weather

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weather
    Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 7:23pm
gunner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A few years ago I used to look at the weather a few days before I wanted to go fishing, look at the wind forecast foe the day and if it all lined up off I would go. Then I started using swellmap and met service with their ratings for the day and ignoring the actual forecast but I think I was better off before as the ratings lately have been all over the place tending to be very conservative. Take Saturday swellmap and metservice both had low rating getting bad and yet you could have fished all day no worries same last weekend. Is it just me or are the sites being very conservative for me I'm going back to how I used to do it and just looking at the wind how much and where from.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 8:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

weather maps are a guide only,i make my mind up on the day,last weekend perfect.
i guess they tend to err on side of caution as they have been caught out with some cyclones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 8:13pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yesterday was mean flat as when 10-15 knots was forecast. If I go and don't fancy going out when I reach the ramp or beach I will happily turn back home. Plus try to fish spots that will offer shelter if you really must go. Approve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 9:29pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

http://www.windfinder.com/

will look like this when you have located your fishing area, gives wind for every 3hrs, 7days they have maps as well.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 8:17am
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

swell map i pretty much add 1-2 to their rating. 

e.g. 6 is usually a 7 or 8.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Swell map.. forget the swell..  make use of the wind map and take particular not of direction and wind speed of the wind retaliation to the tide/ current run and where u intend to go... and direction and distance between iso bars
With all the islands , current directions, then throw in lea of the land.. then on that the valleys...one with just a little experience and common sense can reliably plan out trip 3 to 7 days ahead.
BUT keep in mind that late winter early spring tends to be unstable... eg Sun  and today, 6 days ago was good, breaking up tomorrow, clearing again late thursday / frid... and same around mid / late march
The systems time frames slowed down by  last frid by 24 hrs (cancelled monday) With NNE coming down into the gulf.. on the other hand reasonably calm in the Tamaki straight .. if u are prepared to put up with the rain.

In my books reliable weather forecasting is when one can plan out a trip 5 to 7 days ahead, and watching the maps , note any changes and if necessary still be able to give 3 to 4 days notice of cancelling ... reliably

Here is an example of how location s can be so very different.
One can pull out of Maraeti.. dead calm....200ms out hit heavy chop, breaking crests....hit the bottom end Waiheke channel , mirror flat right out to the otherside of Shagg rock in the Furth on a outgoing tide... wind change to a SE and pick up with a tide change and all outside the islands chops up nasty, chop back thru the channel and rather smooth back across the Tamaki Channel

But hey.. look at the short weather forcast before going out.. u will know when tide changes and when the wing moves around and plan accordingly.

Its not rocket science... thats all done for us by NASA and the weather computer models... we just add localised knowledge and commonsence.

Today has been the 4th postponement we have made in 3 +yrs..all with at least 3 days notice....and we get out quite a few times each month all yr round.

So right now.. I will stick my neck out here.
Tue nope
But around 11pm/ midnight tues looking good.. would make sure back in around 7am thurs morning.. all NW breezes..good east coast stuff, but expect a little chop when wind against current.
Then around 3am Frid looking good to the afternoon, but watch the chop east end Tamaki straight. if wind against tide.. but its not in the arvo,
Sat sunday changeable
With what looks like a nice window next monday / tues

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 12:23pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Becoming northerly 30 knots and rain setting in.

Lets see whose right " steps"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 4:09pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right???
And Who is "who"

I have said 5 to 7 days one can plan out and reliably cancel 3 days before espec  at this time of yr...
Weather either slows down.. usually or speeds up coming across the Tasman
Here is Frids wind/ iso bars

Here is the current iso bar/ wind run map for 6am Frid.

Thats good enough to plan a trip out ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 4:31pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 4:42pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

predict wind and metsrve both have nw 25+ so saturday not looking good and rain 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:07pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its not and exact science only a prediction like pjc said ,you can only take the info and decide your self if it will work for you .The forecast might be going  10 Knots in the morning to 25 knots N.E in the avo,do you bale at 10 am so you don't get the bjesus kicked out of you .Do you hang in till 12 and risk a kicking .Maybe the 25 knots  kicks in  at 9 am and you get a kicking anyway .All the above happen and its you the skipper that has to make the call ,don't blame the weather services as they are only the messenger Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:23pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Right???
And Who is "who"

I have said 5 to 7 days one can plan out and reliably cancel 3 days before espec  at this time of yr...
Weather either slows down.. usually or speeds up coming across the Tasman
Here is Frids wind/ iso bars

Here is the current iso bar/ wind run map for 6am Frid.

