Snapper and kingfish in the work ups - at Tiri

Post Options Post Options   Likes (11) Likes(11)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snapper and kingfish in the work ups - at Tiri
    Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 8:22am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Headed out and got into the action, interesting thing was that the best fishing was around the schools of bait fish but not necessarily when the bait fish were being herded by dolphins/ky/kingfish. They were all around but not forcing lots of work ups. May have been the number of boats and their behaviour as Skidogg was talking about in his post.

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 9:21am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good work Scotty, another nice vid and your experience showing through on stalking those snaps. Looked like a cracker of a day for it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 9:32am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funny thing was it was rated an 8 by swellmap the night before, then downgraded to a 5 in 12hrs, I almost decided to not go. When I got there it was 8-10knt SW and overcast. However by late morning the sun came out and it calmed down nicely....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 9:38am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice one mate. Lucky I got some of those hitters for upcoming topwater season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 10:22am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah the hitters are good value IMHO
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 4:34pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another beaut vid there Scott, full of info for Fisho's! Ever since and a week before Leathal posted about Elnino winds SW and Westerlies thats all we have had, rough as haven't been able to get out to check spot we fish sometime........Liked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 4:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up Nice been TASing at Gofish Scott?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 6:09pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How'd you know Muppet? Big smile Yep, bright new orange Tachio rod and the Jaeger's micro jigs are good too....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got same rod going for a spin tomorrow with for a snap. Got a bunch of the Cousins rods too mean sticks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 8:46pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Scott
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grampa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 7:55am
Grampa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another good post Scott thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 8:59pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice vid! Cheers for the heads up about the kingies, we ended up hooking two on the livies just passing them over the top of the bigger bait schools, mean fun! We were in the blue IRB.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 10:16pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff, there was so much bait around no wonder the kings were there....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toe Knee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 7:54am
Toe Knee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I assume you didn't release a single fish pictured , as you were handling them all without a wet towel or gloves. ALWAYS HANDLE FISH FOR RELEASE WITH A WET TOWEL OR YOU ARE KILLING THEM
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:09am
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Always look forward to Scott's reports. Half the time in a small RIB your hands are wet & cold, similar to handling trout on the tongie, tt, etc.. If you can match the temp no probs..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 9:22am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you didnt get in for a dive around the kingis at tiri itself? i can promise you there are a lot of men in grey suits following them haha. its a fun place to spear.

lovely edit again mate, great vid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 8:20am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, Toe Knee - yes, all of the snapper filmed I kept. I agree in principle, it is better to use a wet rag and gently handle, I would be lying if I said I always did that but I try to make it my practice. Where I can, I try and release without handling at all, by simply holding the hook and flicking the fish off it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toe Knee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:03am
Toe Knee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good on ya mate, that's the way. Fishing handling is a pet gripe of mine. We Rekkies are always going on about the commercials and their wasteful techniques. But the commercials always go on about recreational by-kill because of poor handling of released fish. Video of rough handling on release is just more ammunition for them to keep on doing what they do. We need to show we are doing our best for the fisheries if we expect them to sharpen their skills