TRANSDUCER CABLE ROUTE

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRANSDUCER CABLE ROUTE
    Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 5:56am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so we are running the transducer cable and it says avoid engine and other cables , wtf ? The transducer ( thru hull ) can only go basically right beneath the engine ( diesel inboard ) and every possible route has cables of some kind , and where it comes up into the console has cables everywhere.
Are there certain types of cables that need to be avoided more than others? The Internet has conflicting info .....
Does anyone have experiance with this scenario ?.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do not run them next to electrical cables.. in particular engine management wires.. ie tach gauge, warning lights.....
Generally the transducer cable feeds thru the transom....hole just big enough to pass the cable end thru, then sealed up with good marine sealant.
This avoids hooking into the engine wiring ...
If possible run up the opposite side to the main cables... often the problem then is crossing back to the  skipper consol.
The engine main loom should be supported under the gunnels....if hang the transducer off  these cables, a few inches below  is enough to prevent interference. The area where all cables head up to the instrument panel is a little more difficult to separate... just dont have them laying next to each other.

I was thinking about running the transducer cable in a grounded sleeve.. like a Faraday cage...if separation of a couple inches and cross over behind the console was not enough, but was not needed. I think good transducer cables maybe already ground shielded in the cable and are these days quite tolerant....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:41am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive fitted a few, my boats had 5 new garmins in 3 years, always run tranny cable with all the other cables, no issues , airmar and Garmin trannys.
Even the excess cable gets cable tied to main loom
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:46am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best to route away from engine cables if possible - that way if you then have an issue don't have to dive in and reroute again - any excess cable should be looped and tied away from engine cables ie don't coil extra transducer cable behind instrument panel with all the other wiring, do it in an isolated area.  I have had issues on some boats some not, lot of variables just try to reduce as much as practical from install.
Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:46am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm the same as Wayne, have usually routed mine alongside with other cables and never had any interference what-so-ever in many installs across all major brands, actually cable-tied to them in most instances. Airmar are well shielded against interference.

Can't help but think it's a bit of a wives tale, bit like the you can't cut transducer cable myth. However, I would not be running alongside any really beefy cables carrying a decent wallop of current, but cables like nav lights, tacho feed, bilge pumps all fine with the installs I have done. But of course IF you can avoid... could not hurt to eliminate the risk.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 9:06am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Often you don't notice the fuzz a small power cable causes - but on a properly installed, ferrited and routed sounder setup the results speak for themsleves and it's generally not until you need to sound at depth (500-600m+) that the difference is lights on or fumbling in the dark.  Good setups should be crystal clear at virtually any speed.  Pays to do it right, as it's an utter pain deciding that you need more from the unit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 9:54am
Titanium
Titanium

Good oil there cheers , it's impossible not to come near any cables at some point my options are either by a whole lot of smaller cables - trim tabs , bilges etc or up thru the floor passing by battery's and main power board etc.
Either way I'm coming close at some stage not to mention the power feed to the unit is slap bang amongst spaghetti junction.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 2:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

It's a AIRMAR b150 , anyone useing one of these ? Mainly chase Marlin so didn't feel the need to spend mega bucks on something that pings a km deep.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:16pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

It's a AIRMAR b150 , anyone useing one of these ? Mainly chase Marlin so didn't feel the need to spend mega bucks on something that pings a km deep.

From memory it's the same as a tm150m, if so there pretty good, can take a wee big of fine tuning using the wedges provided to get a clear picture at speed and rest.
I found 5 mm under hull and a tilt down 5 mm worked best on my Frewza , kicked up a bit of spray bug that's no drama.
Good readings of terakihi in 220 mtrs deep at 6.5 knots trolling, awesome shallow water tranny, hard to beat
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

It's thru hull and mounted almost at the bottom of vee about 400mm up from transom clear of any planeing strakes or anything that could produce bubbles , all our west coast bottom fishing is in less than 100 m .
Hoping it will allow me to see mr STICKFACE hanging off the side of baitfish .
Find out on Friday hopefully .
Weather looks like it's goin to pack out early next week , hopefully it clears for the Nats cos we've got a date with Julie planned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:46pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bottom line and think this is the general opinion of those above
1/ there maybe a possibility . left over from old technology days  where internal cable shielding , pre higher current non led lights of this hanging on in there where often it should not be
2/ Still avoid.. as per manufactures instruction as much routing in vacinity of other cables...cross overs are very hard to avoid...keep to th min.
3/ because of modern shielding / technology it maybe following other cable makes nil difference.. but then is there a comparison of alternate routing in the same boat
4/ Separating and knowing they are separated as far as possible eliminates if issues like at speed, depth are happening.

Another thought, wonder if an ally or glass type makes a difference because if the ally is grounded its going to make a huge difference to any electromagnetic field around a wire that is carrying current....espec if it is a feild that is changing pulsing like a tach or engine management type circuit.

As mentioned in a post above.. its easier to separate as best as can in 1st install rather than have to do it later

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 4:19pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's thru hull and mounted almost at the bottom of vee about 400mm up from transom clear of any planeing strakes or anything that could produce bubbles , all our west coast bottom fishing is in less than 100 m .
Weather looks like it's goin to pack out early next week , hopefully it clears for the Nats cos we've got a date with Julie planned.

Start on med auto gain, I run split screen for game fishing with the top 50 mtrs on one side and full screen on the other, shows bait fish schools real good.
Haven't run over a Marlin yet but it shows kingies around bait schools really well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 4:23pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hope I'm not being capt obvious here but did you get the right degree try hull ?
Fixed one for a guy who was getting all sorts of stupid depths/ readings and he had a 1 kW 20 degree when he needed a 5 degree
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 5:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hehe yep I did the 2nd time , dead rise is 21deg at transom where I installed it and angle of tranny is 20 so shouldn't be far off.
Was going to put in live bait pod but decided against as it would be in line with prop wash.
Hence me wanting to swap or sell a 12deg b150 in the buy/sell section.

Just went and ran cable up beside the underfloor tanks and it crosses a couple of cables until it gets to helm wher it can't really help but be near others , easily moved if needed as whole floor lifts up to access battery's and 300 litre tank that runs centrally up to almost the bow.

Attaching it to a simrad evo 2 which I'm loving for its intuitive easy to use g.p.s so far .
Jesus had to carry around a manual the size of the bible just to do simple tasks on the old fuuruno .

Now all I need is someone that wants a free t m 258 that has been fibreglassed in to the pod that can glass the hole over , he'll I'd prob throw in the furuno as well as I'm sure it upsets my balance when we are whizzing along at 32knots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billwiessing@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 11:53am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

what ever the glassing costs you should be able to recover selling the furuno and tm258

make sure no power is going to the old tranny as it can mess things up if both are running at the same time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Well it all seems fine , reading the bottom and marking fish at 20knts .
lots to learn yet I'm sure but running range and gain on auto worked ok.
The original sounder in boat was installed in pod basically inline with props and lost picture at speed.