Deep Water Critters

Post Options Post Options   Likes (11) Likes(11)   Quote fsholc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Water Critters
    Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 9:33am
fsholc View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Chasing hapuka has to be one of my favorite fish to target and not just because of the eating quality but because for me its a challenge of positioning the boat 200m above a rock ledge and then try get your baits in front of a fish which can be there and just not hungry.
but also they taste mean and the big ones really do put up a mean scrap!
yesterday saw a gap in the weather to shoot out behind the barrier to some marks i like to fish and on arrival the sign looked good
first drop and small bites but no hook ups...
I know the place i was fishing is coming to the end as they seem to leave once they have spawned so was a little worried they weren't there.
When the boys wound up and noticed all there livebaits gone they had just missed the bite and let the pukas have a free lunch!
So back around and fresh baits down.......
full rail hooked up

always a good sight when you have a tangle and while your untangling the mess of braid and leaders your prize starts popping to the surface

Warwick with his PB puka only to be beaten on his next drop

Francois with a nice double

I thought i could let the boys have all the fun..

Warwick's new PB Embarrassed

the fish were all skinny and had just spawned with only 1 or 2 little males still around

Then rob starts making some funny noises from the other side of the boat..
A lot of line leaving the reel
After a mean fish a beast breaks the surface!

The fish was huge with a massive head but no gut to it!
It does feel much better when you catch a beast like this and to know its already spawned and released all its eggs for future generations
once back in we weighed this beast at 37kg but if it had roe i can only think how big it could have been

Back in under the shelter of the barrier we got to processing the fish and trust me the nothing is wasted but the gills and guts.
All the rest is cleaned with the frames going to Warwicks workers and family and friends and the fillets been shared around!
Warwick cleaning up the frames

rob working on the beast

Yesterday are the days i dream of..
good mates with some awesome fishing and a couple BeerBeer in the sun makes you realize New Zealand is such an awesome place to live 
Bring on summer

www.yeehaa.co.nz
www.justanotherfisherman.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:25am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow! all there is to say!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:30am
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What a awesome trip, and yes you get a lot of satisfaction out of the challenge of getting it right  . Liked

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 2:29pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot !!nice pukas
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 4:50pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

far out, serious feed thereBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hkt_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 4:54pm
hkt_up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice effort.
That's not Warwick Hill is it fsholc?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Torpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 6:03pm
Torpedo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mint trip. Nice work Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 6:56pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 6:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic fishing and pics and awesome to hear that they have spawnedClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 7:03pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

well done guys, nice when it all comes together just makes it worth the effort...Thumbs Up
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fsholc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 12:41pm
fsholc View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by hkt_up hkt_up wrote:

Nice effort.

It might be Wink depends whos asking LOLLOL
www.yeehaa.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hkt_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 1:38pm
hkt_up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by fsholc fsholc wrote:

Originally posted by hkt_up hkt_up wrote:

Nice effort.

It might be Wink depends whos asking LOLLOL

It's been a few years, say gidday from Justin Brown, ex Whakatane. Wink
And hi to Dave. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 7:01pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cool, great report. awesome day.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viking... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 6:58pm
viking... View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hell yeah, where its at when the billies are not here!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fsholc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 3:36pm
fsholc View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah mate hard to beat while waiting for them to arrive
It was 16.5 degrees out wide angus... not far away now
www.yeehaa.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:09am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's awesome!!!
What kind of depths would you start looking for sign when your targeting puka luke?
Might get out and try give it a shot some time soon and put the new simrad to the test.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 3:24pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome work there boys..!!Clap. Just jealous.. Wink
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"