Thats good enough to plan a trip out ...

At this stage that pattern could be as predicte or 24 hours earlier or 36 hours later.  I am planning (to be "sick" on Friday) but I might get "better" if the wind takes a turn for the worse.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 10:59pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I wake about 7am check weather on my phone,make grilled chease on toast then go look at the water from the Papamoa Pony club.
If it looks ok and the tides right, I'll drag the Ark down to Sulpur point and go fishn.
Or I'll mow a few lawns and go in the arvo, tide dependantApprove

Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 2:48am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Even swell map predicts not good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:36am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Walu Walu wrote:

I wake about 7am check weather on my phone,make grilled chease on toast then go look at the water from the Papamoa Pony club.
If it looks ok and the tides right, I'll drag the Ark down to Sulpur point and go fishn.
Or I'll mow a few lawns and go in the arvo, tide dependantApprove

Sounds like a good life Walu!   Always good to actually look at water if you can.

I have to plan my missions in advance and juggle weather, work and family like Steps does - and living now in Mt Albert, I find on Manukau weather is changeable on the day as forecast plus or minus 5 knots and often 10kts forecast and is closer to 20ts with tide flow and channels to consider as well, but depends a lot on wind direction.  If going over bar I recheck forecast night before and in morning before heading off as it can change/worsen quickly.

Big differences between West and East Coasts IMO?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 8:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It seems some look ahead and find weather windows.. espec this time of yr went things are unstable....ID a couple.. plan around the window organise a crew...etc well out to give crew time to organise time as well.
I ID 3 possible above between yesterday and next monday....choose 2 possibles.
Keep an eye on how weather formations developed and around 3 days out know if the weather window has moved 12 or 24 hrs.. as stated above and notify crew if on or not.. giving them  heaps time to organise or re organise.

I do not see the issue with doing so.... its a positive outlook to getting out on the water as much as possible right?     and works be it fishing or organising any other event...
Yet others are so damn negative... weather forecasts are BS attitude  and complain when weather changes on them or doesnt suit THEIR plans.. or modify their plans to suit tides and lea of land stuff.

OK so u reckon how I and a lot of others, including farmers, event organisers, etc cant plan that way.....
We instead of posting up neg stuff as to someone's methods predictions....lets just see how u are planning a trip out... oh yeah thats right dont plan.. head out hope for the best and get hit with bad weather and complain...

Planning trips, is consideration to crew..enable them to get out far more often as well.. so they too can organise time work etc....

By describing how and why we plan like this is to give other who would like to get out more often but dont because of weather and time/ work organisation....help others out
Not a bloody ***** session with those who refuse to accept modern weather models are reliable enough to do so and a negative attitude.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:00am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not having a crew, has advantages - one being, when weather changes, no problem arranging and fitting with other's plans.
I tried the precise detail from Metoceans (in Metservice , swellmap, etc etc), but decided that it wasn't accurate enough - ie appears its not feasible to estimate wind speed that precisely. So, I went back to the good old Metservice marine forecast - no pretence of precision, wind speeds 5,10, 15 knots. Mostly I think its fairly close, except timing is often a bit out, eg a wind change happens a few hours different from their prediction - so when weather is unsettled, things can go pear shaped.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:36am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

I've been using PredictWind and found it pretty good. They take the two big global data feeds and process those. The better the correlation between the two feeds, the more likely the forecast is to be accurate. The other thing that's very handy is the Coastguard Nowcast app if you're trying to make any last minute calls on if/where you're going to go.

Having said all that, there's no such thing as a dead cert as I'm sure we all know and a forecast is simply that, a best estimate. You can't beat having a squizz out the window and adding that to the mix either. NZ is a pretty tricky land mass to forecast by all accounts, and overall I think our weather people do a pretty good job.

Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:18am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use a mixture of sites but have found Buoyweather to be the best for wind predictions to date

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 3:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unfortunately weather windows fall on work days so of us rely on forecasts when planning weekend trips and this weekend is a pkay by ear unlike previous weekend.yes would of gone out despite rain.but family events take precedent at the moments
Page  12>