Casting braid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Casting braid
    Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:53pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Currently running jb hollow 60 on a saltiga 5000h and had numerous wind knots. I'm no expert but wondering if it's partly the braid
Wondering what the best casting braid was out there?
Much difference between varivas casting pe, gt max amd smp?
Tasline all white?
Sunline monster?

Keen on people's thoughts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:16pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use JB 60lb too but have never had a wind knot with it. I have had wind knots in other braid, I found when I was getting wind knots I was snapping/flicking the cast near the end of the cast and that would cause problems. When I made a smooth cast without too much acceleration, it reduced them. Once the braid got a few knots, it would occur more frequently and so did my fits of rage... dunno if that helps...
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:27pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

What rod and guides are you using? make sure reel is not to full( first mistake i see when wind knots appear)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:37pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What Kavey said bro and also when winding in line after sweeping... is the line to slack and going on spool sloppy. If so either:

a: when boat is moving let lure out say just past what you can cast and wind in tight on spool
b: learn to wind slack line in tighter

A wee trick i do every so often is squeeze the braid on the spool to see how soft it is. If its to soft then i wind line in under tension. The last thing you want is plenty of drag running over squishy braid. Its going to end bad.

I have never had an issue with 100b JB but have had an issue with 80b JB with spool to heavy and casting in 30 + knot side winds. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:59pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the 1st thing to do (as Kaveman's said) is remove some line from your spool. I have a 5000H with JB hollow 60lb, and yes, human nature is to get as much on as possible, and then......windknots. Took some off and problem gone. (well 95% anyway).
nothing wrong with JB hollow, excellent casting braid. I've used Varivas casting braid in the past, and wouldn't say JB's inferior, despite being considerably cheaper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys. Been using it on a jm ocean devil but have a new weapon on the way
Will try taking a little line off and some smoother casting and it sounds like that will sort it. Still learning top water so will keep practising
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 7:45am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agreed, Kaveman's fix solve 90% of braid twist issues. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 3:37pm
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Will what Greg said aka HomeBouy is bang on for the stigmata of "wind knots". To answer the rest of your questions the Varivas Casting stuff is the ducks nuts mate.

My understanding is as follows (correct me if im wrong someone):

Varivas Casting Super Max Power (SMP) PE - Solid Core with added WAX to line to reduce knots

Varivas GT Max Power Plus - Solid Core with no WAX

Varivas GT Super Max Power (SMP) - Hollow Core with Added WAX to line to reduce knots

Price wise the JB stuff is quite a lot cheaper and great value for coin. The Varivas def feels softer and smoother than the JB. 
www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 9:29am
whippet View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey just another thing is have a look at leader length if its to long will cause knots I took some line off my spool and shortend leader and now it is fine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 7:33pm
Titanium
Titanium

I have since ditched the jb hollow 60 and gone to the varivas gt max pe6. Wow wind knots pretty much gone and the ones I do get can just be wiggled free. Such a nice braid