Newbie advice regarding sounder

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie advice regarding sounder
    Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 2:43pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Was hoping somebody can shed some light on what exactly were looking at here on the sounder while trolling (7kts) and what you would do based on what the sounder is showing.

This is from tutukaka on saturday, we hooked onto what we believe to be a stripey, for the hook to break clean after 2 minutes at 4kg Ermm no sign on the sounder. We worked this area for a couple of hours more and saw nothing else.

After moving on I found a couple of good patches showing great bait which i proceeded to work for another couple of hours, but a bit deep, what are we looking at here and is it worth hanging around?

Not as solid but interesting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 2:59pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No expert but im guessing that's a thermocline.

That second pic with the blob under the temp reading would get me barred up WinkLOL!!! Possibly a fish at 70m???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:04pm
Gold
Gold

Me either haha, had a suspicion of a thermocline but hadnt seen it before on the sounder, was a pretty consistent line around the same depth, only happened in one or two places though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

If you had too much gain it could possibly be an echo.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:40pm
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Maybe but would you get an echo in 190m on 200 hz ??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:47pm
Gold
Gold

Its an HDS10, set to auto gain, adjusted to -6% to clean it up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:49pm
Gold
Gold

While were at it, what am I looking at here.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Dave0308 Dave0308 wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Maybe but would you get an echo in 190m on 200 hz ??

Pretty unlikely at that depth, but it may be possible
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:56pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bugga about the broken hook, What part broke?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 4:08pm
Gold
Gold

Clean through where the barb is formed, frustrating to say the least, first shot at a stripey this season.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmm... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 5:46pm
mmmm... View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bonze light gauge by the look of that hook.
buying usless exspensive fishing gear is my second favourite hobby.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:11pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I find on mine it's a hiccup, wanting to be at 50 Hz it's a bit of a pain. I stop turn off sometimes it clears.
An echo just a hiccup in operating. I run a 1 kW tranny.
I think it's a limited quality component, the sounder that is.

The hooks, they detoririate at quite a rate.
With such a fine gauge, the smallest amount of pitting shows an overall failure about to happen.
Don't get me wrong I love these hooks, but realistically I need to check them every run and replace frequently.
And to be sure, don't fool yourselves, they are a thin gauge of hook and at certain angles, even when new will be prone to breaking, that's just common sense or basic maths.
Irrespective of the meritorious catches some have made.
Bigger hooks break. Crap hooks bend.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:00pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I get this sometimeson my lowrance in rougher conditions running a certain way into the sea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:37pm
Gold
Gold

What sort of sign are we looking for on the sounder when trolling?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:25pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That is bait sign.. Second pic showing two layers. First pic is deep bait. Ideally we are looking fora big red or yellow blob with big Archs hounding it.
I had the smaller LMS lowrance unit before upgrading to simrad. I would loose bottom at 280m inn good conditions trolling.. Switch to 50 kHz and would go to around 400. That was with the basic lowrance transducer? I never saw. Anything like thermoclines withtheLMS but the simrad pics them out sometimes. Unusual to have double line for a thermocline.
have a fiddle with your gain setting. Bring it up till it Max's out then back it off to leave a reasonably clear screen.
What transducer are you running

"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 10:02pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We dont get it with that density out there. Usually a blue layer in the 80m zone and sometimes it condenses to red and has blue splodges separating from it (like your second photo). Our best guess is a layer of squid and sometimes 2 layers. It is not everywhere and when we see 2 layers and/or red (like in your 3rd photo), we thinks its under pressure from predators and we work it. Perhaps the first photo is it starting to come under pressure or you have tried to clean it up too much? What do you ahve surface clarity and noise rejection set on?
Usually get skippies around it on the bungy. Have picked up a yellow fin and a stripie from sign like 3rd photo... Yes, it did have the odd red blob around it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:45am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard to pass comment about what your seeing here, not really a fan of Lowrances graphics compared to other brands and their graphics.

Suggested tip (well works for me) is either split screen your sounder so you look at the bottom on 50khz & the top 50m on 200khz. Or forget about what the bottom is and just concentrate on say the top 50m @ 200khz, this way your looking for bait and possible marks of bigger fish.
I feel with the settings you have in your picture that any bait & large fish sign is being lost with your sounder trying to read too much rather than what you really need to see.
I hope this makes sense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 5:48am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would be more worried about my hooks .......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:19am
Gold
Gold

This is a mates boat, but im pretty familiar with it, Transducer is Airmar TM260, surface clarity and noise rejection is set to low. Maybe we should try running more gain to make it a bit messier and get a better idea of whats going on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chewbucca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 10:41am
Chewbucca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Me too! I had one of those hooks snap on 4kg drag with only a 100m of line out .
Page  12>