Refurbishing 5.5 surtees

Page  123 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refurbishing 5.5 surtees
    Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 6:52pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey just thought i would share my experience of refurbishing my 5.5.surtees.

I believe it was a 99 model that was a demo model. I picked it up in 2003. White powder coat full carpet with blue cushions. These weird hull.extension things ill try and take a photo of them as they are removed now.

Needless to say i have had a few issues with a few things not being done quite right which have been rectified by the surtees factory now. And will update things as i remeber them.

So far the rotting carpet in the shelves and walls have been removed. Contact glue and powder coat have been stripped. The non slip where rodholders along gunnels removed stripped as have the sides.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 6:58pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

look forward to watching this one
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 5:00pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you stripped the nylac back to bare alli on the sides
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote powerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 7:16pm
powerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How are you stripping back the powdercoating?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 8:24pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

this will be interesting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:51pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know he has sucked a lot of dust.
That's a man on a mean mission.
Starting to look real good Jake.
Can I ask you to orientate the photos.
Bloody iPads keep spinning them.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 9:17am
Platinum
Platinum

these are the weird hull extenders suppose to be trim tab things (but they are fixed??

Front on view before stripping
150903_122111.jpg" />

side view. Notice where powder coat has peeled away and some corrosion here. Was where old arial sat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 9:26am
Platinum
Platinum

In regards to stripping the powder coat is a MAJOR pain.

The outer sides I used a paint stripper and water blaster. It worked well but clearly a big dangerous mess!

The top sides I used a chisel to peal and scrape the non slip pads and glue of. Interesting that thenwhite powder coat was like new and 16 or 17 years of use salt water etc had not disturbed these. Orbital sander here using a few different techniques works well

Inside the cockpit was anothrr mission. Removing fuel filter battey boxes was difficult with corroded bolts and all the carpet that was in all the shelving bottom and sides was just ripped off - very rotten. This left contact glue behind. So a grider and stripping discs followed by orbital sander to tidy this up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 12:47pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I found the best thing to remove flaking paint when I did up my old alloy boat were the 3M discs.  Use the blue least aggressive grade as the coarser pads dig into the alloy.  If you are careful there will be no need to go back over the area with a sander.  You have to buy a backing tool that the discs screw in to.

Also I remember being told to use non-ferrous discs if I was grinding.

On sound paint, stripper then 3M discs again.

On deck tread alloy stripper then s/s wire brush and chisel/scraper and good luck with that - its painfully slow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:22pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Painted alloy boats look lovely, initially - but eventually, I suspect, are a pain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 6:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

Painted and nylac given enough time will cause lots of fun problems. Bare alloy the only way to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 6:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

One side polished up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 10:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

Another snag i will havento over come are these massive rivets that I think hold the top half of the boat on - i think. There used to be this plastic or polyethylene bump guard around the whole boat that has long since desintergrated leaving the rivets exposed and not flush. I had the choice a few years ago of drilling them all out or hammering them home. I hammered them home. The rivets held on this plastic bump guard and by the looks of it actaully hold the top half ie cuddy and flat slides onto the hull. Now days from factory i believe there are welds under this lip - not huge rivets and of course a very subtle thin bump guard

Annoying to tidy uo to say the least. Will.be a long process with emery paper getting this to look good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 4:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

The fold down tray that opens to the back shelf that houses the battery's

And the sanded (not yet finished) product
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

Started sanding the cuddy today. Big job but managed to find the right grade paper that stripped the powder coat off FAST without damaging the alloy

This is the best part of the cuddy sanded. Not finished but starting to look like a new boat.

Any idea on how the rocket launcher can be made easier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:36pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe try getting it soda or lightly sand blasted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:49pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

bet those rivets were a surprise

what was the alloy like behind the carpet - any corrosion? or had the powedercoating protected it?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 4:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter] bet those rivets were a surprise

what was the alloy like behind the carpet - any corrosion? or had the powedercoating protected it?

Yes the rivets were a suprise but nothing I can really do with them except leave them or a lot of welding and grinding. So ill just leave them.

The alloy behind the carpet had loads of contact glue and powder coat some parts have faired well. Others not so well.
Basically where ever the carpet could retain moisture or got wet alot it was in worse condition.

This was the flat shelves and some of the back hull where the battery boxes are. None of the corrosion was bad and easily came out with a good clean up but it looked worse then it was with the powder coat bubbling. Some parts were like brand new. Carpet where water can get is a BAD idea
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Lid off today. Holy maloney
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 7:42am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You hang in there Jake.
That is a dirty dirty job. But it looks really great already. Admire your fortitude, I'm guessing you won't be keen to do this again in a hurry.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Page  123 6>