sample of these flies I would like to return the favour.

Cheers

Herb

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 4:29pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 4:51pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice, those brown ones in top picture perfect two tone  match for colour of Rotiti smelt. Yet most of the ones ive been catching are on quite small grey ghost /jack spratt patterns.
Your flies certainly look the goods - where you planning on going?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:06pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

Ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Rainbow

I'm glad I'm not a troutBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 8:51pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

The two tone brown ones are bully imitations which I put on the bottom of the three fly rig.  They seem to get hit on the bottom or when the trout holding depth touches a drop-off.   On the other side of the box are smelt patterns, including grey ghost variants all tied on BM D10 hooks.    I now glue the wing down with UV activated Loon head cement instead of tying them down with tinsel.    For that I do not strip the underside of the feathers.    The extra fibres bed down nicely in the glue and hold the wing down quite securely.   The great thing about this method is that it is fast and the wing always sits dead straight.    We will see how this stands up to being mauled by trout.    However, when you are tying your own flies they don't have to last. Different story when you shelling out over $20 bucks for a set of three. 

I am testing the wing movement and shape in a large glass of water instead of just wetting it, which does not tell you what really happens under water.

Unfortunately I have to have more surgery on my left knee on the 26th of this month so hope to get in a Roto trip before then.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:06pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

One other thing I am testing at the moment and will follow up on the lake is whether or not a tiny loop knot is worth using opposite a closed one such as a clinch knot.   I find 8,10lbs Fluorocarbon tipper is quite stiff and does deaden fly movement.    A loop knot would certainly increase fly micro movement beyond the actual jigging action but could also lead to more tangles.   We shall see.  

Has anybody tried using a loop knot on a jigging set?

Rainbow  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 3:05pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes- jury still out as I still seemed to catch as many (or few!) on the fly next to it tied conventionally. You would think it was a no brainer really but not always the case.
Uncle must have tried it? Josh?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 3:16pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I tie mine on with a uni-knot & pinch it up between finger & thumb,
 leaving a minute loop that does two things.
1. allows movement
2. indicates what fly was hit in the event of a missed strike.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 3:27pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uncle - no busts offs with that knot? I like the theory - smart

rainbow - the way you have tied and glued the smelt flies - would that almost eliminate tail wrap?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 7:58pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I used to use the uni knot that way.  Need to pull it up quite tight with a toothpick to secure the loop.     As I said it is worth having an open mind.

I started gluing the tiny feather wings on my grey ghost variants because I had trouble securing the wing in the usual way on these tiny hooks.    With a pearl glass bead for a head there in not much shank left on these small hooks to tie the wing down with tinsel or even thin nylon.     After the double wing has been secured at the head I lay down a bed of glue along the top of the body and then pull/hold the wing in place while exposing it to the UV torch.    In 10 sec the glue sets and holds the embedded fibres from the underside of the wing while leaving the rest of the fibres free.     I have also done that with the SLF wings for a better profile in the water.     Booked accommodation for three days fishing starting on the 19th.     Will introduce my old tuna hunting mate to trout jigging.  

Rainbow   

Brent filmed these whales on one of our tuna trips out wide    Mine is kayak with the white sail      He will bring his Gopro and hopefully get some good footage of trout.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RIhUGkVRV0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 11:02pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Greetings Rainbow,

I enjoyed your article on your jigging experience in NZ Fishing News. I know from previous articles that you appreciate a bit of do-it-yourself approach, so you might be interested to know I had reasonable success jigging at Tarawera in a very low-tech way. 

I was rowing in an old tin dinghy borrowed from the bach i was staying at around New Year, with a light Ugly Stik snapper spin rod and a reel with mono (not braid, unfortunately) on it. I didn't have any kind of fish finder, as you can guess, and just made my way out to an area i'd been told was about 18-20m deep (just inside some yellow markers) and paddled gently into the wind to more or less stay in the one area. I had the rod resting across the stern, with my foot on it. The rig was two smelt flies on the fluoro trace and a 2oz sinker.

The bobbing chop was enough to give the flies some movement, and I just waited for the rod tip to buckle over before grabbing the rod. I got some nice fish - the best, about 6.5lb of chunky, hard fighting rainbow just on dusk.
I had good success on little Pat Swift epoxy Jack Sprats, though I'm told the Rotorua strain of smelt tends to be larger and darker than Taupo's. An olive Woolly Bugger also took fish.

I love the look of your Herb's Smelt with the chartreuse tint and wonder if you'd be willing to share the recipe for us home tiers? It looks like you use synthetic wing material in two different shades, but there are a few different ones and they have very different actions/stiffness. So it would be good to know what you use - given your dislike of needless spending, it might well be from an old fleece hat or something?? :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:39am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

6.5lb is a damn good fish for Tarawera  - well done.
Awesome work with that set up!

