Anyone else experiencing worst fishing in decades

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else experiencing worst fishing in decades
    Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 8:54am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Despite a few on here reporting successful fishing trips of late personally I am experiencing the poorest
fishing for decades. In the past have generally accepted the likelihood of maybe one day of blanking in any given year & eve then "blanking" was considered to be zilch legal snapper even tho there were a heap of kahawai or suchlike. Therefore am becoming increasingly despondent about the "lack lustre" of late comprising one total blank & several near blanks despite boating heaps of 290 -295 mm snaps.

Thursday was no exception despite the conditions being near perfect when Nouri & myself set off from Gulf Harbour in eager anticipation. We wanted a good meal ourselves & also wanted as I usually do, to take the farmer that allows us to park the motorhome riverside on his land snapper fillets in appreciation.

First stop was my favourite "never fail" spot which unfortunately that failed to live up to its' reputation & in fact barely showed any sign on the sounder. Next stop was where Boby aka fish4T caught four healthy size snaps on the last trip out when once again I managed to blank. Things started to look promising when I managed this time to boat a 320 snap leading us to think that maybe it was all about to happen was a continuous plethora of 290 mm specimens so were still well short of our requirements despite Nouri boating a smallish trev which at least ensured some sashimi.

Not long afterwards my rod developed a substantial bend but on winding it in found it was a dead weight so presumed I had hooked the burley bucket but when I hauled it up found it hadn't neither could it be the anchor rope as that was holding well out to the front. Returned to the rod to begin the arduous task of winding it in, all the time wondering what could be on the end ... a huge bundle of weed perhaps or maybe a discarded sack ?

Finally wound it in to find at last compensation from hooking a pile of sub 300 in the form of a john dory & a good sized one to boot as the jd had swallowed a hooked snap head first which was firmly lodged. In fact so firmly lodged it defied all attempts to remove it in order to release even when resorting to using a pair of pliers.

We set off back to the ramp after boating another couple of small snaps so at least had just enough for our requirements. At home when cleaning the jd was surprised to find how big the swallowed snapper was at 285 mm so little wonder it could not be dislodged raising the question of what would be the situation had we been checked & had an undersize snap onboard ?

The jd gave two chunky good sized fillets half of which provided wifey & self a more than adequate meal last night leaving as much again for Nouri & I to take away frozen to enjoy on opening day when we will be riverside, hopefully hauling in trout.

Over the years when catching JDs have often been asked for the liver if I did not want it so presumed it must taste rather special so on one occasion decided to try some but found it was certainly not to my taste despite being rather adventurous when it comes to new tastes. Nevertheless have kept the liver & roe to smoke whilst we are away then have spread on crackers pre dinner but altho looking forward to the smoked roe have definite misgivings towards the liver.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 9:17am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

going this afternoon "Bazza'catching the incoming tide
thanked and thanks for the report,going to test the shallows around eastern beach/mellons bay area,need gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 9:18am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sushimi and dory. Fantastic day out in many countries 😄
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 9:20am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Personally Bazza I have pretty much got rid of zilch days. Simply by not targeting snapper all year, in saying that this is the best time of the year for snapper. 

