Bow Hunting black stingray - Ban it.

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 9:14pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Geez just because someone made fun of your crocs Cry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:28pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Crackup Michael!!
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 5:44am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Okay, in order to be fair to the person who unknowingly appeared in Millsy's thread I have modified the post so that the person in the picture can't be recognised.

A good lesson perhaps to be careful about putting pics on the internet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 4:42pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wether it be posted in 2011,1911 or frigging 1811,

one thing will never change,
It will still be a photo of a slow moving, poor visioned, crab eating, no toothed creature , minding its own business , Now with a Bow Bolt stuck in it.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 4:54pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Loving the hypocrisy in here Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:09pm
red rooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

Wether it be posted in 2011,1911 or frigging 1811,

one thing will never change,
It will still be a photo of a slow moving, poor visioned, crab eating, no toothed creature , minding its own business , Now with a Bow Bolt stuck in it.

what unlike the ferocious trout an ky the fly boys catch lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:57pm
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So are we still okay with shooting/killing small brained non bipedal creatures so long as we consume them?

I just don't know anymore....to fish or not to fish?

I could totally understand some of the comments in this thread if they were posted on PETA's website, but this is a fishing forum.

Glass houses, stones, pots, kettles etc........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 8wt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 8:58pm
8wt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by whippersnapper whippersnapper wrote:

So are we still okay with shooting/killing small brained non bipedal creatures so long as we consume them?

I just don't know anymore....to fish or not to fish?

I could totally understand some of the comments in this thread if they were posted on PETA's website, but this is a fishing forum.

Glass houses, stones, pots, kettles etc........

Well put mate. These guys are very much aligned to our philosophies, in fact, Rays aside, bowhunting is probably a bigger step in the challenge stakes if bow v rifle hunting was to be compared to conventional v fly fishing. Rather than stick it in these guys backs, why not politely get hold of NZBS President Graeme Warrender, a top bloke, and share your concerns.

There are way more deserving targets out there to sling sh&t at than Bowhunters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 7:08am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, I've had calls from as far as Invercargil about this disease. 

Without reading all the replies I will retort to the last reply from 300wsm before this thread likely got off track. I don't condone taking the law into ones owns hands. What an interesting response from that person however. Says more about their mindset rather than my own.

I will add a modern bow is a weapon. I wouldn't suggest confronting anyone who is carrying a weapon and engaging in discussions of ethics and morals. They appear t be a passionate macho bunch. Would hate them to "hunt" me down.

On the issue of legality; Many of our modern laws have come about because of ethical or moral reasons. This goes back centuries. Most of society already has a good dose of both of those and can differentiate between right and wrong. There is a percentage however that need to be lead by the nose and for them we have to put in place laws and define things as "legal" and "illegal". To put it simply. You are correct 300wsm killing short tail rays, eagle rays, some shark species and all manor of other living creatures to somehow prove you are a better than the next like minded person who participates in the same sad "sport" as you is not illegal... ...yet. It would be nice it however if people could start making the right choice of their own volition rather than being spoon feed by the rest of society at every turn.

I guess some NZBS members and the people they influence have made their stand on "that" side of the fence for now.

The majority of bow hunters may well be nice guys and gals, they may all be. Reality is however, it only takes a few to change that perception on both sides. Uncheck the "notify me of replies", point has been made. Maybe 20 people are now aware of this practice and I have roughly the same amount of new enemies... ...haters gonna hate, whaty ya do ay.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flygimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:37pm
flygimp View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On a positive note... Seeing people with special needs being let outside for a bit of fresh air warms my heart.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 12:26am
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh Brent....you merciless brute you! Gosh golly have you no shame...??

Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 5:06pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

GoldLOL
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 5:27pm
Snoop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting topic. I'm a spearo - and really enjoy seeing the old stingrays and eagle rays in action. They are pretty majestic, and will relax around you, provided you are chilled around them.  Part of the fun of the dive. Back in the 60s, spearo comps often used to be measured by weight, and stingrays (massive ones) were on the list.  It was a tragic waste, big, graceful stingrays hung on the wharf, then dumped, and this did no favours, probably in the minds in the older generation as to the ethics of spearos.  The spearfishing comps these days are selective in terms of targeting sustainable fish.  Recently even golden snapper have dropped off some comps - although their stocks are fine, they dwell in schools and shallow (25-30m deep) spots soon get shot up.  So, they were dropped.

Recently I purchased a compound bow, and have started chasing deer in the hills.  Being partial to any type of competition I had a look at the NZ Bow Hunter's Society web site and their Master Bow Hunters award

Here's a link http://nzbowhunters.co.nz/public_html/NEW2012/awards/how-the-award-system-works/ 

It's a cool system in that you have to shoot a wide range of animals and critters (land and sea based to earn the title).  The idea being to build your basic skill base before tackling big game.  Trust me, there are some pretty talented bow hunters out there from what I've discovered.

