Tagging debate

Page  123 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tagging debate
    Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 11:28am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I think that you will see a turn around, as the season wears on.
And some significant tag reports.

Its still early.

Numbers seem to be better than other seasons, so the tag rate should increase.

Just my thoughts
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 11:34am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Fished the Ladies comp out of Whiti on Saturday. There was around a dozen tagged and 3-4 weighed I think. Numbers might be a bit off but not far. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 11:35am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yup agreed. The whole keeping the first fish thing...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 1:19pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep comes up every year. Always tends to balance out toward the end of the season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rockstar from Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 1:30pm
Rockstar from Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tag rate will go through the roof the more these light gauge hooks are used. Using them not only massively increases your successful bite to hook up ratio but with proper boat handling techniques also shortens the fight time considerably allowing more healthy releases. My mate is 8-7-7 this year and all have been tagged....
Winning.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 7:25pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Really ? the tag rate will go through the roof because useing light gauge hooks shortens the fight time .
God anyone would think the wheel had been re- invented.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toe Knee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 9:24pm
Toe Knee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Really ? the tag rate will go through the roof because useing light gauge hooks shortens the fight time .
it shortens the fight time when they snapLOLWinkLOL...are you saying therefor, that using traditional heavy gauge hooks lengthens fight time and so anglers that use these hooks will kill more fish rather than tag them...that's a long bow ya got thar bruvva
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 9:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anglers choice always but did notice in last week aussies tag most of their marlin across the ditch. Discussed reason with an Aussie who lives here today and was preturbed by how many fish we take... Sheer coincidence. I said maybe because most of our weigh stations have resident smoker and maybe kiwis have more of taste for smoked fish. Having said that a marlin is a lot of smoked fish and a good kingi is more manageable in your average domestic smoker. Last year at tuts Small boats contest I recall of about 15 fish caught all but 3 were tagged and Pete Saul congratulated us at prize giving on tag ratio for contest. felt good to have tagged one of those.Funny what you remember. Same season we weighed a 67 kg fish for my step daughter because she wanted to keep her first and weigh it with a photo and get smoked fish for her friends from marlin she caught. Was definite highlight for her weighing one and highlight for me tagging one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 10:00pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

wait till all the charter boats return from the 3kings over the next month,
this is were the biggest jump normally comes from.
there are every year now new guys attempting game fishing and this year is no exception with the amount of smaller fish around making it easy for them to catch one.. 

just let it ride the same discussion pops its head up every year and always the tagged amount is either over or very close to target.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 10:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

The contest setup for the Nats is good I think,
Way more points tagging a small or average fish than weighing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 9:42am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As the numbers of traditional charter boats, with high tagging rates, diminishes and more smaller boats are game fishing, it's almost certain that the tagging rates will go down
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 10:01am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The contest setup for the Nats is good I think,
Way more points tagging a small or average fish than weighing it.
Yep, 268 marlin were tagged during the Nationals last year.
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockstar from Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 1:43pm
Rockstar from Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My point which was probably not explained enough for the really simple ones is that using the light gauge hooks your strike rate is going to go thru the roof, And with lighter drags used the fish is healthier so more likely to swim away nicely. And if you get almost every fish you hook next to the boat you are more likely to tag because its not the only fish your going to see this season. But you stick to your 12/0 and your narrow minded views mate.
Winning.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 2:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

LOLNow u are claiming to know wot tackle I use .
utter dribble.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 2:46pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Rockstar from Mars Rockstar from Mars wrote:

My point which was probably not explained enough for the really simple ones is that using the light gauge hooks your strike rate is going to go thru the roof, And with lighter drags used the fish is healthier so more likely to swim away nicely. And if you get almost every fish you hook next to the boat you are more likely to tag because its not the only fish your going to see this season. But you stick to your 12/0 and your narrow minded views mate.

Agree with rockstar but I think he means more hook ups rather than strikes??
We caught Stripey Pinfish for BOI on the 27th Dec. had the wife and son on board. Went 105kg first for us this season.. We're we gonna hang it up.. He'll yeah huge deal for the boy to finally see one on the wharf with his name on the skipper board...he has been battling seasickness and boredom for the last 3 years waiting for that day. Will we kill another one this year. Not intentionally. next time he will get to smack a tag in one I hope.
How many people know someone that has weighed more than one fish other than in a comp in one season. Now that would be an interesting stat.
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 3:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

I think most first fish for the angler or boat would get killed, its a big deal especially if its been a long time coming.got a mate his first yesterday and boy was he excited .it made my day
funnily enough it was on light gauge hooks and had it to the boat quick the gaff that went in it was heavy gauge tho.

I think it was probably my aggressive boat driveing rather than the light gauge hooks that made it a quick exciteing fight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 8:58pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Phil, great on your son catching first fish. Congrats to son and dad as skipper. Hope to see you round this year as usual. All best for season sounds like great start for you. You work hard for fish, dredge or not to dredge, aside, you have got us thinking. Plus appologies again for being too lloud in camping ground last year and keeping you serious fishos up... its not really me but my dogey mates combined with rum.
Did you see cricket tonight... we smashed em - so awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 9:26pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How many spotties have we all massacred in our time.  I remember when i was 10 'sport fishing' off the local wharf catching as many as i could.  I know what you are thinking, but alas, i got no tag pole for christmas.

RIP many Spotty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 10:23pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Always released the spotties till I discovered make dam good snapper bait.... Filleted or just heads and guts ... Best fresh dam fine b😆😧Bring on the burbon Simon. Booked the leave for virtually all of March til about 22nd.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 7:20am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We released 3 last year as we were too far from home but we would have put one in the boot if the time was right.
Got 9 days off Whangaroa in 10 days time to replenish my empty smoked marlin 
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Page  123 6>