You should have learned from yesterday to drop a livie to the bottom every trip. Look what it got you if you did it every trip I bet you would nail a JD or two everytime and probably a kingie or even snapper now and then. With you boat I would always have a livie out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 9:27am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On a delivery trip north from AK in not very nice conditions on Wednesday there was a big area of gannet workups in 30m or so just south of the Tiri channel. Didn't try fishing them, but could be worth a look next time you're out.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 10:01am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Know what you mean on the snapper front Bazza--but-a nice trevelly.a big JD,and a snapper would please me. Would rate JD and Trevelly ahead of snapper,plus a few jack macks for Sashimi. Yum
But my logic ,possibly flawed regard snapper would be this. Say last season that 6000 ton of snapper were removed for recreational and commercial take,and that most would be in the sought after 25-30cm range. That would equate to around 9 million mature snapper that wont be turning up for this seasons spawn. Over the years this must equate to less fish.And given figures (probably dated by now) that we have 20% left in H.G and about 6 % left in BOP would indicate they have been removed at a faster rate than they replenish. arrgh here i go again.
But going West to the Manukau ,this winter past would be my worst ever on the Gurnard ,trevelly front by far..
Even failed to catch a rig ,which is unheard of.But Kahawai were up a little on past years.
So enjoy what you can while you can out there on the wide waters.
The next 8 weeks will give a good indication of how the snapper season is looking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 10:17am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Personally Bazza I have pretty much got rid of zilch days. Simply by not targeting snapper all year, in saying that this is the best time of the year for snapper. 

You should have learned from yesterday to drop a livie to the bottom every trip. Look what it got you if you did it every trip I bet you would nail a JD or two everytime and probably a kingie or even snapper now and then. With you boat I would always have a livie out.

At the risk of appearing pedantic wonder what the legal situation regarding deliberatedly using an undersize fish as a livebait & yes have noted you do not specify using a snapper or any other species subject to size limits. Seem to remember the regs read something to the effect that any undersize fish hooked must be treated in such a manner as to ensure the best chance of survival.

Another thing that intrigues me is how is it that such a slow moving fish as a jd can creep up on a fish in deepish water with a sandy bottom that does not provide any weed or rock cover ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 10:25am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Certainly sounds like hard work for you Bazza.
You ended up with a nice little mixed bag tho, so good on ya. .
Been poor for me too ..things conspiring to prevent me getting out bugger all!
Makes you really appreciate what you can put on the table that much more aye.
I have been changing tactics and utilising more species thats for sure.
Im wondering if the undersize 285mm snap would taste ok..? It looked like a chubby little bugger
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 10:27am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

John Dory can be very fast when they need to be. Have watched them. They just drift in among the fish ,with no sudden actions to alarm them ,aided by their prefect camoflage. Then wham that huge extending mouth comes into play. They are the perfect stalker.
As for legality. You didnt  use the snap as a livey. JD took it as it was hooked before you knew it.
Hard to say if the JD acted legally. Would depend on whether he was a commercial or recreational John Dory..Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 2:35pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

At the risk of appearing pedantic wonder what the legal situation regarding deliberatedly using an undersize fish as a livebait & yes have noted you do not specify using a snapper or any other species subject to size limits. Seem to remember the regs read something to the effect that any undersize fish hooked must be treated in such a manner as to ensure the best chance of survival.

Another thing that intrigues me is how is it that such a slow moving fish as a jd can creep up on a fish in deepish water with a sandy bottom that does not provide any weed or rock cover ?

Yeah Baz I meant use a mack or piper not a small snap obviously. Even though JD's love em! LOL By the way JD's live anywhere the more immobile the baitfish the better for JD's. Get livies onboard before doing anything else at least a few as an option for the days fishing. 

You obviously had trevs in the berley did you try small cubes of pillie straylined out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beaker59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 3:15pm
Beaker59 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We fished the same area Yesterday and caught 12 snapper for the two of us (not quite limit each) ranging from 31cm to 50 cm mostly around the 40+ mrk so good pannies.

That has been the best trip for a while though as they shut down over the winter this year which is unusual for Tiri Channel there's usually a few about and even some big fish through winter.

However the fish were difficult to find and didn't come thick and fast, patchy would be the best description. We almost exclusively softbait which is best right now as it keeps you on the move which is what the snapper seem to be doing once you find a productive area keep drifting across it until it goes quiet then keep moving.

Fish seemed to be in the deeper spots with the deep water next to Bollons being most productive spot yesterday.

We catch heaps of JD's in Tiri channel area on softbaits and lately a few blue cod which is very unusual got a small one yesterday. Usually a few Gurnard too though none this year to speak of.

