Boat missing on Manukau bar

Page  <12345 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 8:39am
Snapfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well just to clarify not my opinion mate just facts...and you are right I wasn't there but I have first hand account from 2 reliable sources who live on the west coast that the swell that day was as big as power poles or 8-10 ft surfing terms...have lived and surfed/fished the west coast for 35 yrs so have a fair bit of exp there...once again glad all concerned safe and sound...and one thing for sure if in doubt don't go out...that's it from me on this matter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gap74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:15pm
gap74 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Met service = 4 metre easing swell, crossing a west coast bar in any swell ABOVE 1.5 metres in swell is always going to be MARGINAL at best!! Swell map or government funded met service for swell forecast hmmm know which one I'd be using!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Excitable Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 4:00pm
Excitable Child View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It must be hard trying to judge the conditions from inside the harbour, before heading out...The weva was prime, not a ounce of wind that day, glass infact. The day before was 1.6 mtrs slight onshore..That new ground swell rocked up over nite,  and to me it looked bigger than power poles first light the nxt morn. It was every bit of 4mtrs, yes and was the biggest swell of year.Two days later and its still a solid 3 mtrs. We broke down at 60mtrs this time last year with engine problems off Piha, two hrs before dark..Papakura coast guard came to our rescue with a jump start. Lucky for us there was only a mtr of swell, and we got home under our own steam.I would hate to imagine if we didnt get the motor started and needed a tow bac thru the Bar in any think more than  1 of mtr swell...I dont know what i would have done with out coast gaurds good work..hats off
Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote Seamower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:44pm
Seamower View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The trip out was a doddle. Zero wind. At least 3 other boats made it safely both ways. On the way back in, rough but navigable at 12:30pm 1.5 before tide turn - but must remember that boats don't surf very well. Lessons learned: have an Epirb, have a waterproof VHF on your person, don't use inflatable life vests on the west coast (unless they have crotch straps) but better still have a padded vest. This was from 2.5hrs putting it back on when it popped off our heads. Also had to hold it down, which means u lose use of a hand, which is handy for hanging on to an overturned boat . I'm actually surprised they are even legal, it was so fk useless. Strongly reminded that you are entirely responsible for yourselves - don't rely on others getting you out of a tight situation. 2.5hrs floating / getting fk PUNISHED by some big walls (1 at least every 5 mins - u do the maths), getting ripped away from the hull, blood pissing out of 2pax with serious head wounds, 1 with a smashed pelvis, then seperated in the lineup 750m off shore, thought we'd lost skip, then 45min hike to get help then 15m later the chopper turns up & collects skip who the volunteer fire guys found thanks to Joy's husbands farm quad. Massive thx to NZ Steel Rescue n Papakura 1 (hope I get that right) for heading out n joining the search, you guys are fricken superheroes. Shoutout to police & ambo dispatchers- you know who u are and my comments wrt your performance still stand & I trust your next review will be very constructive. To the ambo crew, Joy & hub, police & Fire on the scene plus the wild looking dude who gave me a lift after u found me in your kitchen holding a rake & a piece of wood bleeding all over your floor, we can't thank you enough and are forever grateful. Oh yeah - and alive.
JetSkiFisho & all round dumbass
Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote Seamower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:02pm
Seamower View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes there was a reflected swell coming from the SE making for some very typical Muriwai-like conditions (I kite there in plenty) where holes open up in front of you preventing u from charging forward n plain old lumps behind u turn into peeling crests in a matter of seconds coz the hole in front ramps em up - so if u miss a single beat, u toast. I see they say we were 'prepared' - in hindsight I say we had the bare minimum n I've posted what I'd take next time, so I hope our experience serves as a reminder to u west coasters to maximise your chances if something does go wrong. That n having 2 fk tough stand up buddies who never panicked n stayed calm without which it woulda been a very different story.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:02pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

hey good on you bro for getting on here telling your story and learnings, glad you fellas made it thru. i'm sure a few of us could easily have been close to being in the same situation a few times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks for that Seamower, glad to have you back with us. Hope your skipper gets well soon.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 2:23am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

cheers for the feed back Seammower, a nightmare experieance which i hope you get over quickly and the wounds heal quickly, 
thanks for your thoughts on what else would of helped make life a little easier when tipped over,
 I'm actually surprised they are even legal, yep i cant believe they are as well, once in the water bouncing around your not supposed to be fighting your jacket to survive, fully agree full padded jackets should be warn in bar crossings, not only do they keep you a float and up right but they are really warm....

awesome to have you back Oisin, tight lines and may the force stay with you, enjoy Xmas....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 6:29am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Seamower really appreciate your post and insight - we all speculate and wonder about what went down is good to get the real story.  Glad to hear that bods helped you when needed and that you all survived. 
Worry about inflatable jackets - will check out crotch straps as latest maritime NZ newsletter is talking about them also.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:23am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for sharing Seamower, some valuable info as well. wish you guys full recovery on injuries.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Seamower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:24am
Seamower View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

