GSP At Work

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GSP At Work
    Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 5:33pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is my GSP (My german girlfriend) in action over the last weekend of the 2015 season.
Getting the birds is a challenge on it's own, taking reasonable action photo's takes it to another level.
Here she is on the point, he's in here somewhere

The retrieve out of a dirty gully

Spoils of the chase

And to finish off with a humble bunny

For those that have not hunted over a handy dog it is an exciting past time, it sure gets my juices running.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 6:29am
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

love hunting them pines, i want one of them dogs, is she purely a bird dog feeder??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 12:04pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TB she is an all rounder, very good swimmer, nice soft mouth, no broken skin on any of the roosters or other birds, ie ducks, parries, Canada's.

Reds and fallow are her forte, I trust her nose completely, cant hazard a guess how many she has winded up and pointed, some I have shot off the seat of my scooter.

Goats, was semi commercial on these for a while, made me a heap of pingers off that nose.

GSP's are a people dog, need a fair bit of time to get them going but they never forget and all they want to do is please who ever is boss.

Intelligent breed, can teach them just about anything, if I'm working in my man cave or outside somewhere Louie will give her a note and she will come find me, waits till I write a reply them she will go back to Louie with the news, how cool is that.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:07pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ha ha awesome, she looks pretty content in them last pic's, dogs are awesome companions, how did you train her?? How much of what she does comes naturally??
That would just be invaluable, an all rounder like that.
Would she get confused between goats and sheep??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 9:27am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Their natural ability, heaps of it, just have to harness and not suppress it.
Pointing, they will point from a very young age, all you have to do is break them from jumping in off the point, a quite command of STAY will usually do the trick.

A couple of tips, NEVER let them self hunt, always hunt them under your control, nothing worse than a dog disappearing in the distance with it's owner red faced from yelling and screaming and doggie completely ignoring commands, better to let them go out in short bursts and bring it back in.

I prefer females, dogs can be very head strong and take a bit of handling, I would much rather do the bizo in a normal voice and this will quickly lead to hand signals which is ideal in the hunting situation.

Don't be tempted by someone else's cast off, they are bloody hard to break of bad habits and they will have plenty of these.

6/8 weeks is ideal age, short bursts of training, pups and kids are the same to bring up, love, care, good food and a little bit of discipline to set the boundarys and you have a wonderful companion that will give you and your family endless pleasure just as Heidi has done for us.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 6:00pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No problem with sheep/goats, they smell different.

Cheers