Tagging debate

Page  <1 456
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 8:32pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish Josh, bet it went ape when the gaff went in that quick.

Neat picture Zac, that is a very green fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 8:48am
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Nice fish Josh, what do you think it would have weighed. Did you get it on a lure or live bait, looked like it was pretty lively at the boat with the broken tail.

The point I was going to make is that maybe the reason for Tutukaka having a lower tagging % is because most of the fish are brought in to be weighed because of the 70kg minimum weight and will not cop any grief at weighin, whereas up in the BOI where the minimum weight is 90kg small fish are just cut up on the boat or just taken straight home, because they know they may get grief from the club and weighmasters for bringing in fish under 90 kg.

So it's not boat size, not boats fishing the Kings it's now that bay boats cut all the small fish up on board and that's the difference in the stats? Really.
We weighed a fish in Russell earlier this season, saw 2 underweight ones weighed, they had the board filled out, no grief given from anyone so not sure about what your on about.
Even if we take what josh says about only half the fish get weighed, the stats still work out at 59%. I can't see the non weighed fish here being different to elsewhere.
You just need to listen to ch 4 over the season to realise there is a difference in mindset.
Basically 75kg has become the new 90kg there and a new generation of fishos get use to seeing that size fish generally weighed. The line in the sand at 90 is still needed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:15am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never experienced or seen anyone get grief or even a gentle ribbing whilst weighing in fish sub 90-kg at the BOI......cant say the same for my limited experience of the Tuts club however.

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 10:04am
Titanium
Titanium

Adam I was just asking the question, and yes there may be no grief for weighing fish under 90 kg in at the BOI now which is great, but there used to be, but that is going back quite a few years ago when I used to fish up that way.
I think there is large numbers of fish being processed onboard or taken straight home now. A lot more people are smoking their own fish and are caring for them so much better than they used to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 11:22pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

bit like the family at Matauri Bay, i am sure there are more around the country as well,

first timers hook an lands a Stripy takes it into the beach has it smoked an stored, then thinks yellow fin and lands a couple of those,

know of another that just popped out for a quickie and landed a Stripy quick blat home smoked.

nine pin is only a few kilometers from Opito were fish were being caught.

just my view why more are not being weighted, bet others have stories like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:22am
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree we have an obligation to tag over 50% of marlin.

We need ways of getting that message out to fishers who weren't around when the Billfish Moratorium was bought in to try and save the recreational marlin fishery.  

A minimum size limit has worked well for club members. Some of the non members will do what they want regardless.

Here is a plot from club records last year.  It is for all striped marlin from Bay of Islands Swordfish Club and Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers Club. Looks to me that from 100 kg and larger numbers are roughly similar.  The number of small fish recored is quite different. There could be a number of reasons for this but probably not just the distrubution of smaller fish alone.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 12:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

That is interesting John. It would be interesting to do that sort of graphs for all the major clubs.
One of the things I find interesting is that a big stripey from Whakatane to Gisborne is a 130-140 kg fish (Whakatanes biggest weighed stripey is only 168 kg, I am not sure about Waihau Bay & Gisborne but think thir club records are similar sized fish), whereas Tauranga north 150 kg+ stripeys are relatively common. It suggests to me that the striped marlin east of Whakatane are a separate population of striped marlin to the rest of NZ. What are your thoughts John.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 5:35pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agree that Tauranga catch records show a lot of XOS striped marlin.
Not a separate population, but could be larger fish are more tolerant of cool temperatures or prefer the prey in that part of the BOP. The E Auckland Current bring oceanic water and blue marlin into Waihau may make a difference.
Page  <1 456