Cray spots in Welly

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlyfishingSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cray spots in Welly
    Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 7:06pm
FlyfishingSpearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

G'day, I'm a bit of a newbie to SCUBA, my dad has his Instructors ticket but neither of us have caught cray before. Just wondering what the better spots are in the Wellington region that have legal cray under 10m? Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver9888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:39pm
Diver9888 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FlyfishingSpearo FlyfishingSpearo wrote:

G'day, I'm a bit of a newbie to SCUBA, my dad has his Instructors ticket but neither of us have caught cray before. Just wondering what the better spots are in the Wellington region that have legal cray under 10m? Thanks
I am no expert, but I have found that from shore you need to find big bouldery areas that create caves for crays. If the reef structure is relatively smooth and goes out a hundred or so metres from shore (which is typical of the west) and is still only, say, 5 mtrs, I generally don't see many
Do it today because tomorrow has a habit of not turning out the way you want
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlyfishingSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 10:16pm
FlyfishingSpearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Righto, thanks mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote larsandjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 4:44pm
larsandjo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

High current also. Out west of best for crays