Multiple rods, same stable?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple rods, same stable?
    Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 8:13pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have three rods, my first rod is a TFO ticr II thats about a 9/10wt.
Second rod is an old Sage Xi2 9wt and the third a Sage One 10wt that I pinched off some bloke in Waihi...

Anyway, these three rods are all so different to each other.

So my question is, is there any benefit to sticking to one make and model through different weights so that there is a familiarity when changing rods and line weights, or is it best to learn to adjust your cast between different rods and choose rods that have characteristics to suit what/where you are fishin?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 12:05am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

I have three rods, my first rod is a TFO ticr II thats about a 9/10wt.
Second rod is an old Sage Xi2 9wt and the third a Sage One 10wt that I pinched off some bloke in Waihi...

Anyway, these three rods are all so different to each other.

So my question is, is there any benefit to sticking to one make and model through different weights so that there is a familiarity when changing rods and line weights, or is it best to learn to adjust your cast between different rods and choose rods that have characteristics to suit what/where you are fishin?

It sounds nice in theory, and manufacturers would love it, but with good old fashioned practice I've found I can comfortably switch between Sage, Redington, Scierra, Shakespeare and CD fly rods, from 5 to 10 weight, with about 20 years technology difference.

I'm interested in why you have three rods that are basically the same line weight?
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 7:25am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got a 2nd hand Xi2 to upgrade my TFO, I tried to sell the TFO but nobody wanted it.
And recently I was wanting to upgrade my reel to a sage 6010 and a combo with a 6010/rio outbound short/One #10 came up so I got that.

Difference between the Xi2 and the One feels quiet substantial even though they are only one line weight apart.
Switching between the two takes a fair adjustment so I was curious as to whether people choose rods of similar actions in different line weights. I guess action was more appropriate to what i wanted to know rather than stable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 10:47am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sell the Xi2 (or keep it as a back-up) find a Xi3 8wt, and fish the Xi3 and the One as your main rods. You won't find any problem switching between the One and the Xi3 and you're covering more of the line weight spectrum. My two cents anyway.

You will notice quite a difference in action with the three you have listed there now. The Xi2 was great in it's day but is now a trifle slow compared to the One. The Xi3 / One combo would be a better match.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 4:22pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What started me down this line was thinking about dropping the 9wt and moving down to an 8. But I was thinking of going to a loomis NRX, and then I started thinking about the familiarity thing and that's what brought me here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:40pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What Craig said.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bludog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 11:05pm
bludog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll solve part of your problem...just give one to me Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kalgrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 3:05pm
Kalgrm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The benefit of sticking with one family of rods is only apparent if that series is one you just LOVE to cast with.

The benefits of mixing things up are many, but learning to adapt your casting style to suit the rod in hand is priceless. Then you can pick up any rod at any time and enjoy the experience.

Wolfie asked why have three rods of the same weight. Lots of reasons, but personally I like to have two identical 10wt TFO MiniMags lined and ready for swapping quickly between species being targeted (or even the same species feeding differently). I've got five 10wt rods, and apart from the TFO twins, the others get used in different situations (wading the flats, a 6pc travel rod for cycling with, a 'glass rod for FUN, etc.). The same concepts apply to my 8wt rods and 6wt rods. 

Some say I have too many rods though ... :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 10:11pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know I have too many rods, but I'm a rod builder so I look at it like the never trust a skinny baker thing...

I don't build fly rods, or rather I don't design/recommend fly rods to suit anglers but i do build the odd rod for people who know what they want. The act of assembling rods is pretty easy so figure my next few fly rods I'll build.

Unfortunately though if I build my next rod that removes the Xi3 8wt idea as i cant get the blanks any more. Unless i delay the build idea and somebody on here has an Xi3 rod they want to part with....

A One or a Salt 8wt blank is easier to get my hands on though. Maybe we'll see.

I'll continue to work on my cast of course, if for no other reason than its shameful being all gear and no cast! I don't wanna be that guy ha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 8:11am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I totally back Kalgrm's comments.  

When i head out for a days trout fishing I typically take 3-4 rods depending on what rivers / lakes im going to be fishing that day.  Iv got somewhat of a collection these days. Floating around the 20 trout specific fly rods. Most of my mates have one rod that they think does everything? LOL

You wouldn't go play a round of golf with only a putter would you?  So why try and fish every situation with one rod? 

Try a range of rods and learn to cast them all.  Very few bad rods out there these days, just that each one suits a specific purpose and the style of casting one person likes.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 8wt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 12:59am
8wt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

I know I have too many rods, but I'm a rod builder so I look at it like the never trust a skinny baker thing...

I don't build fly rods, or rather I don't design/recommend fly rods to suit anglers but i do build the odd rod for people who know what they want. The act of assembling rods is pretty easy so figure my next few fly rods I'll build.

Unfortunately though if I build my next rod that removes the Xi3 8wt idea as i cant get the blanks any more. Unless i delay the build idea and somebody on here has an Xi3 rod they want to part with....

A One or a Salt 8wt blank is easier to get my hands on though. Maybe we'll see.

I'll continue to work on my cast of course, if for no other reason than its shameful being all gear and no cast! I don't wanna be that guy ha
If your looking for a good blank build on a CTS Affinity X, Auckland company. I have 2 Xi3s which are both great rods but the CTS 6, 8 & 9wts I have rock. A lot down to guide weight and configuration but heaps of good oil out there on how to get that right.

And there is no such thing as too many rods IMO.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 10:23am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've built plenty of conventional rods on their blanks but have never built, cast, or even seen a CTS fly rod in the flesh. I love sticking with Kiwi blank designers/rollers, I had planned to talk to them in the new year about what blanks might be suitable for what I'm after. But of course i need to sort out in my own head what I'm after first haha. It's hell in my head at times :P.