Ota

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 4:14pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Any recent reports from fishning Otamangakau?  Last week of the season and last weekend coming up.  Plenty of rain in the forecaste - could be good.  Just need to workout how can I earn an overnight pass.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:02am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll be up there Monday-Tuesday I think!Wink... last chance mateLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 11:48pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome end of season fishing up there got a few very nice fishies up to 2.7kg... and hard fighting!

Had some success on Mepps spinner but mostly on flies ...woolly buggers size 2-4...

The Epic fast glass #6 is an awesome rod...handled the huge Buggers very well together with a 40plus 6# and delivered great action during the fight!!

Didn't wanna take my Sage one #7 out of the carWink

Cya October Ota!!

TL
Tilo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:51pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there...

anyone got out to the mighty Ota in  the new season yet??

Cheers
Tilo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, in the weekend... absolute crap for us, worst session ever on the lake, shore-based, but the Tongariro was firing! Most we talked to this weekend blanked, a few smaller 3lb fish about. Lake is quite low and weed beds well established, not sure where the fish have gone! Plenty of fish midging in the wind lanes offshore, so they ARE there, just tough... and picky...

Browns not on the edges yet in any numbers, won't be until at least mid December.

Andrew
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:08am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Arrgh... sorry to hear that Andrew!

I might drive up anyway ,as the weather is crap for diving at the mom in Welly!

Thanks for your report!Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:04am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do it mate, only one way to find out, and it's such a magic spot, even when the fishing is tough and that place has a thousand faces! Conditions were so good too. I think if you are spinning at the moment, you'll clean up, the water is very cold still for October.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 8:25pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers mate... don't like much the spinning... is just not the same ,isn't it?!!Wink

I've decided to go next week.. I've got another three days off in a role ... so ,if the diving weather in Welly doesn't play ball I'm up there for sure!

Keep ya fellas updated!

Cheers
Tilo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:54pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I much prefer the fly but the spin has much to commend.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:00am
Gold
Gold

I fished Ota Sat-Mon, afternoons only.  Sat: blanked. Sun: blanked until 5-6pm when a dark cloud rolled in and it was all on for an hour - one excellent fish. Mon: quiet until 5-6pm when a few were caught but mostly small with one desent fish.  No browns but the highlight of Sun was having a pack of big browns (6-7) chasing a fly (northern arm). Found them! but alas a considerable committment of time on Sun-Mon was wasted as I just could get through the floating weed (blown in by the SW) to where they were/are.  Half and half fly/spin.

The TT yesterday morning was excellent with the river in good nic with plenty of good size feeding fish.  I only hooked 4 and landed 2 but that's pretty pleasing for me.  There were probably 3x the number of anglers on the river yesterday than on Sat. They might need to set-up walking frame access soon!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 11:39pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for your report!Clap

I might stay in Welly this week...diving conditions r pretty good at the mom

Saw a few big brownies chasing small silver fish in the lower Hutt River...not White Bait! One followed my bugger but didn't grab it!

Cheers
Tilo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 7:40am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smelt?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:29am
Gold
Gold

Photo of my best fish from the beginning of last week (released)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 1:33am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Beauty!
Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:36am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We went there before last weekend Fri-Sat...

very hard fishing for us might be because of the Supermoon??Tongue

We got a few fish but really not many for this many hours of constantly fishing

I've lost a biggie as the line snapped ...always very dissapointing if this happen!!

Here the biggest of the two days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 5:22pm
Gold
Gold

Nice fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:30am
Fishwhisperer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a Club Trip to Otamangakau last weekend. Plenty of fish actively feeding and the fish condition was spectacular. All but two fish that we caught on our boat were super fat guppies and pulled plenty of string.

Generally the small fish were 4 to 5pds, but plenty in the 6pd plus bracket.

On our boat we were plonking or targeting the weed edges. Others were anchored up and nypmhing or stripping and a couple were fishing from the shore and targeting individual fish. All techniques were working.

Great fun!!

One negative, the gates have gone in shutting down access to the various camping sites beyond the boat ramps. You can still camp there but you need to ferry your gear in by boat and leave your car and trailer at the boat ramp.

Cheers
Duncan
Page  <12