Medium Pakula Sprocket

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YadamSkippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medium Pakula Sprocket
    Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 10:04pm
YadamSkippy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I recently got over a medium illusion sprocket as a backup to one I have had for a few years.

I can't pick a difference in the head dimensions or inserts at all but the skirts on the new one is longer and don't seem like the typical Pakula type. Oldie is 250mm and the newie is 300mm total length.

Both ex. AU stocks so I'm picking they have success with both versions over there but just interested in the background from someone that knows or pro's and cons of each.

Hopefully, I won't need to commission the backup for a while since my oldie catches fish and had plenty of bites but it is comfort to know it will perform the same if I do.
Appreciate info on total skirted length of those being run and what may be up with the range of skirts   
G
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 10:14pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whip 50mm of with a pair of scissors and they will be identical .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 11:31pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just a thought. Maybe get a new set of skirts for the old one.

Results of the new skirt length

"Hi Peter,...
I hate to ask, but am slowly assembling a collection of what really works, and it does change all the time but that medium Sprocket WITH JETS is red hot at times. it beats the older version without jets I bought from you a while back hands down! i only got one from you recently that Fallen Angel, my fault for only asking for the mouses, and very thankful u included it!

Is there any chance I could get another Medium Sprocket (WITH JETS) in Fallen Angel, Screamer, Illusion and a Dark Angel Lumo (the last two i am sure will be hot in Cape Verde as well, on the long or shotgun when the blues are feeding on smaller baits), it’ll be good in Guatemala also, as will most of the angles I would think.

I’ll send u a photo tomorrow of how chewed up that fallen angel has gotten in the past month, it’s been working hard, the super glue is just holding the skirts together, and almost cut off a few times as I often fish it long where the drop backs or hook-ups get wrapped up or cut it off. it does not feel good to know I don’t have replacement ready to go should it ‘fall' forever!

Pete, here's the photo as promised of the sprocket 'fallen angel'. We have released over 1000 billfish since the start of the year and this is the poor angel that's seen the majority of them! It's one outstanding lure and the jets and those new skirt color additives definitely make a difference, the photos and numbers tell the story for them self!
Capt. Brad Philipps Guatemalan Billfishing Adventures www.guatbilladv.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YadamSkippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 7:36am
YadamSkippy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good intel there Pete. Cheers
That's a fair few fish on a single lure! might have to take a look at those paua jets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 7:43am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

must be something in the skirt length.

Funny I had just mentioned that about another brand of lure, and skirt length.

nice one Peter
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:37am
Platinum
Platinum

The skirt length thing is just another of the many perpetuated myths that we all just assume is right.
It's not

Here are two identical phantom heads with the same 9" skirts one of which is cut down to 6"

The length of a skirt doesn't to any noticeable affect the action of the lure as there really isn't any more or less drag on the lure. (tested with scales),

However the drag of the skirts re the lure spinning, ie the drag on the skirts perpendicular to the direction of the lure is in creased on longer skirts resulting in the lure being less likely to spin and the benefit of that is the rig is more stable helping increase the hook-up rate. 

There really is a pretty good argument to start a myth busting thread :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 12:00pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So ur essentially saying running longer skirts should increase hook up rates so we shouldn't trim skirts but instead leave everything be.... from memory it was popular with even a thread here on fishing.net.nz with roddy hayes etc about trimming skirts to help action
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 12:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

You can see for yourself in the vid shortening skirts doesn't do anything much if anything regarding action. It may with some of the textured skirts, but not with the most common octopus skirts used on most lures.
Pre 1997 when I started the Polyurethane system there was no such thing as identical lures because of the production process so the observations made were not reliable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmm... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 7:55pm
mmmm... View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I ran that exact same lure on Saturday. It was dead flat so the angled lures were popping bigger with more spray. It still ran ok. With such calm conditions last couple of weeks I needed to do 8 to 9 knots to get the lures working agressively while at the same time not breaking lose.
buying usless exspensive fishing gear is my second favourite hobby.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 12:20am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

try lifting them higher or bring them in closer mmmm.
marlin in close normally bite more readerly.
action should improve with out the extra speed
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 9:06am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lethal my thoughts exactly, mmmmm.... you shouldn't have to speed up in calmer conditions, just as Lethal said change towing angles by either lifting them higher or bring them in closer. Or alternatively change to more aggressive actioned lures in calmer conditions. Some lures work better in the calm and others in the rough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 9:16am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok good learning here... I have a Senator 520 no out riggers so run my lures from the rod tip or pin them lower down. I mostly go out on calm days because of the size of the boat... What heads should I be running? I normally run a cup face in close and a sprocket or zuker 5.5 or flat face on the 3rd wave. Am looking at running a teaser and possibly a dredge this season (haven't been out yet) as I'm not having much luck. Want to make sure Im running the right kind of lure heads...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 1:28pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Zuker 5.5 black and purple is what we run on our long corner so not too far back.Accounts for good share our fish there such that for several seasons havent changed it. Is easy to adjust there to get right action by letting out or bringing in closer, as lure is being run straight off rod tip.
With sprockets and like headed lures which are generally medium small pushers often lumo or pinks that we like to run further back ... I have had more success from elevated position. Have been fishing out of same 16 foot stabi last 14 yrs. First few seasons ran sprockets etc from rod tips with no success before buying some outriggers and getting instant success with them. I think the elevation of running off the riggers changed the way they ran. Was fishing same place where there were fish always present both before and after i started using out riggers.
Other than investing in riggers try running the lures you have further back from a longer rod or get it as high as possible by running rod off rocket launcher or bait-board rod holder set a bit higher. You may not need that much more elevation to see results depending on how far back you need to run them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmm... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 2:16pm
mmmm... View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have 12ft kilwell riggers which are angled very high rather than wide. previous calm weekend we ran lumo sprocket, green zuker, back purple angled face lure, kawai colour angled face, back magic & williamson small angled face.  they all ran awesome. heaps of action, big spray and didn't blow out. did 7 - 9 knots also.

Next weekend we ran mostly bonze lures.  fallen angel long angled face in blue black went great. agronaught in kawai  short corner angled face went great,
D shackel green small cup face in long and short rigger had no action at all hardly ever broke surface unless we surfed down a wave, tried different spot still no good. pulled in and put a pink white  medium angled face ran heaps better.
ran that jet sprocket also went ok.  long corner ran bonze hercules in green went great.   most lure went ok except the d shackel

The previous weekend all the lures worked heaps better with a nice even rhythm popping and swimming with great smoke trail at 7 - 9 knots. we even looked back at them after half the day saying "**** those lures are going good"  "why haven't we hooked a fish" haha!

17ft stabi with new honda. more weight in the rear and trimming the nose up gives me a bigger pressure wave.
buying usless exspensive fishing gear is my second favourite hobby.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 6:27pm
Billy! View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

would love to buy some of those sweet medium sprockets... oh wait.. CD is out of stock again...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 7:05pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I just realised I hijacked this discussion sorry Yadam.
Cheers shane and mmmm Good advice I might ask the question on a new thread / topic 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 9:33pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Billy! Billy! wrote:

would love to buy some of those sweet medium sprockets... oh wait.. CD is out of stock again...

good tackle stores will have stock. ClapLOLLOL
I'll act my age when im 69