Ruined Fishing Spot.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruined Fishing Spot.
    Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 6:51pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have loose lips ruined a fishing spot of yours?just I saw a local share his spot and it is a great spot but its getting like the battle of Trafalgar out there now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:40pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

people with little knowledge and no how but have a GPS drive around pinging anyone they see catching fish,
its natural and its not illegal either, yes i agree, bloody pain in the butt.

but that is how it is and will be for along time to come,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:56pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The behaviour of some at Rotorua stream mouths leaves a lot to be desired, walking into water in front of other anglers , while on the beach long liners setting up next too swimmers and other beach anglers. One of the best bites I ever had was when one of those things was pulled back through where I had cast, I was there first incidentally no apology so I responded with my Ross pliers will cut 300 pound line! Angry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 9:28pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hence the reason I fish where I do,might not get big fish or numbers but can guanretee I am alone with no clowns annoying me. Anniversary weekend up at Mahurangi sat anchored by ourselves and the stream of traffic nosed around was enough to say forget fishing lets get the beers out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 10:01am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the exact reason why I dont post  catch reports anymore.....
As for longlining...ive had my gear out and swimmers turn up and swim right where I am,with 3-400 mtrs of empty beach....then get snarky when I let them know Im pulling my gear in.Now I dont bother letting them know,If I hook one,so be it..its a cheap and long lasting lesson for them....and affirms for me that some people always need to dose up on dumb more than others. Some of the stories I could share would make you laugh,seriously.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 10:52am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

As for longlining...ive had my gear out and swimmers turn up and swim right where I am,with 3-400 mtrs of empty beach....then get snarky when I let them know Im pulling my gear in.Now I dont bother letting them know,If I hook one,so be it..its a cheap and long lasting lesson for them....and affirms for me that some people always need to dose up on dumb more than others. Some of the stories I could share would make you laugh,seriously.

Hmnn ..... 3 to 400 mtrs of beach available to swimmers presumably a dozen or more of them & you are expecting to have the sole rights to say 100 mtrs ...... rather disproportionate imo.

I reckon you would be VERY foolish indeed to risk hooking a swimmer & if you did could very well end up being the person that gets a cheap lesson !
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 11:19am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm quite happy to share my fishing spots, I never had a problem by doing so.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 11:37am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

An interesting attitude Jason..
Presumably you are on here to learn, to know what's going on & where, yet you aren't prepared to share.
Not that you're the only one but it is disappointing.....
As for not letting swimmers know that there are 25 hooks on the way in, well that's just plain bloody stupid.
I know I for one wouldn't like it on my conscience that I'd hooked a youngster just to prove a point.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 11:55am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always happy to share info on my spots, never too specific but enough to point others in the right direction. I believe there is a lot more to fishing than a specific spot or GPS co ordinates, much of this can only be gained by time on the water perfecting technique. In saying that we always have a few fav's that we keep with the crew for those rainy days! Wink
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:28pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FlawOne FlawOne wrote:

Always happy to share info on my spots, never too specific but enough to point others in the right direction. I believe there is a lot more to fishing than a specific spot or GPS co ordinates, much of this can only be gained by time on the water perfecting technique. 
I am with flaw one on this - and whether you share your spots online or not others can see your boat on the water.

Have u like me gone back to a spot that produced well another day only to get nothing?  There are lots of variables including weather, tide, time of day, water temp, season and so on. 
But I really appreciate getting a general idea how others are going, for instance is useful to know when red weed is around in quantity, I appreciate trip reports good and bad and a few general pointers too.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:45pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's exactly right MacSkipper, it's a combination of things not just the location.  And often spots move around year to year.  I'm sure we all like to think we have a couple of "secret spots" that will deliver the goods for us, but in reality they are probably no better than many other spots -just seem good because we fish them more.  I've definitely had amazing fishing in a spot and gone back another time and not even got a nibble.  But isn't that part of the fun of what we do, if you could just head out to a certain spot and guarantee a catch it would be pretty boring.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:48pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep well put FOne.
A while back there was a angry fish program hooking kings off a spot we sorted.Covered in an old post few yrs back
With a little freeze frame on the recorded program it was not hard to get the spot down to about 10ms.So here I was thinking this place is going to be hammered over the next few weeks.
Well surprise surprise,  yes the general area is popular, but as some of us know 30 or even 2 meters off espec over foul can made the difference between a bin and a couple pannies at most.
Well for the next few weeks nothing had changed, possibly a few more  cruise thru with sounders....but know one actually hit the spot(s)

So is it just a very small handful of rec fisheres still know how to take a bearing, or are familiar enough with areas or take the time to enjoy the landscapes, be familiar with them????

But yes Im protective of a handful of spots, and spots others I share with and they back...and who share with if have a boat and fish the area regular.. if not on the 'list'
 And when do, its more like how Smudge does...sort of  "between x island and x point" type of thing... left side of a channel...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 1:49pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all loose lips! mine are probably up with the worst of us sharing your best spot secrets. But i enjoy giving others a chance to catch maybe there first 20 lb snap or a PB. Last weekend prime example, had two Auckland mates here with there boat, three other mates from Hamilton on theres, and my brother and i in the Mac. Seven anglers $20 each in jar. heaviest Snap for the day takes it. They all went were i did anchored up close to us and proceeded to kick my butt!!Boys from ham had a fisherman catch his first big snaps a 6 and 7.7 kg snap.Happiest iv'e seen a fisho in a long while! In the end my brother Mick just pipped him with a 7.8 kg. On the longlining front if the kontiki setter has made the effort to fish a long way from a swimming area like fish feeder has, its good to mark the area on beach with a couple of big old road cones, so people are aware something is happening and will ask questions. They would have to be real stupid to swim there knowing hooks are in the area if told. communication is all thats needed. Cheers  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:48pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sometimes knowing where to fish is not enough.
We have fished some landbased spots that require specific rigs if you want to successfully catch fish. We have been to one of these types of spots with around 20 -30 people on either side of us and we pulled in fish after fish for an hour. Got our limit and left, i think i only saw 5 other fish caught. They quickly moved into our spot which was only 3meters difference and they still caught nothing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 4:10pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 4:18pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hehehe....bit dark there lethal, lol.
I recently sold my boat, along with the flash harry new electronics with all my marks left on the GPS. The guy was stoked, and good luck to him, yet he doesn't know which marks I regularly use, which were one- off marks on the sounder or something, where I go at half tides, high tides etc. So, he knows my marks, yes, but not half the knowledge that is tied up in those marks.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 5:56pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

yes i ve never really cared infact i sold a couple of thousand CDs regarding my old HG fishing spots,

if you ever put as much time effort as i did into finding why some areas produced fish then u would expect a result.

once the 3D maps "NZ Navy" are integrated into your GPS unit there will be no spot that will be safe if people learn the basic's of when/why/were then the best of the spots will be useless,
just a matter of time.

i did as best i could to make my maps feel 3D by spending 100s of hours colouring them in meter by meter...

hello the gulf is not flat, yet when you drive over it you never see the whole picture,
return reviews i have been very happy even with Tarakihi,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 6:03pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 6:31pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I remember the ex girl friend who sold all the GPS locations for her ex boy friend's boat on TM she got a few hundred for the info! The ultimate pay back!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:06am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i remember that o Neill,
REIVER everyone tells just one sole and they tell another,
within 26 times = one million people know about your spot,
same as the pyramid scheme.

your spot
double each line to you have 26lines and you should be close to 1,000,000,00
Page  12>