Marlin - do u keep a 69kg fish or release?

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Cpt.Pugwash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin - do u keep a 69kg fish or release?
    Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:12am
Cpt.Pugwash View Drop Down

I thought that there was a "fishermans" code that went along the lines of any Marlin under 90kg. goes back into the water?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:15am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The NZSFC don't recognise marlin catches where the fish is less than 90kg. It is the anglers choice as to whether or not he releases it. I see little merit in releasing a fish that is going to die if you are going to eat the thing.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:16am
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No size limit on them so completely up to the angler.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote robbosaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:19am
robbosaur View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The first one I get on my tub is going to be smoked.
Big or small.

Etiquette, be damned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:21am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you weighted it, there is little point in releasing aa it's already dead ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:28am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At the time marlin were declared a non-commercial species, NZBGFC (as it was then) undertook to release 50% of all marlin caught. A glance at catch records over the years showed the average fish was 90kg, so the rationale was all fish under 90kg should be released to satisfy the 50% criteria. In reality, many fish over 90kg are released as well.

From the 2012/13 catch records:
Striped Marlin weighed 744
Striped Marlin tagged 796
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:38am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TBH I'd almost rather keep a smaller fish for a few reasons 

A: a bigger fish is way to much for my Family to eat 
 B: processing cost if getting it commercially smoked is lower
 C: Leads on from B I can managed the smoke myself on a smaller fish.
 D: I do a lot of solo fishing so a smaller fish is far easier for me to man handle on board 

Not that I keep a lot of marlin anyway with most of mine having been released  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out of interest.. in the Real world.
The marlin that are brought home,  1st catch big small whatever..
Thats a hell of a lot of meat.
IF one assumes.. and Im not at all knowledgeable about big game fish at all...that like most smaller fish, well filleted 2/3rds meat 1/3 frame waste.
So say ave 90 kg thats ave say  60kg of meat.

So lets assume most catches are 1 fish per trip crew, say 4 to 5 guys  or more(???)  thats around 10 to 15 kg each.....then they get home, throw a few steaks across the fence....

Once boiled down, assuming my guess work is at least close....it not quite as 'bad'  as what 1st glance is (???)

Now compare with a good day 2 or 3 guys out in the harbour fishing, that is not too much different if hit a goods patch snaps and throw in a few KY...

And from what I understand, not every trip out hits a marlin... not much different to getting a good day out on the harbour.....except on the harbour EVERY trip out does bring back a good feed for everyone and their family at least.
Well for those who do their home work and actually get out on a regular basis.

Would be interested in knowing if my guess work on marlin and stuff above, is ball park ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:37am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Close but I would say more 50 -50 return on weight to meat when commercially smoked 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 12:24pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pay $1000 for a charter ,it would be coming home,especially my first fish
how many released actually survive?might swim away but who knows 8hrs later could just die from stress
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 4:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Steps, I'm pretty sure you have your formula the wrong way round. When talking about filleted fish, as a rough guide about a third is boned meat. I expect that to be a little high for a marlin but not much. I would be expecting 30 to 35kg of meat from a 90kg marlin. Others will know better As I have been involved in far too few captures Embarrassed. As for chewing through it all? Everyone want's to try it and when smoked and vacuum packed it lasts very well. Not many game fishermen keep more than one - if at all - each season. Often a weighed marlin is a first marlin.

Some clubs may also have a 100cm minimum size for weighing kingfish. If you are a fan of smoked kingfish (lets face it only vegetarians and vegans aren't) would you let a legal king go just because it's small? I much prefer to fish for table fish than  to catch in release but I have released many fish of all species, big and small - legal sized gurnard, snapper, trevally & kingfish, plus many other species. Only if I have a healthy looking chilly bin though! If I'm ever lucky enough to catch another marlin, its fate will depend on how how full my freezer is. If there's already some marlin in there, I'm pretty sure that the latest catch will be swimming away.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:50am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Certainly would be cheaper to smoke a small one if you get them done commercially. 

I had a 126kg fish smoked last week, cost $340 or $2.70 per kg of the weight of the whole fish. 

Regardless of size, I will let them go when I already have some in th freezer but if an angler on my boat wants to keep one for themselves thats up to them and size doesn't really matter a 60kg fish is still a hell of a feed. 

I agree with Hookerpuka, I would smoke a smaller one myself, have done a 100kg fish in my Bradley, it was great tasting but took 4 smokes and 2 days to smoke and thats on top of the time it takes to chop up and cure.

For those that don't know, If your fishing a comp and weigh a fish under 90kg you get nothing for it, but if you tag a fish they all score the same, regardless of size. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jedijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:38am
Jedijay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think the fish in question was a first marlin for the angler. And while I was out yesterday it was something on my mind. Especially when we spotted 2 marlin feeding on saury that were around 60kg mark. 

I would probably keep it if was also going to be the first fish for the boat for the season. Also not being a game club member means I'm not going for any records.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:54am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its Completely up to the guy that caught it as far as I'm concerned and no one else's business .
Anyone commenting negatively at the weigh station or on felchbook or wot ever just comes across as a jealous dickhead , it's a great moment when you catch your first Marlin and you don't care how much it weighs or if your rig is I.g.f.a certified .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 2:40pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

how many released actually survive?might swim away but who knows 8hrs later could just die from stress

Satellite tagged marlin have proved beyond doubt that most fish do surviveWink (I actually caught the very first marlin satellite tagged here in NZ)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 4:06pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps, I'm pretty sure you have your formula the wrong way round. When talking about filleted fish, as a rough guide about a third is boned meat.
 yep....
When roughly fillet out mullet and KY  fillets for bait I get around the 50 % scalled... bigger the fish the better the ratio
Snapper filleted skinned and boned is about 1/3 meat on just legal west coast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 4:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Satellite tagged marlin have proved beyond doubt that most fish do surviveWink (I actually caught the very first marlin satellite tagged here in NZ)
you say most,what would be the % out of a 100 fish?more likely for a smaller marlin to survive rather than say 300kg?I know absolutely nothing about marlin fishing.must try it one day though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote gkd@igrin.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 4:55pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Its Completely up to the guy that caught it as far as I'm concerned and no one else's business .
Anyone commenting negatively at the weigh station or on felchbook or wot ever just comes across as a jealous dickhead , it's a great moment when you catch your first Marlin and you don't care how much it weighs or if your rig is I.g.f.a certified .

Bang on!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkd@igrin.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 4:55pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Bang on!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wind Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 12:48pm
Wind Up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Why do the content of your posts constantly have an "angle" to them rather than being supportive or encouraging? Obviously here you are intending to create a pro vs con argument in respect to keeping fish with size being a side issue.
The Angler sums up the situation perfectly so I suggest you close this thread now   
Page  123 4>