Matapouri Bay or Port Jackson? ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matapouri Bay or Port Jackson? ?
    Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 11:23pm
OnTheRocks View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We are doing a mish in 2 weeks but can't decide where to go! Ive heard Coro side is going pretty well but we have never been to Matapouri and out by the Mermaid Pools looks pretty good ? (:
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 12:23pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whats your target species ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 1:31pm
Gold
Gold

Good size snaps and what ever else comes our way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 8:11pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

long way to go either way for just snaps but especially top of coro, takes a long time, especially in winter, last winter the little bay bridge had collapse and the road can wash out so check the website first, but top of coro is good for kings, i find the snaps tend to be better up north. strictly talking land based. but either location has both. do you know where abouts north coro you would fish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 6:43am
Gold
Gold

Nah no idea mate. Always just fished the papa aroha islands over 30 times haha so wanted to head up further if we chose coro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 6:50am
Gold
Gold

Not to fust on traveling. We normally have an average dig for a king but always go back to getting a pb snap and getting a good feed for the wife and kids.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:54am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well kings and snap both at coro tip, xos kings. matapouri i find is a mixed bag. depends on which outcrop you fish. the old mermaid pools is a right hike and really needs a rope now. but id say a lot quicker to get to than port jackson or fletchers.

that easy spot over the hill from the camp site at PJ has always produced "something" for me. but i usually find around paparoha the same.

i remember as a kid those islands out from amodeo, i use to get dropped off for a toilet break and see 10lb snapper coming to the surface to feed on mussels etc. and before the trawlers came in the schools of ky use to be so thick and so frequent.

anyway i personally prefer coro, but tuts is an easier drive.

not sure if anyones done a report from whats been caught at either for a while now. but id be straylining for moochers and balooning for kings. either way if something does take it, make sure you got strong gear at this time of year they bound to be either a local moocher or an xos king.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 6:38am
Gold
Gold

Thanks heaps mate! Great advice. Cheers for taking the time. Coro here we come
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:04am
Gold
Gold

What is the walk like to Port Jackson? We have been fishing for years and been to Papa Aroha islands over 30 times but never made it up to the top so really keen to to have a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 8:06am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At Port Jackson campground, suss out the stream at first thing in the morning, change of light & put a live bait out for a king, some nice ones come out of there at times.
The "saddle" that FizFisho mentions is to the right of the hills that you will see from the campground. 15mins walk & is best in the last half of the outgoing tide, fishing into late afternoon/change of light. It gets a lot of fishing pressure as it is an easy access spot.

I would do the walk to the left of the campground, past the stream & go over the hill & through the gates & drop down on the platform, you will see it from the top of the hill... you will discover "new" mussels when you get back. Good for kings, snaps & kahawai. The water is shallow, similar to the "saddle" but gets less foot traffic there. It fishes well in a sou west wind on an out going tide, even tho the SW wind come directly from the auck area, the wind will be on your back if you fish the spot I am talking about

Do not rule out Fletcher bay & the Pinnacles. Campground & backpackers there. Its an hour walk to a hot & cold fishing possie, seen better kings come out of there, than PJ. Watch out if there is a ground swell coming in. Time your walk right as there is a place you will not be able to get through if the tide is 2.5hrs either side of high

All these places fish better either side of low, especially the last 2hrs of the outgoing, into late evening. You want to be up there from new moon to full moon & about 2-3 days after the full, around first quarter is ideal, after that it is barren. SE wind is bloody hard going but sort of ok to the left of PJ, but I wouldn't bother going up with a SE forecast
Unusual place up there, it is either on or off, even when you get the moon phase right. You don't want calm conditions either
Learn how to catch Piper, when Kings are on, most times there are no kahawai to be found, but there are heaps of piper... they love live piper

Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 5:47pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have fished both quite a bit especially Matapouri.

Port Jackson is a lot better for Kingfish, we usually at the very least see them in the area, and usually get a strike,  but I haven't had much luck for snapper there, in saying that we usually target Kingfish and fish in the middle of  sunny summer days.