To explain how we tipped: we got caught on the far right hand (surfers right) end of a wave, say 1.5m high, but because of that reflected swell it 'cupped' with us right in the pocket of say 2m high (?). I knew then we were toast - sure enough, the boat turned in to a surfboard, charged down the face and at the bottom executed an instant 90 degree turn to port plus a full stop & a 1/2 roll - so just like a car crash, me n skipper hit the hard canopy which split our heads but thank fk didn't knock us out. Then that wave finished us off - we rolled a 540, during that skip n pob2 were washed out but the incoming rush pushed me into the cabin. Upside down there was an air pocket, **** still flying everywhere, I saw the smashed VHF dangling by wires but could hear a communication underway so I tried a mayday call (I figured I had maybe 5 seconds spare) but clearly it never got out - if a broadcast is underway, another broadcast won't be heard? Anyway then the water & something else was forcing me into the cuddy cabin and not much air bubble left, so time to look for a way out - I could see the port side and knew it was facing away from the incoming waves so dived down & exited that side - lucky as we got hit again right then and that decision meant the hull protected me. Lucky my inflatable hadn't self inflated - woulda been fun trying to dive down if it had! - pulled the cord, saw the rails on the front of the boat n got a hold, then started yelling for the others - finally saw em together 30m away clinging to a chilly bin - 5?min (a lifetime) later they made it back to the boat. Meanwhile I'd released the chain where it was hung up so it couldn't smash anyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:44am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers Seamower
While not good the more people that have this experience and speak about it the better as others seem to listen more.
Your comments about inflatables, always been one of my biggest concerns the way they are promoted and sold as the be-all.  personally, I have both types and depending on who and where we are depends on which one is used.
Crotch straps,  an inflatable without a crotch strap is not a life jacket in my view and I try to encourage friends to inflate them and hop in the water when a service is needed so they can see what you have experienced.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:59am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Greatly appreciated there Seamower.
Actually experience and retold is so informative.
Glad you made it.

Very good advice about the lifejackets.

And I can only support and encourage the purchase and full time wearing of a plb, which never leaves me on the water. It's attached or in the pocket of my lifejacket.
It's only the cost of a rod and reel, How many of those do you have!?
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastguard NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 9:06am
Coastguard NZ View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Seamower,

We give full credit to you all for the safety measures you took that no doubt went a long way to meaning you are here to tell the story and fish another day.  The learning lessons are a winner, that will no doubt help others so that so much for sharing.

Would you mind when you have a moment please giving us (the team @ Coastguard) a call? Best contact is Georgie on 0800 BOATIE (262 843).

For all those that enjoy heading out over the bar in search of the big one here's our key safety advice related to Bar Crossings;

1. Attend a Coastguard Bar Safety Seminar - this provides you with local knowledge, advice and information to help you navigate these often difficult pieces of water safely.

2. Log a Bar Crossing Report with Coastguard Radio like the team did earlier in the week in addition to your Trip Report when you launch. It lets us know you're about to cross the bar, we then put an 'alarm' on you allowing you a specific period of time depending on the bar to cross, if we don't hear from you within that time we will make attempts to contact you or others crossing the bar, when we fail to raise you we raise the alarm and search and rescue services such as Coastguard Rescue Vessels and our search air craft are tasked.

3. Make sure your wearing lifejackets that are fit for purpose. As Seamower has alluded to they all had them on which is fantastic but the inflatable lifejackets do tend to ride up when in the water especially in rough conditions. A crotch strap stops this from happening, alternatively a foam lifejacket is always a great option. 

4. Carry an EPIRB & Personal Locator Beacon - either a water activate EPIRB or a Personal Locator Beacon that is attached to your lifejacket is a great option. Once activated a signal is sent to the Rescue Coordination Centre who then takes step to activate the required services. 

For more information or if you have any questions jump onto coastguard.org.nz or call 0800 BOATIE.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastguard NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 9:07am
Coastguard NZ View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Here is a link to the Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) we recommend; http://www.hutchwilco.co.nz/category/5838

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 9:51am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for all the info Seamower some valuable lessons learnt there, from real life westy experience, interesting your comments on lifejackets , probably the only problem with the foam jacket is it may have hindered you diving out?
Glad to hear you guys all made it home to your familys .
What happened to the vessel in the end did it sink?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 9:55am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Coastguard - found your service always useful and professional (I have only used radio trip crossing reports so far fortunately) and really appreciate what you do for us boaties. 
I am a Coastguard member and encourage others to join if not a member to support them.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:09am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us Seamower. Very sobering to hear your first hand comments and descriptions of the event. 

Have just put 2 of the crutchstraps for my inflatable lifejackets onto my xmas pressie list.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seamower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:15am
Seamower View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Alphaeus II saved our ass and kept us together. She never sank - spent the first 1.5 or so hours at 30 degrees with bum under water - provided kind of a perch for 1 x to straddle, every now & then, on the anchor which was jammed in place. The bow rails also made for something to stand on every now & then (with the rails jammed between your toes) & get upper bodies out of the water, with a tiny little sharp-edged stainless steel bow vent used as a single semi-finger-hold - amazing what u can use if u have to). For the last 15 mins, she actually floated fully upside down n we sat on the hull holding anchor warp loops, getting washed off every now & then but scrambling back up - until we got into the lineup - then it was time to say goodbye to her. She didn't look happy after that, still not sinking but at 90 degrees with only bow rails sticking out, probably bouncing on the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:49am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Most inflatable pfd's don't come with crotch straps but you can buy them separately.  I have them fitted to all mine after doing a CG in-water survivability course and struggling to keep my head above water in a poorly fitting pfd.

It is the cheaper shorter pfd's that ride up - the $70 ones.  I have a couple of Secumars and tested one in anger a few years ago.  It saved my life and didn't ride up but have fitted the crotch straps to all of them now anyway.

Seamaster, you mentioned that you would have struggled to get out from inside the upturned cabin if your pfd had been inflated.  Would you not have had that same problem had you been wearing a standard foam lifejacket?  If you had of been unconcious or confused after the head knock you may not have been able to pull the cord - there are limitations to both types of pfd.

Personally, I prefer inflatable pfd's, mainly because they are more comfortable to wear and don't restrict movement.  Like everything we all need to know their limitations. The biggest problem, as I see it, is that we don't ever test them to see how they work and perform so that we know what to expect in an emergency.

Flares are another example - How many of us know how the different types work, which end is which without looking etc

Page  <12345 7>