Spring in the Gulf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring in the Gulf
    Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 9:42pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I havent been out at all since selling my boat early in  winter and have been waiting for the weather to settle before getting out with some mates that still have boats. A ring from one of them this morning to get out again helped me decide on a hunting trip or fishing.The forcast for later in the day wasnt great but we decided to go any way. Keeping it breif we launched at Kawa kawa bay any motor across to the eastern side checking for work ups and any thing on the sounder. No sign of work ups of any size and not much on the sounder so we anchored up at about 30m. stray lining with skippie bait produced a steady supply of just legal snapper which were put back for another day. We stayed in this spot for a good hour or so and then moved up the coast to a hole about 35m deep. by then the tide was slowing and I didnt expect much in the way of fish untill the change of tide produced some movement. We caught some slightly better fish of about 40cm long and then I latched onto some thing that was actually was stripping line out.Five minutes later a nice snapper of about 7kg was landed. Over the next 30 minutes two more slightly smaller were landed along with some 45cm fish for the pot were caught. the water temp was 14 C so pretty early yet. The wind was getting up so we headed back to the bay. Apparently there was a contest on and a few good fish had been caught during the day.
Bring on some warm weather .
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 5:25am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Striper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 7:14am
Striper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Choice!!
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you, hahaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 7:40pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And some of the other fish i cuaght after that one.Smile

A bit smaller but still a nice fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 8:23pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice fish tjm, great colour
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:00pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeh,, all the fish we caught were a nice red colour. with the water temp being only 14 degrees i guess they arnt in for breeding yet.