Matapouri can be very good for snapper and the drive is a lot easier, I don't think you need a rope to get up that track, we went there last year and it was fine .  And the southern end of the beach can be pretty good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 5:53pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

At Port Jackson campground, suss out the stream at first thing in the morning, change of light & put a live bait out for a king, some nice ones come out of there at times.
The "saddle" that FizFisho mentions is to the right of the hills that you will see from the campground. 15mins walk & is best in the last half of the outgoing tide, fishing into late afternoon/change of light. It gets a lot of fishing pressure as it is an easy access spot.

I would do the walk to the left of the campground, past the stream & go over the hill & through the gates & drop down on the platform, you will see it from the top of the hill... you will discover "new" mussels when you get back. Good for kings, snaps & kahawai. The water is shallow, similar to the "saddle" but gets less foot traffic there. It fishes well in a sou west wind on an out going tide, even tho the SW wind come directly from the auck area, the wind will be on your back if you fish the spot I am talking about

Do not rule out Fletcher bay & the Pinnacles. Campground & backpackers there. Its an hour walk to a hot & cold fishing possie, seen better kings come out of there, than PJ. Watch out if there is a ground swell coming in. Time your walk right as there is a place you will not be able to get through if the tide is 2.5hrs either side of high

All these places fish better either side of low, especially the last 2hrs of the outgoing, into late evening. You want to be up there from new moon to full moon & about 2-3 days after the full, around first quarter is ideal, after that it is barren. SE wind is bloody hard going but sort of ok to the left of PJ, but I wouldn't bother going up with a SE forecast
Unusual place up there, it is either on or off, even when you get the moon phase right. You don't want calm conditions either
Learn how to catch Piper, when Kings are on, most times there are no kahawai to be found, but there are heaps of piper... they love live piper

Good luck

good advice, and I agree with that kahawai comment , it's often very hard to find them, which is surprising, we often see more kingfish than kahawai,  and only 1/10 times have we had plenty of kahawai .

And so you need permission to walk over the hills on the left side of the beach? I always thought it was private land , but i'm not sure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:32pm
Gold
Gold

Wow awesome advice and tips guys! Better then a book! I have an inflatable with a yam 2hp which could open up options or make things easier?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:38pm
Gold
Gold

Is snapper rock worth a look or not really?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 1:58pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by OnTheRocks OnTheRocks wrote:

If I had access to an inflatable , I would go as far away as possible from Snapper rock.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:23pm
Bricky View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by nickstaa nickstaa wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheRocks OnTheRocks wrote:

If I had access to an inflatable , I would go as far away as possible from Snapper rock.

While I agree, I have seen and caught some pretty good Kings there, biggest being 18kg and plenty from 10-15kg. Also saw the biggest king of my life there a few years back, swear it had to have been 40kg, cruising along the ledge at my feet, thought it was a dolphin at first.

I haven't fished there for maybe 2-3 years though and you're normally very lucky to be fishing it alone. Worth a crack if you find it empty and don't fancy a long walk.

As you said though, far better options available with the inflatable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:28am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by nickstaa nickstaa wrote:

good advice, and I agree with that kahawai comment , it's often very hard to find them, which is surprising, we often see more kingfish than kahawai,  and only 1/10 times have we had plenty of kahawai .

And so you need permission to walk over the hills on the left side of the beach? I always thought it was private land , but i'm not sure
Good idea to ask, the farmers house is the one that you will walk past on the way up.
To be honest, over the years, we have never done that, just waved out when he has driven past on his quad. Leave gates as you found them, stick to the established tracks, take your rubbish home
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 12:11pm
Gold
Gold

Is this the spot nick?? (:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 6:29pm
Bricky View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think the spot mentioned previously is Kaiiti Point which is closer to PJ than Blairs. Have fished it a few times with varying results, always asked for the farmers permission and he's a really good dude. Walk back up the hill can be a pain, especially in the wet.