N.Z fishing catch significantly underestimated

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N.Z fishing catch significantly underestimated
    Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 10:04pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This according to TV1 news 9.2.2016.  Interesting and what many have been saying for a while.
Even had the minister saying something about keeping an eye on  all vessels while at sea. Hasent happened though,and the seafood industry making light of the findings by making some flippant statement about millions of dead fish floating around if it was true. But research says catch may be up to double of what is reported.
Here is what they do in the E U. They have seen fishery collapse and clearly appreciate what they have lost far more than we do ,down in the free and easy south pacific. Quote--
" Discarding is the practice of returning unwanted catches to the sea ,either dead or alive, because they are too small,the fisherman has no quota or because of catch composition rules. The C & P does away with the wasteful practice of discarding through the introduction of a landing obligation"

Out here in N.Z this policy is not even  on the radar. What does that say.? When they decided SN 1 was not in good shape they just transferred part of recreational catch to commercial- problem solved --kicking the can down the road for a couple more years. Cant keep doing that.
If we really want to manage our fishery we need Land all catch here. Apart from curbing waste it is the only possible way of knowing exactly what true catch is, and from knowing that we can then begin to manage our fishery properly. Putting the burden on recreational is not on.
EU policy shows they value the small fish -the future of the fishery. In N.Z lack of policy shows we dont value our small fish nor the future fishery
What do you tell your grand kids when the ask why they cant they catch fish like we did.
No excuse as this is happening on our watch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:25pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup, I'd agree with that.

Ah. Edit.
Now I agree with the landing off all fish being mandatory.
On reflection, I am just wondering, do we do this here already? If a gurnard trawler fills his bets on snapper, fish they have no quota for, they still bring them in.
Before we fly off the handle, do we not do this on NZ boats already?
I do not know, but I think it is important that we do know before we get too worked up about this.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:44am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Tagit address this once before, and said there are no figures out there, which will tell you what we want to know, how much discarded fish "that's all fish" from inshore.

the figures you can find are so contradictory you can only guess which one is right,
and for that fact never pin them down to a figure that shows the true figure, because they know the pin would be pulled on the inshore fishery just like that,
so no one is going to tell anyone what those figures are.
and yes the the new net is never going to be used because it will cost too much in lost revenue just like putting square mash in the tops of the nets which catch at least another half of the Tonnage they are aloud.

Most ex commercial fishermen that have retired are scared to open their mouths due to death threats,
one i new was going to spill it ended up being frightened off in fear for his family and his own life,
you can't compete against this crap, they are as bad as the Mafia.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 2:13pm
bigears View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Interesting Stuff where to from here? ..............  Confused