Tagging debate

Page  <1 3456>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:12pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Adam, Hey do you think the fact a lot of boats from BOI also fish the Kings has something to do with it? I'm really not bothered much and don't want to weigh into a debate, I just think maybe there is two different sets of fishermen out of each club, and coastal vs offshore. I applaud both sets of fishermen, I like to see them swim away, but equally I think if people land them and process them and make the most of them, then its all good too. Chur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:24pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"I like to see them swim away"
Carlostairua

Really???Ermm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:35pm
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by carlostairua carlostairua wrote:

Hi Adam, Hey do you think the fact a lot of boats from BOI also fish the Kings has something to do with it?
Maybe in years gone by but the charter fleet here is now very small and generally they are day trips. Other than the nationals(which is the same for Tutes too) no one gets to the Kings, nearly all captures are coastal. No difference between the clubs there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 3:59pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Adam there is possibly another difference between the two clubs - BOI has a high proportion of big boats fishing whereas Tutukaka has a higher proportion of trailer boats. Quite often big boats have a much more regular crew, whereas trailer boats often have variable crews, plus there are a hell of a lot more new trailer boat game fishers than there are new big boat fishers. Just wondering if this could also be a significant factor.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 6:13pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Vance, the big boat scene in the BOI , apart from a select few tournaments is a shadow of its former self and dominated by trailer boats, probably just as many big boats fishing out tutes as BOI these days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 7:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Josh, that is interesting in the change of boat size in the BOI. Do you know whether there is much in the way of onboard processing or taking directly home without weighing of small fish in the BOI.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 9:28pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Originally posted by Fishy11 Fishy11 wrote:

"I like to see them swim away"
Carlostairua

Really???Ermm

Wind that head fella!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 9:43pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just asking a questionLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:07pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I fish from Tutukaka...  listening to the radio, Id say the majority of fish killed were when there was a hot bite off the Chicks area for a month or so...there were literally tens of boats there ..and many boats hooked up at once.  I think the vast majority were trailer boats from Mangawhai or Whangarei...  geting into the marlin on the odd year they come into the area in such numbers. so good on them !

I did cringe at times listenenig to the fish landed over and over..  but thats each persons perogative..

I think there is a little bit more wide range charter ot of BOI than Tutukaka.
Didnt John Gregory tag 40 fsh in one  charter at the kings this year?? maybe it wasnt him... but stats can be skewd.

cheers James

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 7:12am
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

John Gregory doesn't fish for the BOI, never has, he's a doubtless bay member.
The BOI no longer has Striker, Predator, Te Ariki Nui or Harlequin chartering and getting numbers. The top boat tends to be private boats, this year it's a trailer boat called reel fun. It's not like the late 90s. To make such a difference in the tagging% between the two clubs there has to be a major difference between them, the 75kg limit verses 90kg is it.
For new fishos coming into the sport they see lots of small fish getting weighed, think its the norm and creates a kill em and string em mentality. Its been in place for enough years now to realize it isn't working as planned.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:50am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by part-timer part-timer wrote:

I fish from Tutukaka...  listening to the radio, Id say the majority of fish killed were when there was a hot bite off the Chicks area for a month or so...there were literally tens of boats there ..and many boats hooked up at once.  I think the vast majority were trailer boats from Mangawhai or Whangarei...  geting into the marlin on the odd year they come into the area in such numbers. so good on them !

I did cringe at times listenenig to the fish landed over and over..  but thats each persons perogative..

I think there is a little bit more wide range charter ot of BOI than Tutukaka.
Didnt John Gregory tag 40 fsh in one  charter at the kings this year?? maybe it wasnt him... but stats can be skewd.

cheers James

We did 36 at the kings on Primetime but as Adam said, all for Doubtless Bay.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 12:18pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 12:19pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 12:22pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Thanks Josh, that is interesting in the change of boat size in the BOI. Do you know whether there is much in the way of onboard processing or taking directly home without weighing of small fish in the BOI.

Who knows Vance, maybe half aren't recorded? Whacked this one with a mate and his Mrs the other day and came home, probably soulf of weighed it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 1:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish Josh, what do you think it would have weighed. Did you get it on a lure or live bait, looked like it was pretty lively at the boat with the broken tail.

The point I was going to make is that maybe the reason for Tutukaka having a lower tagging % is because most of the fish are brought in to be weighed because of the 70kg minimum weight and will not cop any grief at weighin, whereas up in the BOI where the minimum weight is 90kg small fish are just cut up on the boat or just taken straight home, because they know they may get grief from the club and weighmasters for bringing in fish under 90 kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 1:21pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think you have a point Vance.
At Tut if a boat lands a fish we would like them to weigh it so it gets recorded as a capture in the national database (NZSFC).  The weigh master won't do a catch board for fish under 75 kg but still fills out a weighsheet.

I have a copy of the WDSAC records for this year and can say that WDSAC members and day members have tagged over 50% of striped marlin so far this year.  Non-members tag about 40% of there marlin,   The ones that are recorded by the club anyway.  I know there are some that just head home with there fish but it is much less prevelent than in the BOI.

From a research piont of view having a record of the fish caught, whether landed or tagged, is important for tracking performance and value of this fishery. 

This week we got notice of the 6th striped marlin repature for this season. A fish tagged off Cape Brett in Februray was recaptured 69 days later off Wekarua and weighed 148.6 kg.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 2:50pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Change our tags to billfish tags rather that shark tags and well recapture more. Pretty simple...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 3:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

AlexFyssher I hell of a lot of boats already use the plastic billfish tags. From memory there has been a few studies done on the retention of the metal vs plastic tags in marlin and the results showed the plastic tags were retained better but not hugely better. I don't think that is the problem, I think marine growth (goose barnacles etc) that grow on the tags and creating increased drag at speed rips the tags out of the flesh is the main problem and I don't think it matters that much which type of tag is used.

Why they don't develop a tag with a chemical treatment (anti foul) which stops marine growth growing on the plastic spaghetti part I don't know, but to me that seems like it would be the answer.
JohnH will be able to shed more light on this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 6:11pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Nice fish Josh, what do you think it would have weighed. Did you get it on a lure or live bait, looked like it was pretty lively at the boat with the broken tail.

Live bait, yes very green fish at boat, pinned in the corner mouth with circle hook and gaffed on the first jump. Formula weight was 125kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ELEVAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 6:51pm
ELEVAR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Love gaffing green ones
Page  <1 3456>