Spearing, best fitness, swimming?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spearing, best fitness, swimming?
    Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 3:35pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One thing I notice when summer comes round, I just cant keep up, like a big sea lion with no flippers.

Im wondering what you guys who dont get out all the time do, to keep that leg fitness. I got good strength but no endurance.

I was thinking of heading to the pool and just doing laps with my fins, mask and snorkel? Will probably look like an idiot amongst the posh heads, but who cares.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chalkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 4:20pm
chalkeye View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where are you? Good number of freediving clubs scattered across the country now.
float like a crowbar, sting like a bee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 5:35pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Down welli way, but I want to do something by myself if possible, its my leg fatigue that worries me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizzlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 5:58pm
Fizzlesticks View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cycling
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 7:11pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I cycle to work and back, 5 minutes down the steep hill but, but a solid 15 minute slog up the hill. I do 20 minutes in the pool every lunch time...recover and then length under water. Most days, summer and winter. Walk as much as possible. I ran for 26 years, but hips and knees started complaining too much. Took up under water hockey and mtb. uwh is the best possible exercise if you have a club close by. Weather permitting, I get at least a 2 hour dive in most weekends. So, it is about being consistent.
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 3:57pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have a look at underwater rugby.  There is a team playing in Wellington (Monday nights I think - at Kilbirnie).

I play on Sundays here in Auckland and I get an hour of exercise with fins on and breath hold.  It has helped me get more comfortable under the water and improved my breath hold (CO2 tolerance and recovery time).   it is a good form of cross-training IMO.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:53pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A good exercise you can do at the pool on your own is under/overs. Do a 25M dolphin kick underwater, then return on surface with ankles crossed and swimming with arms only (the recovery length), then underwater 25M scissor kick, then recovery length etc. Each alternate underwater length is either dolphin or scissor so you can easily count to 10 without losing count (uneven lengths are always dolphin). Do a set of 10 laps (20 lengths overall or 500M). The trick is to time how long the 10 laps takes you. Each time you go the pool try to beat your previous best time. The secret is to speed up your recovery lengths to reduce your overall time which improves your lungs and fitness. 
Interestingly laps 3 and 4 are the hardest, and from 7 onwards become easier. This means you can speed up on the recovery length. If you do 2 sets of 10 laps back to back, the second set will always be faster. 
I tend to mix sets of under/overs with freestyle swimming and back to back 50s. 
I only do 50s if there's someone else in the pool (safety). Try a 50M every 2 minutes (approx 70 secs recovery time waiting at end of the pool) for as many as you can (10 x 50's in 20 minutes, 30 x 50's in 60 minutes if you're real keen). You can adjust the timing to suit your fitness.
Let us know how you go.
Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:54pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The "NZ Spearo Magazine" had some good fitness routines in it if you can get hold of some of those.
Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Azazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:38pm
Azazel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The lazy seals will be kicking off summer fitness training soon. We thought it would be a good idea to try out. 

Otherwise, lots of surface lengths in any kind of fins is a good starting point.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 9:15am
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I my theory is that divers develop endurance from doing competitions. They are seriously hard swimming days if done correctly, and for some reason that strength lasts for years despite lack of aerobic fitness. Almost like anaerobic fitness lasts longer? I can power hard in currents for hours and I am not diving anywhere near as much as I used to. Look at the old divers, they just smash on through anything no matter how unfit they feel.

Do more competitions, lad. Htfu!
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chalkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 1:06pm
chalkeye View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by TheSnapperWhisperer TheSnapperWhisperer wrote:

I my theory is that divers develop endurance from doing competitions. They are seriously hard swimming days if done correctly, and for some reason that strength lasts for years despite lack of aerobic fitness. Almost like anaerobic fitness lasts longer? I can power hard in currents for hours and I am not diving anywhere near as much as I used to. Look at the old divers, they just smash on through anything no matter how unfit they feel.

Do more competitions, lad. Htfu!

Dragging Mullins' prone carcass and a hydro-dynamically questionable plat up-current for Nationals will certainly stay with me for years. Haven't competed since LOL
float like a crowbar, sting like a bee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Penty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 11:45am
Penty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Barx Barx wrote:

A good exercise you can do at the pool on your own is under/overs. Do a 25M dolphin kick underwater, then return on surface with ankles crossed and swimming with arms only (the recovery length), then underwater 25M scissor kick, then recovery length etc. Each alternate underwater length is either dolphin or scissor so you can easily count to 10 without losing count (uneven lengths are always dolphin). Do a set of 10 laps (20 lengths overall or 500M). The trick is to time how long the 10 laps takes you. Each time you go the pool try to beat your previous best time. The secret is to speed up your recovery lengths to reduce your overall time which improves your lungs and fitness. 
Interestingly laps 3 and 4 are the hardest, and from 7 onwards become easier. This means you can speed up on the recovery length. If you do 2 sets of 10 laps back to back, the second set will always be faster. 
I tend to mix sets of under/overs with freestyle swimming and back to back 50s. 
I only do 50s if there's someone else in the pool (safety). Try a 50M every 2 minutes (approx 70 secs recovery time waiting at end of the pool) for as many as you can (10 x 50's in 20 minutes, 30 x 50's in 60 minutes if you're real keen). You can adjust the timing to suit your fitness.
Let us know how you go.

This is Barx thing in the pool and its a good workout for what I do shallow cray hunting and paua gathering.
Due to work commitments and travel I don't get to the pool as much as I like however running and MTB keep me fit which helps my diving. There is still nothing better than hoping in the water knowing you have done a few hard sessions in the pool, doesn't matter how fit you are nothing better than pool work.
Just get down with a group of guys regularly you will be surprised how much more comfortable and confident you are in the water when you have done some hurt work in the pool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 6:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wood swim training fins be more acceptable in a lame pool than freediving ones?

i was thinking of just doing lengths of paddle boarding to start with swim fins as im REALLY un fit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 2:03pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Never played underwater rugby but underwater hockey is amazing fitness. Try playing a game and see how you feel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:30am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah im thinking of giving it a go. hopefully its not like water polo where the guys get held down a lot lol.

nothing like coming out of winter being a summer only spearo and having no leg stamina, not fun or safe. especially cramp.