Boat security!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat security!
    Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 4:46pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Since my bloats been stolen, for the second time, I would like to discuss this thorny topic, again.

I think they decided to pinch it, because - they could see it from the road - and, it was 50m, far enough from our house, to probably not be heard or seen during the middle of the night.
Obviously, it should not be visible from the road. I see a surprising number of boats visible from the road, but probably very few that are away from the house.

They got through two anti-theft things -
- hitch helmet on the tow coupling - the padlock on this, the shank was inside the helmet itself - cant see how it could be cut by bolt cutter. Anyone got ideas?

- and a hardened steel chain  through trailer frame and a shed pile. The weak point presumably was the padlock - a Masterlock, not sure how hard the shank is. They cut it, looks like bolt cutter. Ill be trying to figure out how to get a padlock that cant be cut by bolt cutter. Any ideas?

Im also thinking of other measures - some kind of sensor that alarms, and a gps tracker. I had a gps tracker, for a year; but it failed, and I didn't bother replacing it. Kicking myself now.

That's it for now. lot of water to go under the bridge before I get another boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 5:47pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

sorry to hear that letsgetem,

outs sight outa mind is definitely one deterrent,

closer to your home is also a big help yet still not a huge problem to those that wait till your away from home, or the very quite dudes who you probably dont want to meet in the middle of the night. 

battery powered grinders are a thefts best friend, did the hard to get at lock look like it was cut with a grinder??? 

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 7:50pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sorry to hear "letsgetem"sheared on facebook
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 8:54pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Liked on facebook to help find it. These days battery powered tools will cut through most security chains and locks so buy the best but expect the worst. 
More than likely they took it and the hitch (did you find the hitch?) and just used the safety chain and whatever to hold it on the back of the getaway vehicle. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sidekick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 11:15am
Sidekick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ouch Any chance of removing both wheels? A bit of a plan, but just getting to plan the next trip. check the fuel, get the bait, get the ice, rods, reels, And put the wheels on.
Just a suggestion.
Good Luck.
Sidekick.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 11:26am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If boat cant be kept in garage under lock and key,then a guard dog sleeping under trailor.
Or ,and not as silly as it seems. Get some big pots. Not too heavy so they cant be moved .Go into the bush and get some tree nettle seedlings. Native stinging nettle. Each stinging hair is like a hypodermic needle ,and they are covered in them. Grow to full size in pots. Surround boat with these.LOL
Touch one of those in the dark ,hands will go numb,agony sets in as many a hunter will testify who has walked into them. Those plants are very painfull to brush against.Would slow up any intruder.

Or as Reel Magic  has said . Security camera.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 11:35am
Reel Magic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You need anti theft devices to deter and or slow them down from taking the boat.
But you also need GPS tracking device out of sight and not using the boat battery and a security camera. There are cameras on the net that will do the job for around $200. My camera caught a thief stealing items from the boat and the culprit was identified from the footage. The police would never have found the thief without my security footage.
www.reelmagic.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 5:41pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some good suggestions, thanks. I reckon this topic isn't going away - needs to be thought about.

The hitch helmet disappeared with the boat. On this, the padlock is inside the steel helmet body, and I cant see how it could be cut off. I think probably it was towed with the helmet still on, by tieing it on somehow. Interesting - I picked the Hitch helmet because it was rated the highest anti-theft device By Aussie insurance companies, on a Aussie website.

The padlock was left with the chain - shackle was broken - doesn't look like cut, or chopped by bolt cutter; but shattered. Could the shackle break if hit with something hard.  It was a cheap Masterlock from Bunnings; no deterrent I think.
Nope - later I believe I know how they got thru the padlock and chain. The shackle was broken not cut and didn't show marks from a bolt cutter. Simply drove off with the chain there (might not have seen it at night) (around a shed piling), when the huge jerk hit the padlock, the shackle broke - could see where the shackle broke on both sides, first the weak side that is held in the body, then the force levering on the shackle snapped it on the other side.   

Im thinking - anti-theft devices have their place, and need to be top class; but wont stop determined thieves. Additional measures are needed.

Ive been dreaming of hitting them in the arse with a load of buckshot. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 5:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Sledge hammers and pinch bars are kind to thieves and battery grinders make short work of anything. You can guarantee the thieves are local. They didn't steal it the first time they saw it. I expect they drive past your place regularly. Maybe a trail cam set to record any movement around the boat? They would have been to your property, scoped it out and devised a way of towing it with the hitch in place. They wouldn't have towed it far from you but it may be miles away by now. It will also be parked behind a house somewhere well out of sight. Chances are some drug maggot has taken it.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 5:58pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I looked at a hitch helmet, but trailers can easily be towed without coupling onto a ball and most hitches can be unscrewed from the trailer as well.  So I bought an SAS wheel clamp instead.  It was expensive, but everyone said they are the best.  Now I've got it and had a good look over it I think the reputation is deserved, very solid bit of kit that would be hard to remove -but nothing is impossible of course.  The downside is that it's a bit of a faff to get on and off, but I suppose I'll have to live with that.  I'll also have to remember to keep the key for it in the boat with me when I lock the trailer up at the ramp otherwise they'll just break into the car for the keys then nick the trailer and my expensive wheel lock.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 4:13pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Later I believe I know how they got thru the padlock and chain. The shackle was broken not cut and didn't show marks from a bolt cutter. Simply drove off with the chain there (might not have seen it at night) (around a shed piling), when the huge jerk hit the padlock, the shackle broke - could see where the shackle broke on both sides, first the weak side that is held in the body, then the force levering on the shackle snapped it on the other side.