Barkers Grand Slam 2016

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barkers Grand Slam 2016
    Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 7:40pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Gidday. BGS 2016 is on January 30th at Durville Island Wilderness Resort in the outer Marlborough Sounds. As always we have the whole place booked just for us, so please confirm your attendance on 03-5765268. All welcome, and the only rules are no chicks and no dickheads! 
Tournament costs are $100 per spearo which includes the meal on Saturday night plus your first dozen beers for the prizegiving.
Usual antics are planned for the Saturday night. Wear your anniversary orange pants (if you have them) plus a Hawaiin shirt. Bring the best speared fish you can find, a good joke to tell, and a thirst for all things alcohol.
Can previous winners who have the trophies please PM me. We have misplaced the totara carving of the fins and mask, and also the engraved pewter mug. If you have these can we please get them back well prior to the event. If anyone wants to sponsor a new trophy please PM me, or just surprise me on the night!
Can all camera carriers and Go-Pro junkies please limit your filming so that everyone can let their hair down for the weekend without fear of ending up on Youtube.
This is a very special year as its our 20 year anniversary and many of the founding members of this tournament are returning for a nostalgic weekend of hilarity. It'd be great to see some North Islanders this year, and maybe the return of the Ozzie crews.
Any queries please let me now.
Cheers
Barx

Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:04pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No weddings next year so the Stoned em crew will be there with a couple of virgins we hope. Kents going to be gutted about the go pros. I think he was hoping to make barkers grand slam 2 "the after party" .

Hope vaughny and Mel are still hosts? Happy times see you there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:59pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dobo, sounds sweet. The no Gopro thing is just about incriminating people that have a future career as a politician. As for the hosts, Vaughny is still there and I think there may be a new judge for the drinking races. Should be a hoot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 7:23am
Hammy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds great I have been looking forward to this all year. I better start coming to trainings to get a boat crew
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 3:52pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fellas, just a quick reminder to register at D'Urville Island wilderness Resort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 1:03pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sounds like there'll be a good crew at BGS2016. Make sure you book the accommodation at DIWR. We also have some new trophies this year and are keen for additional prizes, so if you can bring something for the prize pool please do. Cheers, Barx 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:49am
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The new judge is "Virginia", so our hosts are Virginia and Waughny. 
To make things easier to clean up after the Saturday night bash the beers will be served in jugs. Each entrant gets 4 jugs with their $100 entry fee. Sounds nice a nice cultural enhancement to the event.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:55am
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

To any newbies that might be reading this forum, Barkers Grand Slam is about good spearfishing and good fun. The location is on Durville Island. Its the only place in the South Island that I know of where we can always find clear water no mater what the weather and tides. There's also a wide range of species and varied terrain. The North end of the Island has Stephens Passage and the South end has French Pass (both areas famous for their currents and steep dropoffs). The West side faces Tasman Bay and the East side is Cook Strait. We typically spear hard out for Thursday, Friday and Saturday with an old fashioned pissup on Saturday night and some leisurely spearing on Sunday. Its a great weekend with a neat heritage, and usually attracts around 30 spearos. Let me know if your keen or need any more details. Cheers, Barx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:55am
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

2 Aucklanders just confirmed they're coming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 9:02am
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome Barx. Kent possibly has two boat spots & beds in Bach if anyone needs space. Pm me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:39pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dobo, I understand Hame and Moe got the 2 spots. It'll be good to have them along.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:41pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The weather report looks only OK for Thursday but improving from then on so it should be good for the weekend. One the attractions of Durville is that you can always (and I mean always) find clear water. The fellas diving Hells Gate had 20 metres viz last year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:45pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah mate Moe and Hamish will be joining kent on his boat. I've got them booked into the party bach with us.

We will be arriving Friday morning after looking at Thursday's screaming SE forecast. Good luck to Bryan,Jimbo and Leroy tenting. Look forward to catching up for a few cold ones Friday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:21pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dobo, we'll probably tuck into a quiet bay in outer Pelorus Thursday night. Karl and his crew are in the area as well. See you Friday night at DIWR if not before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:43pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds like a good plan, plenty of kingis around the pelorus at the moment, go slay em!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 12:51pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You'll see them on the barbie Friday night if not before ......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:10pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

For those that are packing their gear tonight, remember the orange pants, hawaiin shirt, a joke for the comp, a trophy if you won one in previous years and still have it, or want to donate one, and anything you might have to add to the prize pool. See you Saturday or maybe earlier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 10:09pm
The Jackal View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Dobo Dobo wrote:

Sounds like a good plan, plenty of kingis around the pelorus at the moment, go slay em!
This sounds promising... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:51pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Twas an epic BGS, I'll get the results and some pics posted later this week. Well done to the Stonemason, 2016 overall winner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 5:17pm
The Jackal View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go the stone mason! 
Page  12>