Indicator floatant

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indicator floatant
    Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 12:03pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

I have had a lot of trouble trying to locate the mucilin liquid floatant.
Eventually found some that had just arrived instore but seems it is no longer in the
familiar dumpy bottle with the hour glass type function instead it is in a tiny thin bottle
with a brush similar to the setup with women's fingernail polish but smaller.

This might suit applying to dry flies but I found it rather useless for indicator yarn as
used the entire bottle pre treating a few short lengths of yarn. Plus like anything labelled
"flyfishing" is probably at least X 10 the price of identical product for other purposes.

Years ago can remember several people telling me they used a silicone aerosol spray can
specifically marketed for lubricating the "needles" on home knitting machines which worked
fine on indicators at a fraction of the cost.

Anyone here used it or heard of it being used & if so was I successful?

Years
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 12:13pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I know rod and reel had some as i got some from there....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishScene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:11pm
FishScene View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Bazza

The Mucilin Hour Glass floatant is still available, as I sell it in my shop and also use it on indicators (along with Loon Hydrostop). In Auckland, try Robert A Conaghan, 47 Normanby Road, Mt Eden as they are the agents and have a shop as well. Some customers go to Bunnings and buy a silicon spray but some don't work on yarn as well as others. Or I have a Silicone Oil Spray from Veniards that I sell as well. Regards Jeff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 2:41pm
Troon View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Bazza. I have used Selleys Watershield but have recently purchased a can of Atsko Silicone Water-Guard. I got it from Dwights Canvas (a camping store) in Wellington and its a heavy duty spray. There should be plenty of stockists in Auckland. I make indicators from polyyarn (don't like globug yarn) and I put them in a jar, spray (you don't need much), give it a shake, remove the indicators and shake off any excess and let them dry. Then repeat the procedure when they are thoroughly dry. You have an indicator that will float all day. I also make indicator dry flies and treat them the same way. Selleys Watershield is about $14 for 200g, the Atsko spray cost me $25 for 300g. So it's a little bit dearer but worth it in my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 3:06pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get onto Fishscene Bazza, Jeff knows his stuff and his prices are bloody good. I have always used the Mucilin Silione liquid and find it superior to everything else out there (especially gels), and especially for dries. I know indicator yarn is synthetic and it ‘should’ not soak, but it does somehow. I can get an easy 2-3 days on a single indicator by soaking prior and drying throughly.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 4:19pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know its not for the purest's or on the Tonga (obviously a big no,no there) but if im nymphing deep with big stuff, I always go those Thingamabobber's.  They cast way better than you will ever expect and will float when even the biggest of yarn indicators wont, and best of all they never waterlog. Plenty of NZ tackle stores stock them these days.

http://westwaterproducts.com/thingamabobber.html

Sorry if that's a bit of topic? Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 9:02pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by FishScene FishScene wrote:

Hi Bazza

The Mucilin Hour Glass floatant is still available, as I sell it in my shop and also use it on indicators (along with Loon Hydrostop). In Auckland, try Robert A Conaghan, 47 Normanby Road, Mt Eden as they are the agents and have a shop as well. Some customers go to Bunnings and buy a silicon spray but some don't work on yarn as well as others. Or I have a Silicone Oil Spray from Veniards that I sell as well. Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff

Further to our phone conversation I have placed an order for the Loon Hydrostop & will post cheque off in the morning.

Am sending cheque as could not see any provision on your site for paying by visa only cheque or paypal.

When we were talking on the phone you seemed to think PayPal would allow visa payment but as far as I am aware you need to be registered with them which I am / was but no longer use them due to the potential hassles involved. May be worth considering including a separate visa payment option or maybe even a provision for bank transfer.

Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 9:58am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Thanx Jeff ... floatant arrived a short while ago ... great service & price quite a bit less than for mucilin
plus more volume.

When treating indicator yarn is it best after soaking to squeeze excess back into the bottle or better to
leave it to dry without removing excess ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 11:51am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hydrastop is what a lot of commercial guys used to put on their 'deluxe' indicators, it's somewhat 'sticky' once dry, but lasts very well Bazza.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishScene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 5:22pm
FishScene View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Bazza. I like to dip the indicator into the Hydrostop then squeeze it out. I then lie it on plain cardboard and let slowly dry. It pays to find a warm room to leave them in rather than direct sun (which tends to fade yarn anyway). I haven't found it to be sticky once dry but if the room is cold it takes a few days to dry. Just recently did an order for a 1000 using Hydrostop and it took 3 days to fully dry but the shop has been rather cold in winter with no sun to warm it up. Hope this helps. Cheers Jeff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 9:04pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Thanx guys & if it is good enough for Andrew then enough said.

Hey Jeff all very well for you guys living in the tropical regions of Wellington but
how do you expect we disadvantaged Jaffas to find a warm room to dry things out?

Not to worry as still over 3 weeks until opening day so guess we may be lucky enough
to get a sunny day or two before then however even that could be in doubt given the
atrocious weather we poor Jaffas have had to endure of late!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishScene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 9:44am
FishScene View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Bazza, my heart truly bleeds for you. It must be hard knowing that there is another cold blast on the way!