Ota

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ota
    Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 3:25pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Has anyone fished Otamangakau lately? What are conditions like and how it is fishn'?  I've heard it's high and clear Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 4:01pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did 4 weeks ago and it was tough. Little edge action yet. The main basin is fishing ok I believe. I like it low with exposed weed personally. Slab fished it in the weekend and got a few. Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 11:00am
Gold
Gold

Cheers Andrew - I'll report back near the end of next week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 11:47am
Gold
Gold

Yes - lake is high and very clear.  I got a couple of sessions and found the fishn' hard.

First 3hr session included half a doz rainbows but no big ones or browns.  Second 2hr session - not a touch.  I talked to a few people who reported the same.  Rain this weekend and a few warmer days may help.  Good luck to any fishn' the lake in the next week or over xmas - it must get better soon!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 6:38pm
Gold
Gold

Anyone visited/fished Otamangakau recently?  How has it been fishn'? My last visit it was high and clear which seemed to make for hard fishn' (for me). What's the lake level like at the moment? I might have a crack next week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 6:59pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's hard... and good! Depending on who you talk to of course!! I personally like this time of year, through to when the duck shooters start firing over your head, fish will be starting to colour up and do "jumping displays" around the inlet, they will be in prime condition, brownies will be starting to move off the flats as Damsel activity ceases.  Find the flow and you'll find the fish - no flow= tough IMO. Great time of year to strip #10 Olive Buggers on a floater.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 7:43pm
Gold
Gold

Txs Andrew - yes, I've had my best sessions on Ota at this time of year (before the first Sat in May) so keen to give it ago next week. I hope to see up close some of the aerial displays you're talking about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 9:14am
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I remember about 15 seasons ago - **** that is a while ago now, fishing Ota at the start of April after a huge storm and the lake was over a metre higher than usual and the browns were jumping everywhere. The fishing was great stripping big black wooly buggers all around the shallow bays close to the inlet mouth. 

Generally can be a little tricky if the water cools down too much.

if it hoses down this weekend I might go for a look to the inlet canal as will be in Turangi.

cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 9:28am
Gold
Gold

Let's hope there's some good rain over the next few days!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 11:15am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yip, ****tier the weather at Ota... better the fishing! Best days are black skies, passing showers, odd thunder, cold, blowing its titz off and slightly dirty water IMO!... Heaven!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 2:48pm
Gold
Gold

And a hippy of whiskey - unless you're duck shooting Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:38am
Gold
Gold

A quick report from a couple of weeks ago.  Lake was as low.  As suggested by FF before, this made the fishn' easier as the channels were more defined.  I only got a couple of early hrs on the lake but a good number of fishn caught on fly and spinning.  The best two photographed  and released.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:22am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sweet!

Heading up there in about one week... for two days... see how it goesWink

Bring the yak with me...as I love to fish from the other side of the channel opposite the ramp!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:44am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff Andrew, Rudini watch out for duck shooters, I'd be taking a bullet proof vest if past experiences this time of the year are anything to go by! 

You'll also need to dodge the beer bottles... it's fkn disgusting the rubbish most of them leave behind up there... Try Lake Kuratau as an alternative, less shooters and many more fish than Ota.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:05am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers mate... might give the other one a try!

Yep... disgusting with the trash there... most of these shooters are a bit simple I guess... if I can say so Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:18am
Gold
Gold

Rudini - is the "other side of the channel opposite the ramp" the 'bubbles' or just on the north side of the main channel enterence?  I've fished Ota late May and the shooting seems to have died down.

FF (Andrew) - what would be your goto fly on Lake Kuratau?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:56am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Floater, long leader and an #10 Olive Wooly Bugger for sure Andrew, same kit as Ota for me.

Kuratau is an amazing lake and very under-rated, the fish fight hard and the browns can reach near trophy proportions which many don't realise. You can stalk them on a nice day from a boat as they tend to roam right into the margins and are easy to see.

You ideally need a boat or kayak etc. as shoreline access is limited, but there is some good fishing into the channel in front of the Island with good back-cast room.

It's a good lake to keep fish from IMO, as it's pretty populated, the ones I have taken in the past have been great with nice orange flesh (plenty of Koura in Kuratau), despite the myths about "snail eaters taste like poop etc." They don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:43am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I mean hereWink

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/39%C2%B000'23.6%22S+175%C2%B038'43.7%22E/@-39.0065606,175.6447407,200m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-39.006562!4d175.64547?hl=en&hl=en

Kuratau sounds great...definitely give it a try! thanks FF!

report soon!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:14pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Back from Turangi... stayed for two days in the Garden cottage of Sportsmans Lodge great accommodation!

Went first day for few hrs to Ota. I've tried hard on the fly but not a single taker...olive wooly bugger , black ones ,beaded ones ,float tip sink tip....nothing.
My mate was spinning and got already a few so I started as well and got 4 fish in the last hour biggest was 3,5kg...

The nyt was heavy rain and thunder ..next morning sunshine... beautiful day!!

We decided to give Kuratau a shot. Was a bit windy but not too much ... so  casting the flies was the go for me..my mate spinning again... 

It wasn't that hot fishing as expected. I've landed 7 but all pretty small...my mate had a lot of bites but landed only one and she was tiny!
I saw three nice big brownies very close to the yak ,but they were spooked away by me.

We decided to try the last hours of the day at Ota again but got not even a single bite, not on fly or spinner...
The water was very high and kind of milky from havy rain the nyt before

It was a good trip even if it wasn't that fishy ...would loved to test my Epic #6 a bit harder on one biggie but that's how it is sometimes...

I'm pretty sure to give it another try in the next couple of weeks before it's finally closed again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:50pm
Gold
Gold

My experience with Ota is that it can be hot or cold, but more time on the Lake will help me. Might try to get back up there in the next fortnight. Maybe the stars will aline.

I've only fishn' Kura once and really enjoyed the day (despite NZ flyfishn' comp being on). Caught quite a few but mostly small.  Nice to see those browns cruising and even better when they chase and take (not often enough for me!).
Page  12>