Gamefishing Updates - Bay of Plenty - 15/16

Topic Closed

Page  <1234 9>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 7:32am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Pete stayed out last night solo as well, he heard about yft on the vhf.
 he caught skipjack over 5kg but only small albies

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 3:55pm
86mad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any more info on that Marlin caught from mayor
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 6:51pm
11166 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

200 meter line behind Mayor towards the Aldies.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 9:07pm
Millbrooke View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Short bill spearfish weighed at Whakatane today. We trolled and bottom fished at white. Temp got up to 21 for a short time ate Rungapapa knoll. A few good kahawai workups but nothing bigger seen. Caught small albies throughout the day. Good day bottom fishing with bass, puka, gem fish and terakihi
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 3:07pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

went out the back of mayor yesterday about 13 km off a small patch of  water got to 21 maybe 22 
 went out to about 25 - 35 km out  , saw only dolphin and gannets, pulled marlin and lots of diffrent skippy lures for  not one hit all day, 

dead ocean out there 

that be fishing  i did hear, maybe skippys inside the island  but we came in about 10 mile east from mayor and never saw any thing big day no hits lots of miles 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 12:56am
Flying Dutchman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out o 28th Dec  trolled from Major across the Major knolls and headed for the Alderman rise and back, good meter cross slop , temp 19.5 was the best only got 9 albys biggest 10.24 kg and four skippys . talking to Dave Donald , four marlin out at Raglan two hooked and dropped  temp 20.3 . so heading there tomorrow or next day, when weather settles. cheers Dutchy. Big smile
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 4:40pm
Silver
Silver

21.8 deg water Out of whakatane today..... Quite a small patch but average temp for the day was over 20.5deg. Lots of gannet work ups, bait balls etc, but no stick faces to be seen. Looks bloody fishy out there ....,,,,
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 8:38pm
omanu fisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went for a troll today. On our way out saw some tuna smashing some bait in 80m on our way to mayor. Couldn't get a bite so headed north of mayor and fished round 500m most of the day. Caught 13 albies upto 6kg. Changed to marlin lures after seeing one free jumping. No bite. Best water temp was 20.8. Nice day to be on the water.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 9:55pm
Silver
Silver

Dropped a striped marlin today out solo off the motu. Huge work ups took my attention for most of the afternoon and eventually paid off with a hook up. Had one other unconfirmed strike and tagged a mako.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 10:50pm
KEENFISHERBOY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where is that millbrooke?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 12:00am
Silver
Silver

About 24nm northeast of whakatane. There were work ups from 65m out to 110m over the last two days. Just follow the gannets
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:44am
HappyHour View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

out from whakatane yesterday. trolled for about 6 hours.  6 albacore, no skippies, temp is good below white in the cannons, with lots of dolphins and gannets. Saw nothing big out there.  Good test day with some new gear.

If your wanna come fishing, read below, and well catch up.  Probably best if you live in the Rotorua area so we can meet 1st.

20 Foot well set up boat.  I like to go out to Mayor Island and beyond, often for overnighters.  (Game fishing in the summer season).

What you need:

Friendly with passion for the sea and a good helpful attitude.

Preferably your own gear.

An understanding that fishing is an expensive sport, with a willingness to split costs.

Karl 0226215500

I live in Rotorua’ and like to go fishing Weekends and during the school holidays when a Primo Weather forecast is expected.

On another note can someone tell me how you insert photos into a post,  Im having trouble with that.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 10:16am
E-Fish'n-C View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We were out of Whakatane on Wednesday and caught 2 skippies, 5+ kgs, and lots of albacore. We went all the way out to White and te best water temp we saw was 20.6. 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 11:54pm
jossie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

two yellowfin weighed in to whakatane today off the boat barbarabee 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 11:59pm
Reelinauti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice Lyall, how far out where you?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 12:38am
jossie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi i was at home it was cody and his mates  70mtr off motu out of the blue they lost another   
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 7:54am
Reelinauti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good on them. Just be nice to see a few back in the bay. Cheers mate
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 12:58pm
Silver
Silver

I went out for a look yesterday on a solo mission from Whakatane. Started just outside Whale island in some reasonable water and dragged out to the midway point between whale and white around where the marlin was caught the day before. seen one other boat out there doing the same. Spent a hour or so there in 19.8 deg and then tracked off to the east where it got progressively cooler down to 19.3 in 170m out off the Motu. Picked up a 18kg kingi on the shot gun which had me going for a minuteEmbarrassed......then turned back in towards the Motu and dragged back around towards whale in around the 65-75m area. found a big patch of green water inthis depth range out off Opotiki/Ohiwa, then it turned nice again approaching the area out off Ohope. So spent another couple of hours or so between there and the back of whale back in 19.8 deg water......but no luck yesterday. 
the water around off the Motu was nice too but just slightly colder. got to head back to work next week so looks like a couple of after work sessions might be in order. by the look of fishtrack it looks like the currents will bring in more warm water from the NW so will probably head out behind Whale and out towards Roys / Rungapapa.

I would be keen to catch up with any other keen game fisho's in Whakatane to put some faces to the boat names and voices on the radio if anyone's interested. also be good to share info etc. I'm based out at Awakeri, we moved over here 18 months ago from the Naki, and i'm pretty much obsessed with Game fishing....and any other fishing for that matter....I'm in town fairly regular if anyone's keen on a coffee or beer at the club....or come and say gidday at the boat ramp. My boats a black Extreme Centre console "Millbrooke", i'm out pretty regular, and often solo trying to tick off a personal goal of a solo marlin. PM me if your keen.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 8:55am
dilbert View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What's going on out of Tauranga? Is no one fishing or are there just no fish here yet?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:09am
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by dilbert dilbert wrote:

What's going on out of Tauranga? Is no one fishing or are there just no fish here yet?

little jaffer town is in allw at the moment as the local rag has decleard the place a  boom town so the local population including the fisheads are  in such shock that they dare,nt move

the other one is seeing im grounded on land and harbour still trying  to  find a boat to fish out side,

it has been deemed that its just a waste of gas to even try pulling lures before im back on the water  3 weeks to go lads and u can burn gasThumbs Up  

and of course our dear beloved leader john is most likely over pomemoa playing golf and as this place is a tory inclave  ever one is problelly over pappa johns
Page  <1234 9>