smoked mussels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: smoked mussels
    Posted: 30 Oct 2005 at 3:27pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you want an easy but delicious way of smoking mussels just steam em open and put all the flesh in a bowl, add equal parts olive oil and sweet chilli sauce let them marinate overnight if you can wait that long. Lay them out on a biscuit tray ( make sure theyre not the wifes favourite ones, I did and now they are resigned to the garage, by my bed.

I use a stand up smoker and give them about an hour flipping them halfway, but im sure you could use one of those little meths ones. trick is not to get them too hot or it can dry them out that is where the oil comes in too, to keep them moist.

you can swap the chilli for any flavour you like eg garlic, bbq but sweet chilli is my favourite

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2005 at 5:16pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet chilli are my favourite too. I did find mine turn out too dry though - will try the olive oil trick - thanks. Otherwise my method of preparation is exatly like what you prescribed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2005 at 5:21pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sooshee
open the mussels while still alive, remove from the shell the put back into the half shell.sprinkle a bit of salt and brown sugar and use a fast smoker for no more than 20 minutes.
The mussels are cooking in their own juice and dont dry out. I promise you that they will be real nice.
A lot of people go wrong with cooking them but either boiling them far tooooo long or by refrying them (for things like chillie mussels) for too long.
If I can make the Xmas do at Whenderholm, I will do some then
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hunty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2006 at 10:55am
Hunty View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

have found a different way to have smoked mussels toss about 30 mussles into a kilwell smoker and smoke till they open then half shell them and put them into a wok add 1 by 270 ml tin of coconut cream, 1 packet of Thaisweet chilli & Lime WOK Creation. Toss mussels every minute or so for about 5 to 10 minutes then place on platter and pour excess juice over. serve with your favourite bread to soak up the juices. It is and absolute winner to add to your barbaque menu

Tigt lines & No Lies,

Hunty.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2006 at 12:51pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will definately give that one a go cheers hunty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Dish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2006 at 10:23pm
Fish Dish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My mouth is watering.
One more Kingie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FrankE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 9:38pm
FrankE View Drop Down
New User
New User

Smoked Mussels (compact Smoker)

I have been using the following recipe from Carl Scott "The Kiwi Smoker" and can heartily recommend it. Goes as follows:

Simmer mussels in a large pot until just opened, then throw away the unopenned ones.

Fold each mussel open so that it fits in the side it is still fixed to.

Remove beard and discard the opposite shell. Depending on size of the mussel pour half to one teaspoon of olive oil over each (this is easier if the mussels are placed on the smoker's rack first).

To each mussel add:

1 pinch of salt

1 pinch of brown sugar

sprinkling of ground pepper

Fill the burner to quarter full, place one smallhandful of your favourite sawdust on the smoker foor, and smoke.

Can be snacked straight from the smoker, My preference ids to cool them off in the fridge and then serve as a snack, if you are unfortunate to have visitors arrive.

FrankE

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Donald Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 7:40am
Donald Duck View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quote: Originally posted by craysee on 30 October 2005

If you want an easy but delicious way of smoking mussels just steam em open and put all the flesh in a bowel, add equal parts olive oil and sweet chilli sauce let them marinate overnight if you can wait that long. Lay them out on a biscuit tray ( make sure theyre not the wifes favourite ones, I did and now they are resigned to the garage, by my bed.

I use a stand up smoker and give them about an hour flipping them halfway, but im sure you could use one of those little meths ones. trick is not to get them too hot or it can dry them out that is where the oil comes in too, to keep them moist.

you can swap the chilli for any flavour you like eg garlic, bbq but sweet chilli is my favourite

I'm kind of a bit shy about eating anything that's already been steamed and put in a bowel. Sounds like a load of s**t to me!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2006 at 11:42pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done beagle, it took a while to pick up on the spelling mistake even i missed it! try em in a bowl instead im sure you wont be dissapointed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hunty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2006 at 1:25pm
Hunty View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Smoked Prawns and Scallops

Tried something different the other day smoked prawns (must be uncooked and don,t add anything to them) and scallops . All I did was lay a strip of tin foil on the Kilwell smoker tray and poked about 20 holes in it and laid the pawns and scallops on the tin foil and using one of the trays filled with meths and smoked for about  5 to 10 minutes. Really great to add to our smoked mussells recipe. 

Fish hard and eat well,

Hunty.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Legend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 9:17am
Blue Legend View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Doing 2 trays of Thai smoked mussells in the new Bradley smoker, will let you know how they turn out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote biggear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 8:05am
biggear View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They all sound good. Im gonna be lazy and get some mussels from Pak n Save and try it out tonight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingihunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 3:15pm
Kingihunter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Steam mussels and throw out any unopened.
Remove beard and place on a tray or tin foil on your smokers rack.
Smoke at a low heat I have a stand up smoker and left them in for approx 30mins.
Mix a cup of oil with about a tblsp of crushed garlic or sweet chilli sauce or a mixture of both.
Mix well and add mussels.
Can be eaten warm or if you can wait let them cool and the flavor will be even better.
Seriously nice!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 9:43am
spearbean View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just did some one the weekend, basic recipe. Boiled water over a couple of cruches Bay Leaves, then into oil, brown sugar, salt pepper and then thats it ... about 30+ mins in the smoker. found that if you turn the mussels in the shell they get a better smoked flavor..mmmm