Tuna Time

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (14) Likes(14)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuna Time
    Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:03pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The trip last year to Westport ended with the tuna coming out on top. We hooked 3 and busted all 3 off with 1 big boy rolling under the boat and busting the leader. The plan was made pretty much then and there to return and do battle again.

Leaving Westport.
l               l
Hoki boats doing their thing.

Hooked up last year. About 14 hrs fighting 3 fish for nada in 1 hard core fishing session.

After some 2 weeks of weather watching, trailer refurbishment and general organizing of ferries bait and gear, we were ready and amping to go. 

We left the King Country Tuesday about 6pm to make the freight ferry at 2.30 in the morning. The trip down was a good one with little traffic and no real hassle. We met a house on a truck that had us up on the footpath for a while and we were spectators in a truck vs truck episode at the ferry terminal which was an interesting sideshow. But we were on the ferry and heading closer to Westport. Another good run had us in Westport for lunch on Wednesday. 

The plan was to see Cherie at Talleys, grab our bait that we had pre-arranged. The people at Tallys have been really helpful on both of our trips with bait, ice bins and storing our fish in the chiller. That done we shot down to the servo and gabbed 460 litres of fuel. Next stop was a quick look at the bar. The bar was fine but the sea was crap 15+ knots of south-wester and whitecaps galore. A call to Steve on the Cova-Rose and the call was made to leave Thurs morning.

Thursday comes fast and in no time we are hunting the Hoki fleet. A check on AIS confirms the worst- the fleet is well south, below the hokitika trench. We decide to try a couple of Korean vessels that are close. Short and long of it was 6 hrs for no sign of tuna and dark setting in.

Its time to go all in and head South on a sea that is getting better by the hour. We find the main fleet and kiwi boats some 150kms from Westport on an oil-slick flat sea about  9.30pm. 

After trying a couple of boats while they were hauling for no sign a call comes on the radio from Seabird- "There's a Russian boat about to haul are You coming". So hammer down to catch him we slide up 10 feet from the trawlers stern just as the bag is going in. Bait in and instantly we are into a fish. Seabird hooks up as well and life on the sea is suddenly very good.

Having only 2 people on board makes the hook-up and the end game very hectic, but we know what to expect and soon settled into the fight. These fish are tough but probably their cunning fight style causes the most trouble. They happily go from pulling out 20kg of drag to chasing you as you try to gain control. They bee line for other trawlers and boats, dive 400m then come straight back to the top- You name it they try it.

After 3 and 1/2 hours we are at the business end. I get a hold of the leader, Terry backs of the drag and puts the rod in the holder. When's he's sorted with the flying gaff I start lifting the fish to within range. ****loads of pressure has me praying my crimps are good and the end is near. The fish pops up and the gaff is in. 

Instant elation is tempered by the fact that we need to get this fish in the boat and closer to home. I've forgotten to mention we are now in some average sea with the Rehua reporting 20knot easterlies. 

Cova-Rose calls up to see if we are floating still and offers to take our fish home as they are keen to get out of dodge as well. The dangers of pulling a big fish into a 6m boat in what now is a really crap sea makes it easy. Yeah come and get it. 7 hours of punching a Nor-easter and we are back home to westport very happy to be in the calm of the harbour.

271 kgs of plans, dreams and memories. Thanks Talleys, Cova-rose, Seabird and skippers on the hoki boats. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:19pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Man that's a hell of a well deserved result.
Thanks for taking the time to inform us.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowannicks@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:54pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome report. Huge effort. Glad it paid dividends.
I miss killing things in NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 3:17pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A mammoth and very well deserved effort ClapClap stuff the 7 hr ride home though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 3:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a really well written report, what an amazing effort and it all comes from a well planned A game but good old PlanB delivered the goods. Wicked result for two guys on a small boat. Liked.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 4:01pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great effort guys well done. Makes it all worthwhile when it all comes together like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockstar from Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 5:52pm
Rockstar from Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done sink very satisfying after all the hard work and planning to pull it off you must be stoked....
Winning.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 6:32pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can't stop myself.
I'm very impressed with all those who even try let alone succeed in doing this.
It is without doubt a feat in all areas of seamanship, fishing skills, comradeship and benevolence from those who support you out there.
I believe those who do have nuts larger than mine and skills and fortitude of committements that truley deserves the accolade of "EPIC".
I hope do the same, but pushing my surtees 5.5 may be to far for me and will look at a chance to hitch a ride with someone also.
Brilliant result boys!
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 8:12pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow

Congrats on a very well earned fish!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 8:42pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Eoic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 9:29pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Awesome work guys... Congratulations !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 7:00am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Amazing feat guys, well doneThumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 7:54am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Congratulations that is an epic achievement .
Out of curiosity how much fuel did you use in total ?.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 8:16am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Congratulations that is an epic achievement .
Out of curiosity how much fuel did you use in total ?.
Hey there Angler. Our boat is a 6.7 Surtees with a 200hp 4 stroke.We had 460 ltrs on board and used 360. The motor was running for around 30hrs straight. You have to be proactive to catch as many boats as you can when they are hauling. The skipper of a hoki boat might call you with say 20 mins till he hauls. So then the first task is to locate him in the dark amongst a whole bunch of ships. You then work out if you can get to him in time, hit the gas, get a fresh hoki rigged and hopefully you are there before the bag goes in. 20mins goes real fast and its an exciting way to fish.
 I think its important with these fish to do everything you can think of to get that 1 bite. We used top quality 300lb flouro. Super mutu circles. We blacked out the crimps. The bait was fresh-unfrozen straight off the boat. 80 wide tiagras, 20kgs of drag, spooled with 60kg nylon and fishing stand-up.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:34am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you reaped the rewards of good planning and preparation , thats not too bad fuel usage for petrol as I'm assuming you did quite a bit of zoom zooming , how many days did you sleep for when you got home ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:43am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not a lot of sleeping mate. Vacuum packed fish yesterday and had a couple of little people catching up on dad's "big adventure". Just cruising today though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazy Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 1:50pm
Crazy Horse View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done guys. Long way to go so you were well rewarded. They are great fish and only those that are lucky enough to be able to go down there to see and be part of the magic can truly understand what it is like.
The thing I wonder about is what these fish would be like condition wise before they spawn. When they are here they are at there low point because they have finished their spawn.
Again well done boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 2:19pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Crazy Horse I think you just have to look at the condition of Donna Pascoe's fish to see what the difference is, her fish is much fatter than any of the west coast fish. Would be nice to know what the length and girth of her fish was compared to some of the bigger ones caught down off Greymouth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 2:46pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great result there sink Thumbs Up epic trip well done.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 6:23pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

totally awesome result guys, congrates on your fish... Handshake

i still think the meat from one of those beasts is the best around.
looks like a steak cooks like a steak tastes like fish funny as hell, but very nice.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Page  12>