Gamefishing Updates - Mercs to Whangamata - 15/16

Topic Closed

Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 7:09pm
testosterone View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wait till the serious tournys start and as the season lengthens you should see the tag and release go up.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 9:24pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bumper season to testo ,most get the smoke out of the way and onto the eric bristow 180 !!! Maybe this season could rerite  the record books???? Rockstar tag rates will go up if people tag there fish ,not because what hook they are using .Get your point re the hooks ,post the Angler  some .
 Don't tell me angler ,you ordered some and they were sold out lol.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 9:47pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Blond moment and 5 speights ,wrong thread ,meant to be over at the Tagging debate .Sorry to storm in!!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 8:57pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

3-3-1 out at the hook lots of fish around that area at the mo my mate lost 3 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:14pm
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Alex,new boat looks good,tell us about that
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 6:38am
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

shot segador you guys have it dialed in alright - well done
gunna take a run up whiti ways in a couple of weeks i hope
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 3:15pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Geez! Karmz is catching more stickfaces than I do snapper! Haha! Good work team Segador aboard Noahs Ark.
Inner City Slayers.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 7:08pm
Santika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The old man on Langara just played a really solid Blue for 3.5hrs on 24kg before the line finally broke they had it to the boat 4 times but just couldn't gain control. Hooked up at 3.15pm on the left short corner on a big locally made pink Iona style lure. Not exactly sure where they hooked up but leaving from Whangapoua they were at the Hook around 1pm. He was saying they just couldn't get it close enough to get the hook out. Easily the biggest Marlin they had ever seen out there.

I'm stuck down in Queenstown getting updates, going a little bit crazy....
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 10:11am
Santika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So the Marlin Dad played on Langara yesterday was hooked 4 miles off Red Mercury in 160 metres. They are now speculating it was a Black due to the massive shoulders and short bill. It didn't jump very much and stayed deep. They did get a good look grabbing the bill at one stage. But really very few people will ever see enough Black and Blue marlin to be experts.
 Does anyone have any info to offer on the likely hood of this? I was under the impression Black marlin didn't hit lures very often...
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 10:38am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Santika Santika wrote:

So the Marlin Dad played on Langara yesterday was hooked 4 miles off Red Mercury in 160 metres. They are now speculating it was a Black due to the massive shoulders and short bill. It didn't jump very much and stayed deep. They did get a good look grabbing the bill at one stage. But really very few people will ever see enough Black and Blue marlin to be experts.
 Does anyone have any info to offer on the likely hood of this? I was under the impression Black marlin didn't hit lures very often...

They eat lures. We got one on a lure last week and that big 300kg one in Te Kaha was on a lure. And off Red Merc in 160 it could be blue or black.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 11:10am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Had a mate hook two blacks at once,

One took the skip bait, and another one took the one lure he had out the back, and flicked it about 10 feet in the air.

He played the one that took the skip bait for about 3 hrs, until the chair broke lol.
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 1:53pm
Santika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Imagine that! Two monster Blacks going at it.
That photo of the fish from Te Kaha is incredible, how did your Black taste @Alexfyssher ?

Had a pack attack of Stripeys a few years back that was fairly exciting had three on at once with two more trying to eat the other lures still out. I was trying to pull them out of their mouths as we had enough problems to deals with as it was.

Apparently yesterdays fish was porpoising which makes it more likely to be a Blue I'm told. More fish being hooked today including Yellow fin and Mahi Mahi certainly seems to be a heck of a season! What's it going to be like after this next series of cyclones pushes down even more warm water...
Hopefully a lot of fish that stick around till the middle of March when I finally get up there!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 2:54pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Santika Santika wrote:

Imagine that! Two monster Blacks going at it.
That photo of the fish from Te Kaha is incredible, how did your Black taste @Alexfyssher ?

Had a pack attack of Stripeys a few years back that was fairly exciting had three on at once with two more trying to eat the other lures still out. I was trying to pull them out of their mouths as we had enough problems to deals with as it was.