The Pat swift Jack Spratt is very consistent and worked for me today
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:08am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Redfinger. It pulled a lot of string, so I knew it was a good fish. I gather Tarawera is in a bit of a doldrums in terms of fish size, which is a shame given its history.

My heart was in my mouth when I made a couple of poor attempts at netting with the long trace and dropper causing a bit of grief.

The other fish were more in the 3lb range, but still good fun.

I worked out a way of rowing with little strokes to basically keep the mono vertical off the rod tip. The bottom about 200m off shore seemed to be dead level, so depth changes weren't a problem as long as I kept in the general area. I couldn't just drift as the wind was too strong without a drogue.

Though I've done a lot of fly fishing for trout in rivers and lake edges, I'd never jigged before - so I was surprised when the fish zoomed up to the surface after being hooked (like a kahawai), rather than fight down deep.

Your name is very familiar from the saltwater 'Out with the 12s' reports when I think you were based at Fish City on the shore. Have you moved south to trout territory?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:32am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No - still at Fish City Albany mate.
There is something about trout jigging that I really like - hunting and finding them on the sounder - having a sounder absolutely essential normally - unlike you!
then finding what fly to present, what technique works on the day etc. I like what you said about keeping overhead of the flies with little oar movements - something in that too.
Nice to get away from the big smoke for sure too.
When the lake closes will have a few trips to Turangi , use the boat for the Delta, and will be fishing the rivers too.

tarawera used to be the big fish lake years ago - they seem to be averaging about 3lb now but I have not fished it this season. 
Saying that Rotoiti yesterday all the fish were that size too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Aha, got it. That's a hell mission, good on you. At least you don't have to worry about cleaning up smelly bait or Gulp softbaits, and washing the boat and gear except maybe for aquatic weeds etc.

When I lived in Hamilton I used to drive to the Tongariro or Otamangakau for the day - 2 hours 15 exactly to Turangi, pre bypass. Well worth it, particularly in the shorter winter days. But folks in Australia and the US think nothing of driving 5 hours or more, we've got it lucky.

Have you had a crack at jigging Okataina? I love the look and feel of that lake. I have only had one great result there, though - fly fishing at night from the main beach in winter. I got smacked by a series of identical 7lbers while the rest of the picket fence were quiet. Funny how comments from other guys right down the beach carry across the water on a still night. "Geez, that xxxxx is on again!". 

I haven't jigged there, though. Graeme Sinclair on Gone Fishin' seems to do an annual episode on jigging at Okataina, sometimes with Pat Swift. They never seem to be on fire, but have nailed some quality fish on the episodes I've seen.

I would definitely have liked to have had a fish finder, but I wasn't totally fishing blind. I thought I'd read that the thermocline was about 20m at that time of year, and when a guy two baches down told me it was about that depth at the yellow buoy line I thought I'd give it a crack. Thankfully, 20m wasn't deep enough for the mono to be too much of a factor v braid. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:34pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Greetings to you too The Tamure Kid.     I used Synthetic Living Fiber Hanks, which I had to get from the US as no one in NZ stocks it anymore.     The company is FishUS.  http://www.fishusa.com/product/SLF-Hanks  

The thread is chartreuse globug yarn and the body is Mylar pearl.     On some I used a small glass bead as the head and painted the eyes on that    On others I covered the head with UV epoxy     All flies were tied on BM D10 hooks.     You could incorporate some flash strips along each side to imitate the sliver flank of the real mature smelt.   
Try out new combinations you never know when you hit on a winner.

Cheers

Rainbow 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 4:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, Rainbow (Herb).

That info will be a great help and I'll enjoy tying the Herb's Smelt. I'm pretty sure I have some SLF hanks in my stash of tying materials picked up over many years. And a variety of various different coloured threads etc. If not, I'll take a look at that link.

It's amazing how brands come and go - particularly synthetic dubbing and fibre. Such a huge market in the US and UK, and lots of competition, I guess. 

I panicked a few years ago when I found out the dubbing for a caddis I tie for the Tongariro had gone out of production (the Ernest Schwiebert signature series Scintilla dubbing). One colour of the range of about 80 shades was the perfect match (when wet) for the dominant free living caddis in that river (as described in John Parson's classic Flytiers Art). I once found dozens in the gut of a brownie which had taken my grub in the old Breakaway. So I trawled the internet and bought up any stock of that colour I could find, and now have a supply to last my lifetime!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 6:08pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Rainbow for the flies - i tried yesterday but most likely due to user error couldnt land a fish on one. Saying that any of the lumo flies that worked so well on  my last trip all drew a blank as well. I know your flies will work another day and really appreciate your samples.

yES Lake Okataina is on my list - should have tried there yesterday. Starting to think I have to have a Minkota as well to hold above the fish when breeze stuffs up the drift. 
Those special caddis flies sound good too - I fished the TT first time last year (up the river I mean). At  a flow rate up a bit at .5 we did ok in one pool in particular - every fish we  caught was fresh. I have heard it is very very hard when clear and low. Where are you based?
Page  12>