Gurnard hooks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eatit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gurnard hooks
    Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 11:42am
eatit View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Gurnard have big hard mouths but don't pull that hard. Therefore can anyone recommend a hook that is:

1. Big enough to take a decent bait and avoid tiny fish, say 6/0 or 7/0
2. Thin enough that it doesn't take too much to go through that hard cartiladge gurnard mouth. Ideally half or 2/3rd of the thickness of normal hooks.
3. Preferably circle/recurve style

Keen to hear what others are having success with on these delicious fish. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 12:54pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mustard Demons 5/0-7/0 is what I use , a thin but strong gauge , I buy these hooks exclusivley for gurnard .
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 12:55pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

My bet would be the Gamakatsu 4/0 circle.
They also like softbaits but sometimes take 2-3 attempts at the bait to get hooked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 3:43pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out west Gamakatsu 6/0 circles for us (and everything else on dropper rigs).

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:06pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use long line hooks on the kaipara, I tie them intopink and blue flasher. But I find you have to keep an eye on the hook point as they do bend over after a while.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:33pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Mustard Demons 5/0-7/0 is what I use , a thin but strong gauge , I buy these hooks exclusivley for gurnard .

awesome light gauge circle hook, seems to be what you're after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eatit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 10:33pm
eatit View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks I'll give the demons a go. Have some Gamakatsu's also which I haven't tried, they don't seem much thinner than normal though, maybe a little.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I agree, Demons are great but I'm tight and don't use them but they are really good as are the Gamakatsu circles. 4/0 is a great gurnard size but out the west coast where there are plenty of bigger fish around, 6/0 & 7/0 will still catch plenty and will survive most bigger fish without straightening out.  While you won't bend a hook on light gear you will if you use a two hook dropper rig on a 24kg trace as double hook ups of pesky snapper reults in a tug of way with fish busting off. If you are fishing very light line then 4/0 in the types already mentioned will be easier to set.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda-Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 6:56pm
Wanda-Ra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Last 18 gurnard have been caught exclusively using Uncles old Bait sabakis which had those tiny Gamakatsu hooks on them. Caught and held up to mid 50cm sized fish on them as well.
Been great fun for the kids,expecting sprats off the wharf and gurnard turn up bigger than the charter was catching.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 7:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Awesome. I have a write up on gurnard in the Briny Bar that's probably still on the first page and there's some really good debate on circles vs J hooks there as well.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:27am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One more plug for the light-gauge Demon Circles, sharp as and penetrate like crazy.
They look flimsy as but over the summer I landed a ~60cm snapper on a 2/0 while fishing for Tarakihi, no worries.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:00pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I rate the Mustard Demon highly for gurnard.Size 5-6/0.

Also rate the Black Magic K.S 3-4/0 highly

Find both types keep their point well,especially when given a fresh water wash after fishing.
Using that size hook also gives a good chance for Trevelly which sometimes turn up . And in fact any other species that comes by,

Also i use as much as possible  skippy for bait as it is a good bait for Both  Gurnard and Trevelly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda-Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 10:07pm
Wanda-Ra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yep, best bait I have found is salted " Bonito".

I prefer the smaller hook sizes as there is less leverage applied to them.  Try it out, grab a small hook and a much larger hook the same diameter. The larger hook is far easier to straighten out.