Gamefishing Updates - Bay of Islands - 15/16

Topic Closed

Page  <12345 10>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 1:45pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i dont want to put any dampers on your holidays, check this site out, it looks like you may not get out till the 10th, wind and some heavy rain on its way.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 2:28pm
Chewbucca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haha. No drama lethal, ya not putting a dampner on anything, I not heading up in the next week,.....just doing some research for when the weather does come right again 👍
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 3:03pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's a great site lethal.

Ramp seems to be good, I did low and high.
Vehicles were safe for us, there are active and observant locals.

Enjoy.

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 8:24am
Mugins View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Chewbucca Chewbucca wrote:

Hi guys . Looking at heading up the bay for a fish. Just wandering wether someone could shed some light on options to launch the boat?(where coming from down south) Is it much of a haul from the boat ramps up there to say the 100/200 line? Any help hugely appreciated. Cheers!

As some have already said depends where you are staying, l prefer Opua for launching as l have 30 foot with fly bridge so much better there than Waitangi ,also at Rawhiti but sometimes the parking can get a bit dear , $100 for two night as she had no changeCry great ramp and all tide. Some great bachs out there too, just watch the road in if your not used to our Northland roadsWink( have some great footage on my Truckcam with retards towing and some others that can't seem to stay on their side of road.) Matauri Bay also a good option for the not so big trailer boat, good luck Mike
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 8:35am
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Rawhiti is my first choice to access the BOI game fishing grounds if coming from the south. The Whanau at the ramp charge $10 a night for the trailer and car. Good idea to turn up with 10 dollar notes not hundies...you cant blame them for a bit of northland entreprenuership.Wink excuse the spelling, very big word.

Good ramp for any sized trailer boat at all tides. Gives you the option of going south round Brett or north to the trench.
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:32am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I recently launched at Rawhiti, it has a concrete ramp, nice incline and friendly local parking attendants. This spot positions just at the entrance between Urupukpuka island and the peninsula so saves quite some mileage by boat anyway.
Certainly an option to look at.

Downside is my Boat is cheaper to run than my car nowadays haha, and it's a ****ter of a tow through from the main highway 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:43am
Chewbucca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers supermodel. How far is facilities. ..gas,booze,tucker etc from rawhiti? Is the road a bit rugged into rawhiti?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:51am
Gold
Gold

BYO everything.. Gas on the wharf at Russell when you weigh inSmile. If you park up in the Bros' paddock your supplies will be stillthere when you get back. I leave stuff in theback of the ute while camping on the island..ie gsa bottles dive cyls jerries etc.. although I chain the lpg cyl up outside to the trailer for safety reasons.
Oakura rd from SH1 takes an hr towing. Pretty windy that's for sure so kids are likely to loose their lunch. last few kms into Rawhiti loose metal.. no big deal.  Alternate is SH1 to Opua car ferry then Rawhiti. shorter windy rd. Wifes preferred route.
going the Oakura rd is 3.5 hrs from Red Beach towing. Gas up at Gull coming into Whangarei.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:23pm
Chewbucca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sweet! Cheers supermodel . Good Intel there. Legend.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 8:52pm
Risers View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If leaving your car for the night I'd suggest launching at Parakura as opposed to Rawhiti. At least the locals at Parakura won't decided that they like the look of your contents and decide to take it for themselves.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:39pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Risers Risers wrote:

If leaving your car for the night I'd suggest launching at Parakura as opposed to Rawhiti. At least the locals at Parakura won't decided that they like the look of your contents and decide to take it for themselves.
Totally disagree...at Parakura your car is out in the middle of the reserve with no one in particular looking after it.
Plenty of dodgy characters travel the Parakura road at night. If you pay your $10 insurance levie at the road end you will have no worries.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 10:34pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"Insurance levie"?????  what is this exactly supermodel?  who do you pay it to? and for what purpose?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 10:38pm
Gold
Gold

Sorry My mistake, I meant parking fee.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 10:45pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

or did you mean extortion?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 10:48pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would like to,say I paid nothing at Rawhiti, at the locals request. The gentleman there asked us to park with consideration on the road area. He assures us we would be OK.

In saying that anywhere in this country you are at risk. So be sensible.

We were OK.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 10:39am
Chewbucca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good info Cheers guys. ....while we're on the subject of vehicles being safe etc. ..is there somewhere to leave wagon and trailer at the waitangi ramp overnight? And is it safe? Anyone had any bad experiences there?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 11:05am
marlinmarty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The rawhiti locals have a sweet deal going can't imagine them rocking the boat
Its worth a few bucks to be sure it's watched over.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 11:47am
TM. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There have been a few vehicle and trailers stolen from waitangi over the years but considering the amount that park there the odds are in your favour.
No where is totally safe, use a wheel clamp, lock the trailer to the tow ball,   best advice would be install a kill switch to your tow vehicle if you regularly leave it overnight
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:36pm
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you've got a big trailer boat and you want to leave it overnight Opua great ramp, safe,fuel on the water, marina pontoons for launching.

extortion? yes the parking is$$
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 1:01pm
Te Namu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My 2 cents worth is that the parking fee at Rawhiti is a good deal for everyone - the local fire brigade and locals have a service to offer, and I'm happy to part with a few dollars to take advantage of the service. 
The locals have always been friendly and helpful to me and I've never had any trouble there.
No different than using the overnight parking down the road from the Kawakawa Bay boat ramp.
Page  <12345 10>