30 second Bimini Twist

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 second Bimini Twist
    Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 7:13am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

... this is good!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hell yeah..
easier way... put your rod in the holder as 3rd hand...
2 fingers in the loop .. make sure have a good 250mmm tag end
now run the twists.. I do between 24 and 30....
open your finger up and pull down on the tag so it twists back.
1/2 hitch either side of the loop, 3 more both sides of the loop.
Important.. pull up each of these 1/2 hitches tight before the next one.

I chop the swivel off my clips, then catspaw 3 to 4 times the clip into the bimini twist loop....pre made droppers or stray lines clip straight on.

Large loops ar good for using the loop to tie trace on, if using clips, make the loop just big enough to cats paw it... larger loops tend to twist up, tangle easier... the other big .. biggest thing to prevent twist/ tangle is a tidy well hung bait.

Described a while back

If get a tangle it is faster to unclip the trace, chop the line then re tie, than mess around with a tangle

Can Tie the FG 24 to 30 twists, just as quick also similar way with rod in the rod holder....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 11:30pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This video is where I learned the Bimini. Completely demystified it for me. I use it with a GT knot for all my braid mono connections. After mastering that I just haven't bothered with trying to learn PR or FG.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:06am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've practiced it to do that with feet pretty much as fast...... cant fish without it any more the bimini, I cant tie plait's as well as bimini's....
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 3:31pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i only use biminis on lightish line say up to 15kgs 
then over to the plate for 24kg to 37kg.
the plate takes way longer to tie but is way stronger,
its way stronger if you nip up each cross over,
in fact Lenne Berman he is the husband of Marsha Berman the women who started the pump and grind Marsha was renowned for bowling huge marlin over in a matter of min's
Lenne said he never use's plates and grab one of mine to show why, he said he had never had a plate hold up like mine and asked why it never moved,
Ian of the famed smokers den in Takapuna showed me that little secret he learnt of a charter skipper at Tut's.

yes the old saying you never stop learning, 
nip each crossover up before you cross over again and it will never move,

Peter P also showed me how to finish the plate off by taken the tag end up and carry on as normal plating for a couple of cm more, then pull the double through the loop you have made, pull the tag end up makes it look like you have somehow threaded the line up through the plate, finishes it of very nice and will never move.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:07pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Eric what do you mean by "Nip"... ??

Do you mean tighten upon every crossover?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:33pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

yep thats it Al,
Ian Hunt from Hunts Sports was the guy that showed me back in the 80s,
learning knots back then was something new for most fishermen,
i did a lot of Seminars back then with 2 rather large home made hooks and coloured 1cn thick cord...pink an floro yellow.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 6:15pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Eric. Interested in why you say the plait is "way stronger" as I'd thought the two were about the same and have used that method of tying the BT for yonks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 6:49pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

heavy line light line differance,
biminis on lightish line stretches easily making it easy for one person to trie 
24-37kg is not so easy to stretch, plus your normally would use a lot larger loop when Game fishing which becomes even harder to tie tight and keep tight, 
hence the easy one handed bimini is fine your in control,
totally different when your using a 6-10ft loop and trying to stretch 24-37kg line.
very few people can do it right.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 10:52am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Fair enough - I only ever use a short double and max leader length regardless of lineweight and easy to use that same method right across the range. Be interested to know who's using long/short doubles?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 10:58am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

We use a bimini, straight to the swivel, no double.

full length leader.

same method, but we spin the swivel.

Knot is about 5 inch long and there is enough shock in that
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 11:06am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Originally posted by mangre 2 mangre 2 wrote:

We use a bimini, straight to the swivel, no double...
Nice - like that idea Paul.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 11:13am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

This video is where I learned the Bimini. Completely demystified it for me. I use it with a GT knot for all my braid mono connections. After mastering that I just haven't bothered with trying to learn PR or FG.

I'm Confused, completely different applications? one makes a loop, the others make a connection between braid and mono as a smooth binding join in heavier lines. my confusion comes from how does having a loop attach your heavier mono/fluro leader that can be wound through the guides? 

Good Vid Al 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 11:14am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yeah we designed a tool for the job.

so anyone could do it quickly, takes maybe 10 seconds
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 11:43am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by hookerpuka hookerpuka wrote:

I'm Confused, completely different applications? one makes a loop, the others make a connection between braid and mono as a smooth binding join in heavier lines. my confusion comes from how does having a loop attach your heavier mono/fluro leader that can be wound through the guides? 

Good Vid Al 

The GT can be tied without a bimini, you could use a surgeons loop/spiderhitch for the double, but the bimini makes the knot stronger. You can also just tie it with a doubled over braid (no knot) The wraps around the line are similar to the FG, but easier to snug up tight as you can do it at the end. The sole disadvantage is the figure of eight in the leader makes it a bit bulkier than an FG, but it really anchors the knot and it can't slip even under immense pressure. The tag end faces towards the mainline for casting.

Review from Paulus.

GT Knot. Results on :-  Lighter leaders****  Medium leaders***  Bimini to V Heavier Leaders*****

This knot takes a little time to do, doing the twists is a little fiddly.
I used a 22 lb braid with a 0.222 mm average diameter and Not folded in the knot.
6/10 lb leader diam 0.262 can get to 1.19 x 1.23 mm oval in shape around the braid.  Leader Failed at 87%
20/28 lb leader diam 0.444, can get to 1.61 x 1.75 mm oval in shape around the braid. Braid Failed at 68%
20/28 lb leader diam 0.444, and a Bimini Twist double in the braid.  Braid Failed above the bimini at 97%
Folding the braid would not be possible in this knot on thinner leaders.
The tag faces outward from the knot

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 12:50pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

ok so before braid,       was when i was talking about,
how legal is braid if your claiming a nz/world record???
i know some dont care they just like using braid and never mind the rules.

different lines need different connection hence now its starting to get confusing,
we are talking Gamefishing for no records or staying within the rules,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:09pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

I use the Bimini loop to join the mainline to a wind-on (loop to loop) and also to join the mainline to the leader with a swivel if I'm not using a wind-on (catspaw). No issues with IGFA legality provided the leader lengths are under.  Did i see you had a diagram of the IGFA rigs - what's legal/not somewhere Lethal - would be a handy one to post up if you have a minute.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:31pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

See I would still be concerned about the starting knot in the mono going through the guides in 80lb +... any issues winding it through? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 7:39am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That GT knot looks good but do you really need a bimini?
Why not just double the braid and trim that? It would let you lengthen the leader length, not having a double?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea2Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 9:20am
Sea2Sky View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

I use the Bimini loop to join the mainline to a wind-on (loop to loop) and also to join the mainline to the leader with a swivel if I'm not using a wind-on (catspaw). No issues with IGFA legality provided the leader lengths are under.  Did i see you had a diagram of the IGFA rigs - what's legal/not somewhere Lethal - would be a handy one to post up if you have a minute.

Grant, interested if you then "protect" the loop to loop connection, (mainline double loop to windon loop), with whipping or glue? Many thanks
Page  12>