Fly tying gear.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly tying gear.....
    Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 2:45pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all....where can you pick up sw fly tying stuff these days....anyone on line? I need some sw hooks and Dumbbells to tie up some clouser type flies to use in the islands soon, and no shops seem to have anything.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roscoes2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:11pm
roscoes2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi

Iv'e dealt with Steve for years......top service and top bloke!....http://www.flyshop.co.nz/

regards
Ross
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:12pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Theres rod and reel in new market that has a lot of tying gear....total fly down west haven has tying gear aswell in auckland....then online you get shops in taupo,welli and others that are good online for sales....cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:21pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rod and Reel have a good selection, but a lot of it isn't on the web site.  I've used flyshop.cp.nz and also these guys https://www.tauporodandtackle.co.nz/178-saltwater-fly-tying-materials  Sometimes there is stuff listed on trademe as well, under fly tying supplies in the freshwater fishing section.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roscoes2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:46pm
roscoes2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi Capt.

I have already endorsed Steve of Steve"s Flyshop in an above post but I will include Rod&Reel as well. Like a lot of people I have spent freckin thousands on fishing year (mere hundreds if I'm telling the wife) and increasingly I will only deal with a couple of shops.
Steve's and Rod&Reel will courier your supplies so you receive them the next day or at the latest two days out. I live rural in Marlborough so that's no mean feat.
Some of the other shops are hopeless.....a week later they have to be reminded that you have actually placed an order on their system. 

Ross 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:55pm
Titanium
Titanium

Sweet, thanks for that guys.
I know well what you mean about the hundreds hiding the thousands. I have occasionally been accused of spending a little too much on fishing gear too, though personally I deny this.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

Cool, got what I was after, no sweat. That flyshop site seems to be one of the easier sites to order off, very good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:24pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where ya off to anyways CA?
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

Ten days, off to Norfolk Island, then in April doing twelve days in Shark Bay, W.A., then in mid May off back to the solomons for three and a bit weeks.
In between wouldn't mind having a crack up at paerengarenga too perhaps.....😊

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 8:59am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Capt A, that new NZ boat of yours is well set up for SWF.
Needs some of the paint on the windward side to be chipped by a few tungsten beads.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 10:06am
Titanium
Titanium

Lol, well, it is a thought. Let's see how I get on up in Norfolk, if I rediscover my passion for the long wand then I very well may just start doing that! 🙂

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 6:35pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fished on Norfolk every day for 2 years straight, not sure how you will go on the fly up there but some monster kingies down by headstone tip if you got the timing right otherwise all deep sea stuff. Some massive trevs down there too and if want to bring them up throw in a couple of bread rolls and watch the action, got to be quick though as they will go for the bottom and that place full of wrecked/dumped cars.
Plenty of white pointers and bronzies too if want to go for something extra large.
From memory wednesdays and saturdays they throw cow carcases of the cliff from the butchery so plenty of burly around.
Good luck out there.