Ice Box feedback

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ice Box feedback
    Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 6:09pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All
Looking for a long Ice Box with internal dimensions about 130 cm and capacity somewhere between 100 and 150 litres.

Does anybody have any recommendations?
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 6:14pm
phily View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Icy Tech?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 5:32pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Icy Tech are rated to supposedly not melt ice for up to 8-10 days approx. without opening the lid.

I bought the poorer one "Cool Ice" and must say was disappointed with the fast defrost rate. I placed a bag of ice inside it and checked on it 2 days later without opening it and it was water!! Having said that it was inside my moored cabin boat that was quite warm.
It is excellent for a days fishing and the salt ice is still pretty much still frozen at the end of the day.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 6:02pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i've had a few different chilly bins and i've always been annoyed at this rating system of how many days they apparently keep ice.

like ceebee's experience, i've never had A bag of ice last
more then a day and a half. i am pretty sure that thos tests refer to a bin FULL of ice which not many people ever have. not a useful rating in my opinion. they ahould say how long one bag of ice lasts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 6:05pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

bob, most bins i've seen in the 100-150 L range are closer to the 100cm length.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 7:58pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the best bin i have is from insulated panel, which while quite bulky outperforms all the plastic fantastics hands down.

a few bags of salt ice and it will stay frozen and freeze whatever else is in there

funnily enough mine that is sitting in the corner would be about the length you are looking for but probably a lot more volume nearer 200 litre
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Gareth15765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 8:13pm
Gareth15765 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have one of the smart marine ones and to he honest I am very impressed with it I have 7 coke bottles in freezer which fills the base of bin and it will last a week to 10 days duckshooting or easy 4 days in summer on boat in the sun opened regularly
at one point I spilled some water in there and the bottles froze it to the base of bin mine is 70 litre but I can only recommend them

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 8:32pm
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I did a lot of research when I upgraded my chilly bin it was around when FCO was having there closing down sale.I didn't like the look of the ones they had way over priced(even with there so called 50% off sale price) for what they were.I think there are other factors to think about rather than just how long ice will last.Most decent brand chilly bins the ice will last a few days or longer if you don't open them very often or not @ all.
To me the other things to consider were the carry handles,latches & hinges & for those reasons I got the Icey Tek.Probaly the feature that I liked about the Icey Tek was the plastic covered rope carry handles for 2 reasons easy to grip(especially when loaded up & lifting off the boat)& the fact I could replace them if they ever needed to be replaced.
So my vote for Icey Tek well worth the Money.Maybe one day when bored this summer I might test how long Ice will last in it.
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishowin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 10:00pm
fishowin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a 160l long iceytek on our camping trailer. Get it more than half filled for $10 at Onehunga, and by the end of the trip (3 days later) theres heaps of ice to chuck out. This is with heaps of opening and closing.

Got a smaller one for the boat (i think 70 or 90l) and that was chock full of ice for our 3 day fishing camp at Anglers. Stayed frozen the whole trip.

Ice last ages in Iceytek.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:54am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys I hadn't really been too concerned about how long the ice lasts, like most I'm more concerned about having Ice after a max of a couple of days. But it would be nice to come home after a 3 day trip with left over bait still frozen.

Icey Tek sounds like a clear winner.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 11:00am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a 113L Everest for H&F.  It won't freeze anything, but it will keep things frozen for couple of days with salt ice.

Things that I find helpful.

1) If it's warm give it a rinse out with cold water before adding ice and food/bait. 
(For long trips I use a bag of ice to pre-cool the bin).
2) Little rubber feet minimise contact with the deck and prevent sliding.
3) Keep out of sun when not in use (a wet towel over the top helps).
4) Try and open infrequently.
5) If using fresh water ice, drain melt water twice per day via the drain plug.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 12:35pm
cauthen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Consumer did a test on chilly bins . Largest they tested was 70L . Techniice was clear on top with Icey-Tek only scoring ok , I own a Icey-Tek based on advise given here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishowin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:49pm
fishowin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Forgot to mention my comments are based on using salt ice, not normal party ice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 11:36am
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Icey tek for me too. Holds a bag of ice for 3-5 days and thats after dropping it and cracking the insulating panel at one end. 
Dog chewed off the latches, no problem ordered more. Dog then chewed off the handles, no problem ordered more.
And it seems to be easier to get the stench out of it compared to my other bins.. Confused