But, unfortunately the sharks and stingrays on the list don't sit well with me.  I think as a hunter, really, anything shot should be harvested and eaten. I've eaten char-grilled sticky sweet stingray served on pandan leaf in Malaysia, and it was simply outstanding.  So, it is harvestable. Mako sounds yummy smoked from what I've heard.   

But really, sharks and rays, probably not the best look for the organisation.  It really comes down to are they making use of the resource, or just shooting it for the sake of it.  Which really isn't a good look in this day and age, and pretty senseless. Hopefully they look at it soon.  I, for one, wouldn't pursue the award based on this. 
Axemen Spearfishing... "Putting the crap back into elite"
www.axemenspearfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 6:31pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The eagle ray I found just dumped on the beach above the high tide mark yesterday did'nt sit well with me. Obviously caught the day before it had just been dumped. Eagles are not aggressive, flip it over in the shallows either cut the line or pliers to remove the hook and let it swim off after enjoying the fight, love it when they go airborne, but sad to see the fish just dumped. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flygimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 1:25pm
flygimp View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Snoop Snoop wrote:

Interesting topic. I'm a spearo - and really enjoy seeing the old stingrays and eagle rays in action. They are pretty majestic, and will relax around you, provided you are chilled around them.  Part of the fun of the dive. Back in the 60s, spearo comps often used to be measured by weight, and stingrays (massive ones) were on the list.  It was a tragic waste, big, graceful stingrays hung on the wharf, then dumped, and this did no favours, probably in the minds in the older generation as to the ethics of spearos.  The spearfishing comps these days are selective in terms of targeting sustainable fish.  Recently even golden snapper have dropped off some comps - although their stocks are fine, they dwell in schools and shallow (25-30m deep) spots soon get shot up.  So, they were dropped.

Recently I purchased a compound bow, and have started chasing deer in the hills.  Being partial to any type of competition I had a look at the NZ Bow Hunter's Society web site and their Master Bow Hunters award

Here's a link http://nzbowhunters.co.nz/public_html/NEW2012/awards/how-the-award-system-works/ 

It's a cool system in that you have to shoot a wide range of animals and critters (land and sea based to earn the title).  The idea being to build your basic skill base before tackling big game.  Trust me, there are some pretty talented bow hunters out there from what I've discovered.

But, unfortunately the sharks and stingrays on the list don't sit well with me.  I think as a hunter, really, anything shot should be harvested and eaten. I've eaten char-grilled sticky sweet stingray served on pandan leaf in Malaysia, and it was simply outstanding.  So, it is harvestable. Mako sounds yummy smoked from what I've heard.   

But really, sharks and rays, probably not the best look for the organisation.  It really comes down to are they making use of the resource, or just shooting it for the sake of it.  Which really isn't a good look in this day and age, and pretty senseless. Hopefully they look at it soon.  I, for one, wouldn't pursue the award based on this. 

This is a fantastic post, well considered and insightful - right on the money with 'harvest what you hunt' policy. Clap

Personally I love eagle rays - they're real characters. I've had them on the fly rod as well as come up, inspect and make love to my sea droug! Hard case. Killers whales love them too - scoop them up like bluebird chips - amazing too watch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:15am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The rot continues. Sent to me last week, Tauranga Harbour.

This pic is going up the food chain. The locals on that island in the background are not happy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:38am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A mate who lives in marlborough was telling me he entered a local fishing comp and couldn't believe when punters were being cheered and commended for winning sections of the comp for hanging up big stingrays and seven gillers.
Having grown up heavily involved in sportfishing around tuts he thought such practices had become extinct last century.
Not everywhere evidently
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:58am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If that's Rangiwaea Island I can promise you that I'd not like to get offside with them. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 10:31am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Still very common practice  in my area as is Kingfish on Rays with a bow.

I don;t like it and believe there has been even more incidence since the shallows have been promoted by us and prominent fishing TV programs. I believe it is at least partly responsible for the harder fishing we have had at this end of the harbour compared to the Southern end over the past couple of season.

Having said that, it is a legal activity and they are, for whatever reason, enjoying their sport as are we. Our judgement doesn't mean much, if there is a real issue with this practice then it should be brought to the attention of the appropriate lawmakers and banned. If not we simply have to accept it, not like it, and get on with things.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 11:54am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pole Dancer Pole Dancer wrote:

Having said that, it is a legal activity and they are, for whatever reason, enjoying their sport as are we. Our judgement doesn't mean much, if there is a real issue with this practice then it should be brought to the attention of the appropriate lawmakers and banned. If not we simply have to accept it, not like it, and get on with things.

Hate to admit it, but your spot on there Clark.  I may see it as barbaric and wasteful, but to suggest it be stopped just because we don't like it makes us no better than those fruitcakes from PETA.

Page  <1234>