Dredges (not quite)

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dredges (not quite)
    Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 11:47am
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Noted a bunch of threads about dredges and thought you might prefer some alternatives to what is a space consuming hard to deploy and retrieve system for small boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 4:07pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always thinking, so simple and easy to deploy.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 4:44pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes I have read about the yanks deploying them in a similar manner i think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 5:32pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another cool product PP. Are we likely to see them in retailers here in Whangarei? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:42am
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys.
Jake, I'd love to know where saw the articles.

Yes Krow, they'll be all over NZ in the near future.

"
Sam Lythgo Had to man handle few blacks off these up at Fraser too
Unlike · Reply · Message · 1 · 15 November at 12:09"

Sam used them last weekend in Fraser Island and caught more marlin than the winning boat in the Fraser Island tourney.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:31am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Finally youve found a use for that stockpile of Dojo's............
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

Titahi, Dojo is a brand, not a product and I don't have a stockpile of any of the products. I wish I did.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmm... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:04pm
mmmm... View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They look a lot easier and cheaper than a dredge teaser.  and less drag.
quick to throw out and quick to pull in and stow away.
maybe some of us fish net guys could use some this year as demo's? Wink

buying usless exspensive fishing gear is my second favourite hobby.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:03am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are there actually boats still not useing dredges ?
The design of the head looks similar to the strip teaser ones , hopefully these aren't as over priced and are easier to procure .

Nothing hard about retrieving or stowing a collapsible dredge unless you are inclined to over complicate the process with arms and gantrys and wires running to the bow .dredges that don't break down to stow flat have no place on a trailer boat .

When can we buy these ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:33am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never used a dredge!Wacko
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 10:39am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We don't run a dredge....... yet. We raised 19 in 8 days trolling so don't see the need until ofcourse we stop raising fish. We just run a daisy chain of big lures rigged together and a big arse lure on the other side and seems to work well for us. Looks like a good idea there Peter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Think of a dredge as a subsurface teaser , the other benefit is the effect on the fish , striped Marlin really light up and get triggered by them which you would hope in turn would improve your hook up to raise ratio .
I reckon west coast trailer boat guys chasing stripeys would benefit the most from trying one , the top boats up the far north have all been useing them for a few seasons and those grumpy old buggers throw anything over the side on the first trip if it doesn't work.........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:30pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Another good option particularly for smaller boats and like the way you're thinking Pete. Thumbs Up
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:25am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Think of a dredge as a subsurface teaser , the other benefit is the effect on the fish , striped Marlin really light up and get triggered by them which you would hope in turn would improve your hook up to raise ratio .
I reckon west coast trailer boat guys chasing stripeys would benefit the most from trying one , the top boats up the far north have all been useing them for a few seasons and those grumpy old buggers throw anything over the side on the first trip if it doesn't work.........

Don't tempt me to go out and buy one ...... I feel some TAS coming on.

We had no problems raising fish last season and I guess its hard to figure out if you would raise more fish with a dredge unless maybe you have the exact same boat in the exact same area both trolling and do a comparison that way.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:09am
Titanium
Titanium

Exactly , no way you would ever know there are so many variables at play .
If they do indeed trigger aggressive feeding behaviour than that's a huge positive .
Unfortunately we will never know what goes on inside there tiny little brains , not much I suspect apart from eating and rooting .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:22am
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

and hopefully they want to do plenty of both again this year Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 12:24pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When is your next shipment due please Peter?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 1:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

about a week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 4:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Peter Pakula Peter Pakula wrote:

Thanks guys.
Jake, I'd love to know where saw the articles.

Yes Krow, they'll be all over NZ in the near future.

Had to man handle few blacks off these up at Fraser too

Sam used them last weekend in Fraser Island and caught more marlin than the winning boat in the Fraser Island tourney.
Peter. I wrote out quite a big reply with examples etc but my computer wouldn't let me post for some reason something about cookiez?. Basically strip teasers can be used on a dredge on a spreader or as a daisy chain.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 5:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

The write ups were american after trawling thruough advertisers forums and books
Page  123>