Redquarters Stories

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redquarters Stories
    Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:13pm
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lads, as some of you may or not be aware I have pretty regular articles in the fishing world and next issue I want to do one about the mighty Redquarters.  Some of me best dive trips have been on that vessel and I reckon she's prolly more seen "firsts" and PBs than any other boat in the country.  What I'm imagining is a bunch of short stories about your best fish consolidated into one article.  If anyone would care to participate and be immortalized in the glory of print I'd love to get your stories.
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. " Hunter S. Thompson
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 5:54pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Unfortunately most of the first I seen was not spearfishing related
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigbrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:08pm
bigbrett View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have I got a cracker for you - I'll see if I can find it in the old threads on RQ Big smile
Also known as "Dory Rider"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:23pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigbrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:58pm
bigbrett View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You're a legend UJ - the one time I didn't write a novel for a good fish ;) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:58pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm 80% certain I had a November 2012 trip largely lined up with Red, but he pulled the pin on the entire operation prior to anything solid being booked

If so then it's about three years since the last ever RedQuarters spearfishing trip.

Wow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 12:12pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jeepers UJ. Thanks for reminding me of the old days, when I actually shot snapper....
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/sss-wn-mokes-gbi-16th-september-2011_topic63377_page36.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 4:29pm
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah I'm wiping a little tear as I go back through those threads UJ.  What a hole has been left in my heart.  My liver has nearly grown back.

I'm waiting by my inbox Big Boy
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. " Hunter S. Thompson
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 5:15pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The two trips I had were awesome, great to mix up people from all over NZ. BB is very cuddly. Herby showed us how to shoot snapper, and my memory is branded with a 'what might have been' snapper moment. UJ is my best friend, or maybe LJ.
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigbrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 11:25pm
bigbrett View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Think I was on one of the last trips Red did In June 2013 with Kolt and a few fishermen. There were only 12 of us on that trip and Red told me that was just enough to break even - we really lost something great due to under-utilisation Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearfisher916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 7:43pm
spearfisher916 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Jeez, I just miss all of yous and the serene silence that was Red shutting down the engine at 1am.

I learnt the art of swimming off hangovers thanks to that boat. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 4:09pm
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Many thanks to those who've helped.  Hopefully be out in November!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 8:32pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My only trip on red quarters netted me a PB snap at 27.4cm. My first and only snapper on a spear. Practiced snooping and spooked a good snap.   Kolt kindly taught me how to burley a drummer. I bought a new gun for the trip and struggled to load it. Got stung on the lips by a mean as jelly. Spearsniper had to medivac me back in the tender. Hurt all day and couldn't wear a mask afterwards. Speared my first ever koheru at the mokes. Big ones. Speared my first porae. Drank lotsa booze. Slept next to the engine. Hot and noisy. Watched Josh bring in massive loads of big snaps.

Awesome trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 10:40pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know how you feel DeKay - my first trip on there I couldn't load my gun - new rubbers! Luckily I didn't see too much to shoot before I went back to the boat and put some old rubbers on it! 
I did introduce the boys to trevally carpaccio though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 10:17pm
Bull View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mokes, arid, green wrasse, bluefish, broken, reach around, blisters behind knees, longest day in water 6.45am out 9.30pm, several double digits, leaking snapper juice all through overhead locker on plane, bb on the bourbon, first boary, whio, maggot, viaduct, red. More than a few good memories.
http://www.squidfish.net/

�.��.���'�.�����'�.��.���'�.� ><((((�>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 10:44pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've formed a number of lifelong friendships on that boat, and Bull you're one of them (along with several other wonderful chaps who (now) infrequently visit this forum)

The trick will be to not let the next Redquarters slip away due to lack of business, and also to acknowledge that a forum like this (despite the small percentage of things you hate reading) is a wonderful vehicle to establish long lasting relationships with people of like mind.

You don't just bump into these wonderful people on the street. First you must read their posts to see if there grammer are acceptable.

Amen Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 5:00pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I remember this one time that some dick lost all self control on the mussel farm and speared 12 panny snapper, he was so pumped that he got photos with his catch, then once the adrenalin wore off tried to deny it. What a dick. He's 'probably' done the same with SBG.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 6:26pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

I remember this one time that some dick lost all self control on the mussel farm and speared 12 panny snapper, he was so pumped that he got photos with his catch, then once the adrenalin wore off tried to deny it. What a dick. He's 'probably' done the same with SBG.

Was that me? I can't remember. Anyway Herby, you shouldn't be such a Tattle tale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _Jimmy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 6:48pm
_Jimmy_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I remember this time this young fulla bailed up this old man about catching over his limit. I think both were so liqoured that neither made any sense. Either that or everyone watching it had downed too many rums to make sense of it all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 7:10pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It was up there with the "It's heaps better than a Bradley" incident

*smirks

Page  12>