Keep at it the spring runs are just starting so should be better each week from now on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 5:30pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

JDs bazza are as cunning as mate,
you may have seen then in different colours sometimes or even when they die they go nearly white which is the colour they use over sand dam near impossible to see them except for the shadow they cast on the bottom.
they can creep up on an unsuspecting prey to within a foot and open that massive gob which will suck them in,

i wouldn't complain with a catch like that at least your feeding and having fun doing it..

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmm... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 7:00pm
mmmm... View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

last 2 years have been fantastic fishing.  december did the tiri 40m mark huge snapper and bag limit 5 trips in a row, winter fishing was on the edges of motuhie channels and shallow waiheke channels got bag limits 5-6 times in a row of 35 -55 cm fish, just the last two months have been ****. got ziltch last weekend.
if i'm burleying and straylining both tides I hardly ever get 0.  most times i've got 0 i haven't had a full day.

5 years ago I was mainly bottom fishing in 20m of water getting ok results
3-4 years ago soft baiting was producing Big fish in the channels but last 2 years
my fish have come from shallow straylining with good current over foul.
motuhie channel soft baiting not working anymore for me.
buying usless exspensive fishing gear is my second favourite hobby.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 7:44pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well "bazza" we went out around the corner,mellons bay and spent 1hr fishing,6 kahawai and 2  x 32cm snapper,all on anchovies,squid did not get a nudge,all over in 20 minutes
elderly neighbour has a feed so thats the good bit.now the snapper when gutted had no roe or milt,empty but been feeding on crabs.minimal cost so all good and no2 son happy thats main thing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 8:35pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Well "bazza" we went out around the corner,mellons bay and spent 1hr fishing,6 kahawai and 2  x 32cm snapper,all on anchovies,squid did not get a nudge,all over in 20 minutes
elderly neighbour has a feed so thats the good bit.now the snapper when gutted had no roe or milt,empty but been feeding on crabs.minimal cost so all good and no2 son happy thats main thing

Good on you mate .... am sure my fishing will return to normal again very soon as reckon I am just going thru a bit of an unlucky patch.

Mind you if the fly fishing on Thursday proves to be the same then I can tell you I am going to be one highly peed off Jaffa & will be seriously thinking of taking up patchwork instead ..... but guess that goes with the territory of being a fisho !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 4:12am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well written Bazza, in anyones book coming home  with a Johny like that is a good day. Liked! With the amount of pressure the Gulf gets your bound to have the odd bad Snapper day. Maybe have more variety on board boat. So if they not taking bait, try softbaits, jigs etc or good old fashioned Straylining.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 9:07pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 9:34pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza take a deep breath ,calm down ,have a drink. Do you really need a Pink barbie fishing pole.

One thing leads to another. Next you will be launching your boat in black fish net stockings,and pink stilettos just  to match the pink barbie fishing pole. Nooo.Dont do it. See what lack of fish has the potential to do to all the red blooded ,red neck kiwi blokes out there LOL Trust me it must improve.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 8:14am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Bazza take a deep breath ,calm down ,have a drink. Do you really need a Pink barbie fishing pole.

One thing leads to another. Next you will be launching your boat in black fish net stockings,and pink stilettos just  to match the pink barbie fishing pole. Nooo.Dont do it. See what lack of fish has the potential to do to all the red blooded ,red neck kiwi blokes out there LOL Trust me it must improve.

Too late John as have already ordered the stockings & stilettoes along with the Barbie pole..

If they arrive in time as was looking forward to wearing the stockings for opening day ( Thurs ) but having looked at the forecast & water temps am inclined to think will be wearing them either under or over my waders.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 9:29am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OH. NO. Suggest you ring Uncle for councelling ASAP. Meanwhile stay calm,shuffle the deck chairs,get the orchestra playing and watch out for Miley Cyrus.
Page  12>