Apparently yesterdays fish was porpoising which makes it more likely to be a Blue I'm told. More fish being hooked today including Yellow fin and Mahi Mahi certainly seems to be a heck of a season! What's it going to be like after this next series of cyclones pushes down even more warm water...
Hopefully a lot of fish that stick around till the middle of March when I finally get up there!

We released it. Was one of 36 fish we got at the kings last week.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 8:27pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Between Richards Rock/Red Merc & the Hook, I lost a Pakula Digger spreader bar (purple) with pink Boone bird + doorknob lures.
think it's positively bouyent?. On the off chance some one picked it up. Small reward if returned. 
loaded it up with the bird and lures as per the Pakula video online, but only 30 mins into it and it was gone. Got the Digger 2nd hand and it had a swivel to attach, which had broken under load. Thinking originally it may have been a d-shackle like the Witch doctors have. 
long shot...but there was alot of traffic out there today.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 9:29pm
-prozac- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How many fish today? Whiti bound 4am tomoro morn for a big day out wide
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 10:02pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Think they went pretty well today but yesterday was 15 marlin, 2 short bill spearfish, 2 yellow fin tuna and quite a few mahimahi.  Main areas are just outside the Footprint, anywhere within a few miles of the Hook, 150m in the Middle Ground and the Alderman Pins
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 7:43am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

We got a wee stripey in 195 a few miles sth of the hook. Had yellow fin in 180m nth of the hook. 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 12:41pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good 2 days out of mercury bay,first day went out the hook and found a floating fad which was packed with mahis,hooked one on the heat it was hooked in the eye so in the bin it went stayed on the hook a little longer but the crowds turned up so headed into a spot a little shallower,managed to raise a nice stripey on the long rigger he would have had 8 attempts at the lure which was awesome to watch the final bite hooked him good,he was a horrible fish to fight stayed deep for ages but finally put a tag in him,stayed there for the rest of the day for nothing so late arvo when all the boats buggered of we went looking for that fad again luckily we seen heaps of mahis chasing saury so a couple of passes and there was the fad the life around it was awesome,we worked that till 7 then just as we were doing our last pass a little stripey pops up behind the btk on short rigger and smashes it hooked him good pretty quick fight as he got tail wrapped while doing back flips right at the back of the boat,but managed to untangle him and spent 10 mins reviving him put a tag in him and he swam away healthy as.Day 2 a friend of mine had caught 6 stripeys at the footprint a day before so with the weather being perfect we headed out,we stayed there all day but it was dead so at 330 we pulled in the gear and steamed to the hook just as we got there i seen a marlin on the surface with no gear in the water i started casting my stickbait at it but it went down to quick bugger so we set the gear with in 5 mins mr blue marlin comes out of know where and destroys the heat on short rigger the speed this thing was doing left me shaking and speechless but to our disappointment it falls of after 10 seconds crap worked the area till dark but no luck mean 2 days can't wait to get back out 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 2:32pm
Sea2Sky View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We pulled (bent) the hook on a stripey on the leader in 250m 1-2nm SSE of the hook midday yesterday. Got some decent footage I'll try to edit and share. Was on 15kg gear, D-shackle on shot gun with light gauge hooks. Some cool life out there too... Manta ray, leather back turtle, plenty of mahis and Dolphins.. Was reading 26.5 deg water temp mid avo with some of the bluest water I've seen. Had to jump in for the obligatory swim!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 6:20pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had our first hit out of the season today. Concentrated just north of the Aldie pins. A few fish getting caught but we came home with nothing except a fuel tank that was a lot lighter. Some awesome sights esp with the dolphins and gannets having a field day. Was still a great day but did notice a lack of skippies and Albacore. Others were asking re them as well so I guess it wasn't just me. Did anyone on here notice the same? I have certainly got the impression over the last few years the tuna have not been there in the same numbers they once we're.

Page  <1 1011121314 17>